Find
Notify
Tools

Elk Steaks..mmmmmmmmm.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted
Just had some..... We cut them almost an inch thick..... The wife marinated them all day in Italian dressing..... Steaming Potatos.... Hot Garlic Bread...... Grilled to a perfect Medium Rare..... So Tender and Juicy...... Food coma is comeing on.....mmmmmmmmm.....zzzzzzzzzzzz......

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
<dla>
posted
How would you know they were Elk after marinating them in Italian dressing all day? You could be eating tennis shoes from Goodwill cooking like that.

one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dla:
How would you know they were Elk after marinating them in Italian dressing all day? You could be eating tennis shoes from Goodwill cooking like that.

I've used the same Italian dressing trick, and to my initial surprise the meat does not acquire any strong taste. It is really quite a mild marinade and you can still taste the original critter! [Smile]

I've used Italian salad dressing as a quick marinade when I didn't have time to do anything fancier... it is pretty damn good!

This is not too surprising if you read the ingredients and compare that to many recipes for marinades...

Cheers

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
About 30 years ago the the at-the-time Governor of Wyoming's wife gave her recipe for elk steak and roast marinade. Twenty four hours in 7-UP !! At the time I was mildly revolted, but tried it anyway. It's great. Tenderizes and leaves no hint of 7-UP taste. Add herbs to taste. Works for antelope too.

Posts: 3 | Location: NW New Mexico | Registered: 17 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
DLA, you ought to give it a try. Just do one steak incase you don't like it. The wife is makeing a crockpot Elk roast for tonight.....

[ 11-12-2003, 21:00: Message edited by: Lar45 ]

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
"Lar45" You are making me hungry we dont have any Elk in Kansas but one heck of a lot of deer. I am going to try it on Bambi this weekend. [Smile]

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lar45, sounds good. I also tried the Jack Daniels marinade on deer and it was the best I ever had. My wife never wants anything on her meat and when I tasted hers it was tough and dry. She wants NO pink in the middle, some women never learn I guess. Thawing 2 roasts now to make sauerbraton.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried the Jack Daniels marinade. Is is just straight Jack? or do you add something else. The roast was very good BTW. I'm hopeing to get the Salami back from the butcher soon. The wife is feeling good enough that we will try to get out this weekend and find one for her to shoot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lar45, no it is an actual marinade. I don't think it has any booze in it. It is really good though. It makes the meat tender and juicy without taking away the meat flavor. Makes it taste better in fact.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote