New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where to get lead??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've been reloading for 12 years and want to start casting for my pistols. I've seen lead on eBay pretty cheap but I don't want to have to order it because of shipping. Where are most of you guys getting lead locally?? I want to see if I can find some cheap... or free

Thanks,
Brandon

Posts: 28 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MY LOCAL PRINT SHOP DONATED A HUGE BAR OF LINOTYPE TO ME A COUPLE YRS AGO. I THOUGHT THAT WAS REAL NICE OF THEM. YOU MIGHT TRY THERE.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Full service gas stations usually have 5 gallon buckets full of wheel weights. That's where I usually get mine. Most of the time they will just give them to you, but I will normally give them anywhere between 10-20 dollars depending on how clean they are and to show my thanks. It is still much cheaper than buying lead and alloying yourself, plus WW metal does just fine for the type of shooting and hunting I do.

Posts: 135 | Location: San Antonio, Tx | Registered: 18 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wheel weights are free, but I like HBL's suggestion of giving them $10-20 for it. A lot of the big tire shops sell all the used weights to foundries and recyclers. If a small shop can get $10 a bucket from reloaders, they are less likely to sign a contract with the foundry for $50 a truckload.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote