Find
Notify
Tools

tested special .357 bullet
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi All!
I finally tested the .357 bullet from the special order Lee 6 cavity mold. The 180 gascheck. A max load of 2400 with this gascheck bullet and alox grease( sized .358) printed 8 rounds you can cover with a quarter. It was shot off the corner of the garage at a range of 15 yards ( no rest) as it was too muddy to go anywhere else. The target was a pizza cardboard with a big dot made by a bingo marker. Real scientific-huh?

I guess velocity at 1200 fps or more. I suspect this load would shoot thru a deer, but I don't really know. I intend to find out, though. The rifle was a Win 94 with peep sights. This load printed 1/2 inch high of point of aim at 15 with my normal 50 yard zero.

This bullet will shoot good enough for me..... Dale

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is."
Jan L. A. de Snepscheut

Posts: 301 | Location: Xenia,Il. 62899 | Registered: 14 November 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Out of a rifle barrel, you're probably doing more like 1500 fps. It should have no problem shooting through a deer!

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Paul,

The only data I had handy was for a 169 gr bullet in a revolver for 1242 fps. I didn't want to claim something more until it was chronographed... I would really be happy with 1500fps and that slug. Nice when things work out good..... Dale

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is."
Jan L. A. de Snepscheut

Posts: 301 | Location: Xenia,Il. 62899 | Registered: 14 November 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
From testing I've done in a 44 mag, I'm lead to believe a 20" rifle barrel for a straight walled pistol round will gain a good 300 fps over the revolvers velocity. All speculation until the load is clocked, but I figure you'll probably be 1500 +/-

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote