New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel Break in
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is the best procedure for bbl break in. New bbl, will shoot 97% cast 24" 35 Whelen. I plan on 2-5 shot groups with a dousing of Ed's Red between them, medium velocity and the longest bearing surface I can find [Lee custom 260 gr]. I welcome your opinions, Gianni.

Posts: 65 | Location: Western MT | Registered: 27 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John, just built a 35 Whelen my own self last year. Real nice Shilen bbl. I not only had to break in barrel, but also fire form brass (necked up '06). I did the fire forming and break in with 358156 boolits and either Green Dot or Unique. Did NOT shoot a single 'j' bullet through it, probably never will. Shoot and clean without over heating. Once I had all my brass fire formed and settled on a load, I no longer clean the bbl, and accuracy is superb. A little JB Bore paste wouldn't hurt if there are any rough or tight spots. btw, I shoot the 358009 Improved boolit - Two hunert and eighty grains of rompin' stompin' poke a hole through ya chunk of lead and home made lube. sundog

Posts: 287 | Location: Koweta Mission, OK | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote