THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CAST BULLET FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Cast Bullets    Cases, loads and molds for the .360 No.5 Heel Bullet

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cases, loads and molds for the .360 No.5 Heel Bullet
 Login/Join

posted
I have reciently got my hands on a lovely Martini Action Rook Rifle in .360 Cal. I need to obtain the proper molds for the bullets as well as the dimensions of the cases and the proper load. I have been told that the 38 Long Colt case is very close. I intend to only use black powder and would hope someone would have soom experience with these types of rifles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My gunsmith friend has a BSA rifle in .360 Rook #5. He took .38 Special cases, trimmed them to length and then inside neck reamed them to get the neck diameter down to where it needed to be. And since he doesn't cast, he asked me to come up with a bullet that matched the original diameter. I found a Lee 9X18 Mak mould that casts a 100-grain RN. I run it through a .365" sizer when lubing. It isn't the same weight as the original design, somewhere around 150-grains if memory serves, but it works really well for Robert, and the 100-grain RN is quite accurate, from what he tells me.
Hope this helps...

Scot

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doubless:
My gunsmith friend has a BSA rifle in .360 Rook #5. He took .38 Special cases, trimmed them to length and then inside neck reamed them to get the neck diameter down to where it needed to be. And since he doesn't cast, he asked me to come up with a bullet that matched the original diameter. I found a Lee 9X18 Mak mould that casts a 100-grain RN. I run it through a .365" sizer when lubing. It isn't the same weight as the original design, somewhere around 150-grains if memory serves, but it works really well for Robert, and the 100-grain RN is quite accurate, from what he tells me.
Hope this helps...

Scot

Thanks for the reply, I think the 38 Long Colt case is with .005 in length of the orginial .360 load, and have been advised that it also works. I'll try both cases and let you know.
Bullets need to be lubed to shoot at all and sizing should be to the .360-.365 range to fit the shallow rifling. I'll let you know what I find. - Alan