New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smelting Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
When you smelt your ww down and have flux ,what do you use to remove the dross from the pot ?
And does it need to have slots in it? And if there are slots does it let all of the other junk go back in the pot? May sound lke some dumb guestion but being bad new to this casting business . I I may as well start off right. Thanks

Posts: 103 | Location: Piney woods of southeast TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Shooter973
posted Hide Post
I use a melon baller that I stole out of the kitchen. It has a hole in the enter but it cleans the crap off the melt very well.
Use one that has a wooden handle as the plastic ones melt! wave

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posts: 347 | Location: Ogden, Utah (Home of John M. Browning) | Registered: 08 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A slotted or perforated skimmer makes removing the ww clips and other large junk easier, but it's not absolutely necessary. You can use a large kitchen serving spoon. If you want holes in it, drill them. A non-perforated spoon will work best for removing the dross, but a perforated one will work. It's just slower. The good news is SS kitchen tools are cheap to buy so you can get two.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 544 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just use a wooden paint stick.

Posts: 207 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 11 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I use an old Tablespoon. Has worked fine for about two decades.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Shottist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
Me too!

If your hunting dog is fat, then you aren't getting enough exercise. Smiler

Posts: 598 | Location: currently N 34.41 W 111.54 | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends on the size melt we are talking about. Tablespoon will work fine if you do 5-10 pounds at a time. I do over 100 pounds at a time and a long handled holey spoon is an absolute necessity. On the big melts, you loose too much alloy unless it can drain as you scoop out the clips.

It is a good citizen's duty to love the country and hate the gubmint.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just used to use an old tablespoon. Would cast about 1,000 bullets per session using two Hensley & Gibbs six cavity moulds. Used to use a half inch length of candle to flux.

Just have to skim the surface to the side of the pot. Never had any problem with taking any lead out at all.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For smelting I use a HUGE t-spoon (3"bowl, 18" long - Army surplus I think).

For my bottom pour casting pot I use an iced-tea spoon - to get a little further away from the melt.

Tim K
(trk)
Cat whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a table spoon, silverplate, with a rounded front. I guess it's more like a soup spoon (I don't know my spoons all that well). Just enter the pot slowly cause the moisture on the spoon will cause a splash. I flux with Lee Flux or beeswax.

Alan

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.-Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 511 | Location: Goliad, Texas | Registered: 06 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Shottist:
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
Me too!

Me five!

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote