New
Find
Notify
Tools

Argie Mauser
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Got one and was wondering if anybody here shoots one. I know Buckshot has a passel of em, anybody else? I am not good at it but fumbled around and drove a .314 Hornady slug into the throat. Looks like this one will need sized to .312. Has anyone else come up with this? Got the custom .312? Mould (Lee) 200 gr that was offered a while back and also came up with a Lyman 85 gr. round nose (don't remember the mould number) that casts at .312. Thought I'd try it to with a pinch of Unique.

woods

Posts: 48 | Location: st. charles | Registered: 07 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
woodsloafer-
I've fooled around with this caliber since the mid 70's. I size mine to .313" and use unique. You will like this caliber, it's very easy to work with and shoots very well. Enjoy!

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
I've had one since I was 15 (on and off, had to sell the first), but, I've not been using cast. A good topic, I'll be watching and hopefully learning.

The current rifle is a 1891 carbine and slugs out at .312 so I would use a .313 bullet. I have a mold for a 180 that I think could be turned to this use.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I too have a 7.65 x53mm (Model 1909, which shoots rather well considering its less than pristine bbl. Since I recently had accuracy problems with it, I took a .314" CB (Lyman #314299) and pushed it through the bbl., from breach to muzzle. I was surprised to find it to be .313", with no engraving on the nose. When I resized the -299's to that dimension, accuracy improved. Also, I've been sizing grossly oversized, i.e., .323" - .326" CB's down to .313" (in a Lee press-mounted .314" die first, followed by a .313" Lyman die) with no loss of accuracy at all. Of those, Buckshot's ("Whitworth" on this board) 236gr. 8mm Lee mold is the most accurate. IMHO, a .314" - .315" Loverin design would be ideal, but I don't think they exist any more. As for CB loading data, you can use the .308Win., e-mail Accurate Arms for XMP 5744 data (21 -22gr. with heavy CB's is very good) as a starter or experiment with milsurps. To wit, 43 - 44gr. WC 860 with .5cc powdered bran works extremely well with my Argie and heavy CB's: Accurate, clean-burning, low ES & SD, and ~1,670fps wi. #314299. Hope this helps, ...Maven

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote