New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bator 358-260
 Login/Join

Picture of Paul H
posted
Since the clan is here, I thought I'd also bring this one up to see what other's results have been with the big bullet. I've shot a fair number through my 350 Rigby, but results are inconclusive. I can get around 1" groups @ 50 yds, but I have to seat the bullets out long to keep the gas check in the neck, and when I do that, I get serious engraving on the nose. Honestly I think the ogive is too short on the nose, and it would have been better to have a .350" bore riding nose, or a longer ogive. I keep debating having Mountain Molds make the mold the way I think it should be.

Just wondering if anyone has had better results with the bullet.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
........Going from memory about what was posted at Shooters, I believe that the heavier 35 cal slug was presenting others with some problems. I don't recall a, "Eureka, this is THE bullet" type post :-). The lighter slug appeared to have a more positive result. FWIW.

.........Buckshot

Posts: 119 | Location: Redlands, Calif | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got both molds and wish they would have made the 200(mine goes 230!) in the 6 cavity and the 260 in the two cavity because I am having same issues as you with 260 [Frown] I am going to see if the 260 will do well in a factory long throated 357 max that I have. Not interested in velocity, only accuracy, just might be the ticket for that .4 inch long funnel.

regards,
Graycg

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had mucho luck with the lighter of the two, and will be experimenting with some lighter bullets.
The heavy bullet was not behaving well at the velocities I was trying to push it to, but suspect when I slow things down it should shoot well.
However, with the 200 (weighs 233 from my mold) shooting at or near my desired velocity(2150fps+/-) with very acceptable recoil, I'm not sure I see a real use for my heavy mold now. It may go on the auction block this winter if I can't find a real application for it.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I just had a lightbulb go on. If the lube groove is the same dia as the gas check shank, and I think it is, then I could run a fly cutter over the base of the mold and remove the gas check shank and last driving band. This will allow me to seat the bullet deep enough in the case for easy chambering, and the bullet will still be heavy enough of the intended use. I'll have to cast up about 50 of them, individually lathe cut the bases, and see how they work before modifying the mold though.

I wished I'd bought one of the 200 gr molds as well, since they are actually 230-240 gr. Since I already have a 200 gr WFN, I didn't think I'd need/want another one, and for the price, I should of snapped it up. Oh well, live and learn.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote