THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CAST BULLET FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Cast Bullets    Optimizing Ruger's for Lead Bullets - Part 2, Cylinder Throats

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Optimizing Ruger's for Lead Bullets - Part 2, Cylinder Throats
 Login/Join

Picture of Old_No7
posted
OK, here we go with the 2nd part of this project...

Credit for this step also goes to Iowegan for the expert knowledge he shares in his IBOK (Iowegan's Book of Knowledge, for the GP-SP series). I also want to acknowledge Fred Z from 4D Products in Wyoming (www.4-dproducts.com) for renting me the 38/357 Special Throating Reamer with 7 Pilots. The quality of that tool was superb, and the ability to select the exact sized pilot needed (hint: I used 4 of the 7) helped ensure an accurate job. The rental price was also great, versus buying a new tool and set of pilots for 1 job, so I'd encourage you to check the website if you decide to do this task.

Again, I will skip the step-by-step details, but just cover the highlights. The picture shows the 4D reamer with 1 pilot mounted, extra C clips, the other pilots and crude drawings showing the size pilots I needed for the cylinders. Note there were 3 pilots needed for the GP100, ranging from 20 thou's to 30 thou's undersized for the 0.358" bullets. The reamer cuts to exactly 0.358", as you'll see later. The l'il SP101 had 5 throats all the same -- which was a surprise compared to what I found on the GP -- but even those were 10 thou's undersized. As you'd expect, using the same smooth cutting action and liberal cutting oil, the effort on the SP was less than that to ream the GP.

Here are the throats before, with the 4D tools:

By the way, the T-handle on the reamer came from the forcing cone tool set, so make sure you have access to one as it's not included with the reamer & pilots rental. Fred at 4D liked this picture so much when I sent a copy of it to him with the reamer return, that he asked me for a jpg copy for his website, so you may see it there some time in the future. Fred was great to deal with and if I ever need to rent another reamer, 4D will get the nod from me.

Throats after:

As you can see above, after the reaming all 11 cylinder throats accepted the 0.358" SWC lead bullets I am using, requiring the same slight effort to push them through. I was really pleased with the consistency of the sizing and the smoothness of the cuts. But here again, you must be diligent to clear all chips from the reamer before you ream another and NEVER back up a reamer as it could chip the cutter (which you'd be responsible for) or damage the work (which you'd regret for a long time). Once you start the reamer, you slowly twist it clockwise and smoothly all the way through, using liberal cutting oil.

OK, it's time for the rubber to meet the road!

Before, using the same load and rest, my GP100 was giving me 2" to 3" groups at 50 feet. Check out the "after" target below, and I take full credit for the lone flyer which ruined an otherwise exceptional group.

GP target after:

The SP101 was shooting 3" to 4" groups before, due mostly I think to the shorter sight radius and barrel, a heavier trigger pull and combat sights. Still there's a sizeable improvement, with yet another flyer provided by me. (That's the NEXT problem I need to work on -- the loose nut behind the trigger!)

SP target after:

There are no photo's to back it up, but the leading in the cylinder throats is all but eliminated and the forcing cones look great after 100 rounds each as well. Overall, I'd have to say this project was a huge success! And now that I've corrected the leading issues, the clean-up won't be such a chore, so I hope to shoot these a lot more and improve my skills and technique. Gotta fix those flyers next...

Tight groups to all!

Old No7

"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." � 2000 DTH

Posts: 23 | Location: Midcoast Maine | Registered: 24 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Thank You, thank you, thank you. This is the best done, brief, really useful thing I've seen here yet. And GREAT pictures!!

If you are not already a commercial gun writer, I suggest you send copies of this whole thing (Parts 1 & 2, and pics) to Dave Scovill of Wolfe Publishing, and Dave Brennan of Precision Shooting. You deserve to be paid for this quality of instruction.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What size is your barrels.
I hae a DW with .360 chamber mouths and .354 barrel. Keep thinking I will get a new barrel but never get around to it. Ok with jacketed but leaded up pain with lead.

Life but a knife edge anyway.Sooner or later the man slips and gets cut.
YOU AIN'T SLIPPED SIR?
How would you know son.
(Streets Of Laredo)

Posts: 112 | Location: Bonetown,South Dakota | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote