New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lube before sizing?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
It has been mentioned that you can size your bullet then run it through a luber with a die that is about .001" larger than the bullet. In looking through the Lee info on their sizer dies they state to lube before running the bullet through the die to keep lead from building up on the wall of the die. This seems counter productive.

Has anyone had a problem with running unlubed bullets through the Lee sizer die?

Thanks,

Posts: 78 | Location: CA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Currently I am sizing my bullets nose first in a gizmo that mounts in a press, much like the Lee does. My gizmo uses standard RCBS/Lyman size dies. I have no trouble sizing unlubed bullets .006 and adding a gas check at the same time this way. I then take the same die out, put it in my Lyman 450 and lube. Smooth as glass!

Posts: 263 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Byron, I have used the Lee dry and lubed and see no difference except the force needed. Run one lubed boolit through first, the next are easy. I always lube my boolits by hand if they don't need sized and run them either through the Lee or a tube I made just to remove excess lube. I suppose if you push soft boolits dry through the Lee, you might get some lead. I also use the RCBS to seat checks and lube with a die that does not size or just barely touches the boolit. It is not neccessary to size a boolit unless it is a lot larger then the bore or throat and doesn't chamber.
Just do what is easiest for you and you will be OK.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
<ben.>
posted
i sometimes use case spray lube b4 running unlubed bullets
thru the lee sizer, or sometimes not. this depends on how hard and amount sized. this works good. you can rinse the lube or leave it. this works for me. this one hand typing is for the birds. if it was my right would be ok. been a month on my shoulder surgery. still taking pain pills. i think therapy keeps it aggrevated. ben.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I give "raw" boolits a very light coat of thinned-down Lee Liquid Alox, and then shoot 'em with a hair dryer before sizing. Seems to work pretty well. I haven't tried it, but I'd guess that you could apply "real" lube right over a lightly Aloxed boolit.

I sure do sympathize, ben. I know how that wrong-handed typing goes. When I was in that situation, I learned real quick how to find the backspace key.

Posts: 300 | Location: W. New Mexico | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ben, WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT??? Do you mean you can type with two hands? I've been typing for years---ONE FINGER!!!
Sorry about the shoulder. My daughter had it and therapy broke loose the staples and she had to get another operation. They also removed too much bone or cartilidge the first time. After two years, she is still messed up.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys, thanks for the feedback. Your thoughts also triggered one for me. I use Imperial Sizing Wax when sizing brass and since it is applied with your fingers a quick spin of the bullet between the fingers would probably work too.

Later,

Posts: 78 | Location: CA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I run 'em through to seat the gas checks, then tumble lube with the liquid alox. No problems so far in .338, .358 and .416 calibers. Hey, it works for me, but my boolits don't need that much sizing. Your results may vary.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quick question... What do you use to thin Lee liquid alox? I have two bottles that I have never used. But the other day I looked at it, and it seemed that the level had lowered in the bottles, and the stuff was thicker than I remembered. May just be my faulty memory, but?????????

Posts: 353 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
I had a bottle of Lee Liquid that was darn near solid -- I recovered it by thinning with lighter fluid. I suspect that there is something cheaper for this, so I will watch for other replies!

jpb

Quote:

Quick question... What do you use to thin Lee liquid alox? I have two bottles that I have never used. But the other day I looked at it, and it seemed that the level had lowered in the bottles, and the stuff was thicker than I remembered. May just be my faulty memory, but?????????

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just about any solvent will work, but Lee uses mineral spirits. So, I do too.

Posts: 300 | Location: W. New Mexico | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just to see how thin it would go, I thinned out the (Lee) Alox with mineral spirits. You can use an amazing amount of minieral spirits and when cool it will gell!

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
Byron, I assume that you are getting leading from the bullets that you lube and then size. If not, it duzzent matter....'cept for whatever is most convenient for you. I've used Lee's Earwax exclusively for years because it is convenient- lubed and then sized- problems with leading were always due to a poor throat/groove diameter/bullet fit.

Regards.....