New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Need help with a Lyman/
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I think I understand what you're saying now FG. I have the top round head that holds the top of the shaft.

So the shaft turns, the plunger locks down on the lube stick (can't turn with the shaft), and as the shaft is cranked down with the rachet wrench it pushes the plunger into the lube forcing it down, and into the die.

So all I need to do is weld a flat (like a big nail head) or a washer on the bottom end of the shaft right? Something that will fit with that lower housing part and help seal lube from leaking.

Thanks for the help on this. The unit seems stronger than the newer Lymans, and I picked it up for nothing.

I've used Lee tumble lube in the past, and always wanted to lube just the grooves for a cleaner handling bullet. I've ordered some of LBT's soft blue, cause Veral said it would work good without heat.

Thanks for the help. Don't know why I'm not getting an email notice on these replies.

ML

one of us
posted Hide Post
marlinlover:

Yep, you got it. But since the Lyman relies on a close fit of the shaft head to the recess at the bottom of the reservoir to keep from squirting the lube out from under, you'll have to do a careful cleanup and fitting job after welding. Better phone Lyman (1-800-22-LYMAN) and order a spare shaft (part No. 2990559) for a few bucks, just in case. Also, ask for a copy of their "Reloading and Cast Bullet Guide" booklet; the parts diagram for the "Old Style" No. 450 Lube-Sizer shows the shaft and how it fits into the tool, same as in the No. 45 (the "New Style" has a separate baseplate and o-ring, which doesn't work worth a darn).

floodgate

one of us
posted Hide Post
Marlinlover,
I have the Lyman guide from 5/84.
It has the sheets on a 450.
If they would be of help to you, send me your address, and I will send you a copy of the 5 pages, old and new style 450 sizer. - Lew
lewisgoldstein@aol.com

Posts: 66 | Location: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: 19 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Marlinlover,
I have the Lyman Guide from 5/84.
It has the sheets on the old and new style 450 sizer.
If they would be of help to you, send me your address, and I will send you a copy. - Lew
lewisgoldstein@aol.com

Posts: 66 | Location: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: 19 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic Lewis!

Address is on the way. Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
This subject seems pretty much a "done deal"...... but, for what it's worth...There is a replacement kit for the 450 that will interchange with the old #45.
It is part number 2745817 and includes;
-Reservoir cover(P/N 2990598)
-Pressure Nut (P/N 2990146)
-O-Rings(2) (P/N 2990689)
-Seal Plug O-Ring (P/N 2990623)
-Seal Plug (P/N 2990546)
-Pressure Screw (P/N 2990559)
All of the above parts, with shipping, comes to under $15.00 (Yankee dollars.)
I didn't use the new reservoir cover as I prefered my old one in it's original color of orange...The new one is black. Also, as someone mentioned, you need to keep a small thin washer, about .025, under the head of the pressure screw to keep it from leaking. (Just center the washer on the screw head, and then mount the unit).
You can order this right from the Lyman web site, or at least you could just a few months back.
Good luck with old 45, they were, and are, a real jewell.
Russ

Posts: 65 | Location: Washington State, Columbia Basin | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Russ...

For all those parts I just may order the lot.

Sounds good.

ML

one of us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, the "button" on the end of the shaft was probably sheared off by someone using too much effort to turn the screw against the hardened lub in the tube of the sizer. Don't ask me how I know, but I have made the same reapir you are involved in

Posts: 121 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Marlinlover, I will mail your info tomorrow.
45Nut - I will send you a copy of the manual to post for all to use. - Lew

one of us
posted Hide Post
Excellent ! Thanks a Bunch !

Posts: 538 | Location: elsewhere | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote