New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Cast bullet terminal performance
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
...well, Ric.... sounds like you learned a VERY valuable lesson..... just what were you thinking???

Posts: 323 | Location: N.Central Texas | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bfrshooter tell us about the deer you shot with the C&B revolver. It is something I always wondered about. I use to shoot deer cleaned ribcages at the dump when 20 something with a C&B and wonder how much the meat would slow the bullet. Was alway feared the RB just would not get the job done.

Posts: 112 | Location: Bonetown,South Dakota | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm ashamed. How presumptuous of me. I'm sorry. Flew off the handle again.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aloha David,

As promised, I was to report cast bullet performance on game taken this past week. It was most interesting and impressive. I took four hunters over to Niihau for a pig and sheep cull shoot. One was a cast bullet manufacturer, another was a custom cartridge manufacturer. All four used Encores, Contenders, and wheelguns with cast bullets. The cartridges used were 410 GNR, 356 GNR, and 44 Special. I was the only one using a 92 Win. in 44 Mag. with commercially loaded WFNGC bullets. It was a good performance test. In two and a half days, we took well over 100 pigs, and over 50 sheep. We did not count.

From my personal experience, the 44 mag. with 300 gr. WFNGC worked exceptionally well. Most of my shots were at running game so it was hit as can. Even with poor shot placement, the terminal performance was impressive. Most animals were put down with one shot. I witnessed one shooter dropping three sheep with one shot from a 356 GNR. Penetration and terminal performannce was exceptional. However, the smaller frontal area of the 356 produced less impressive knockdown than the 410 or 44 mag.

They tested a 410 by lining up three 100 lb. pig carcassess. The bullet was found under the far side skin of the third pig. There was only slight damage to the meplat.

In short, I'm now a believer, and understand that high velocity is not essential when using proper cast bullets. Thanks again for your input.

Geoff

Posts: 619 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a fun time. Thank you for the report.

David

Posts: 355 | Location: Baton Rouge, LA | Registered: 07 August 2003Reply With Quote