Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet size for 44mag
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted
I have a Dan Wesson 44mag that the throat is .427 I ordered a reamer to make it .4325. It is a little larger than I originally wanted, but it was all Brownells had and I have been told it is in SAMI(sp) specs.

1. My question is what would be the proper size for a cast bullet with this throat size?

2. How large a cast bullet can you get in a 44mag shell with out bulging it?

I have a Lyman 4 cavity Cowboy bevel base mold and a Keith style mold.

I haven’t measured the bullets as cast but will do so this weekend.

Thanks for your assistance.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1. My question is what would be the proper size for a cast bullet with this throat size?

Check you barrel groove diameter before reaming. The throats should be .0005" to .001" larger than the barrel groove diameter. Check it before you go and ream it. Alot of barrels run .429" to .430" with throats running .4335" to .434"

2. How large a cast bullet can you get in a 44mag shell with out bulging it?

Don't worry about a bulged case as long as it doesn't chamber with difficulty. A .432" bullet will bulge a case, but does no harm.

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I emailed Dan Wesson Arms but they have not replied.

Does anyone have a new 44mag Dan Wesson made in Norwich, NY if so would you measure the throat size for me. Mine is Stainless Steel but I don't think it makes any difference.

Thanks

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Swede I own two Super Black hawks in .44mag & cast 240grn keith type out of a RCBS twin cav mould which throughs about 431 but I size back to 429 just to be on the safe side ,when I get to and gas check em and up the verlosities to the max

all times wasted wot's not spent shootin

Posts: 569 | Location: Flinders Ranges. South Australia | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
size your bullet to fit the throat. Don't cut your throat till you know the size of your barrel. I don't care who made your gun the size of even same brand guns run all over the field.
A round $40 will get the throats cut to the right size by a gunsmith. IF YOU DO HAVE TO CUT YOUR THROATS.Whats the point if you cut them to large. Yes I like doing my own work but what the point if if is not done right.You save nothing and it gives no pride in what you have done.

Life but a knife edge anyway.Sooner or later the man slips and gets cut.
YOU AIN'T SLIPPED SIR?
How would you know son.
(Streets Of Laredo)

Posts: 112 | Location: Bonetown,South Dakota | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two Model 29's both have .433 throats from the factory. I ended up with a mold from LBT that casts at .4335 or .434 with wheel weights, a 280 LNFPGC and had a sizer die honed to give my a sized diameter of .432, the grooves in both guns are .430 and .429. They both shoot extremely well with this bullet at 1000 fps and 1300 fps and it is deadly on deer and hogs. I have no problem with leading or bulging cases. I highly reccomend the LBT molds. You want the bullet to conform to the throat diameter, ~ .001 clearance, a push fit. I've shot literally thousands of cast .44's during my IHMSA career and this is the drill that worked for me.

Posts: 273 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote