Find
Notify
Tools

sizing pointed bullets in Lee sizers?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi gang,
I have been trying to figure out a way to successfully size pointy 30 cal boolits without messing up the gas check of the one ahead of it in the sizer sleeve and also to retain the pointed profile. about the only thing I came up with was to size a few flat-points in behind them until the pointy one comes out the top. Just hate to spend all that loot on sizers for my leaky Lyman 450 or maybe that's just the only way to go?
being cheap I know!
Newtire

Posts: 128 | Location: Star, Idaho | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Newtire:

Best bet is to fix the "leaky" #450. There have been several good tips here on how to do that. For starters: (1) Clamp the tool down HARD against a sheet of gasket material onto the bench, or onto a separate sheet of steel or aluminum you can attach to/remove from the bench. (2) don't overpressure the lube reservoir by ratcheting for every bullet; you can cycle the bullet in and out and watch the grooves to find just how much pressure is enough. (3) hold the handle down HARD while lubing, and move the bullet back out fairly smartly; this helps keep lube from getting under the bullet, if that is your problem. (4) if that doesn't stop leakage under the bullet, make a slight depth adjustment up or down to get the lube port away from the bullet base. (5) check your follower/ejector plunger (the "I" part of the "H" and "I" sizing die set); the top end should be VERY LIGHTLY coned to put all the pressure on the edge of the base. Sometimes Lyman misses this, or the plunger may be in upside-down. If none of these work, post back here for more esoteric advice. Good Luck!

floodgate