New
Find
Notify
Tools

Storing pure lead bullets
 Login/Join

<Hutt>
posted
I don't know so I will ask, how do you properly store pure lead bullets so as to minimize oxidation?

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
In an environment with as little air as possible. However, I think that the alloy affects the oxidization rate as well. I've seen bullets of the same age, stored the same way but of different make and different degrees of oxidization. In my experience, 30 years has not resulted in oxidization of lubricated and sized bullets.

Actually, rather than storing them you should be shooting them. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anything airtight works fine. I came into plastic bottle of odd sized RBs maybe 15 years. Lord knows how long they had been in that bottle before I got them. Anyway, they were bright and shiny when I dumped them into the melting pot yesterday.

I use ziplock freezer bags and then store those in an old coffee can with a snap-on lid. A mostly full back will split after a few years, but other than that, I have had no problems.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A few years ago a friend of mine gave me some ingots that were stored in a wooden nail keg. Straw was mixed with the ingots. I know whese were old but there was no corrosion. Anybody else heard of using straw to keep down corrosion?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Either when water quenching, or afterwards, put some dish soap in the water, drain, and let dry. The layer of soap will prevent oxidation.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Waksupi that sounds like a great tip! I've never really been concerned about oxidation but it would be nice to keep them shiny if not too much extra effort.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
I tumble lube my bullets with Lee liquid alox and then store them in quart size ziplock bags.

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oak, and presumably other woods, promote oxidation of lead bullets. Oak shavings with bullets in a ziplock bag produce instant antiques.
Cheers from Grayest Kalifornian Kansantasavalta,
Ross

Posts: 159 | Location: Oroville,California,U.S.A. | Registered: 14 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The problem of storing bullets cast of lead/tin alloy is more complex than just preventing oxidation!

With no antimony in the mix for stabilization lead/tin alloys are unstable at normal "room" temperatures: The bullets will actually deform quite a bit over time. Enough that you really wouldn't want to shoot them in a match.

The reasons for this are interesting enough. If anyone wants to know more, I'll do my best.

If I intended to shoot striaght lead/tin again I'd just plan on casting the bullets shortly before loading/shooting them. Minimum storage is the answer here. Either that or add some antimony!

Good evening,
Forrest

Posts: 246 | Location: Northern Wyoming | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you REALLY want to store cast bullets over a long period of time with no oxidation, guaranteed, store them in oil. A large coffee can and a quart of motor oil and they'll look like they did when they went in 100 years later.

Puncher

Posts: 234 | Location: 40 miles east of Dallas | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was stationed the Air Force Academy in the early 70's and was fortunate enough to have access to the indoor ranges, even to the point of lead recovery in the sand pits. Most of that was issue .38 ball ammo, fillings being very soft, probably close to pure lead. I still have some boolits (Ly 358311 and Lee 145 WCs) that I cast thirty years ago, stored in the original cardboard .38 ammo boxes stored in a GI ammo can. They look just fine, maybe a little dull, but no corrosion or oxidation problems. sundog

Posts: 287 | Location: Koweta Mission, OK | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
<Rezdog>
posted
As an aside, I once had a very nice wooden (softwood plywood) cabinet full of shallow drawers that I was using for my cartridge collection. I refinished it with polyurethane and that was the end of my peace of mind. All bullets with exposed lead immediately began to suffer from major corrosion. Even a coat of lacquer on the bullets wouldn't help. I then tested the wood, stain, and poly with lead samples in closed containers and it turned out that the poly was the culpret. Oak and walnut contain tannic acid and will ruin bullets in short order as well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rezload, I had the same problem with my newly constructed, newly varnished (Marine varnish) reloading bench, every single soft tip bullet went white overnight. It stopped after 2 or 3 months. It's the varnish.

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Sundog. I just dump the raw castings into a GI ammo can and close the lid. I suppose you could add one of those dessicant packages if you wanted but the rubber seal on the cans keeps the lead isolated. I haven't had any problem with oxidation using these cans.

Paul

Posts: 130 | Location: Davenport, IA | Registered: 20 March 2003Reply With Quote