Find
Notify
Tools

Tin will not melt....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Tin will not melt....

Hey Guy’s I melted pure lead and made my own lead bullets for the first time.

I also have obtained tin from the sheet metal duct workers shop and they said it is pure sheet tin. I cut it up in strips with tin snips, it was painful because it’s thick but it would not melt in with the lead, is there a certain way to do this successfully?
I used a LEE production bottom pure pot, but does this not produce enough heat to melt tin with lead?

Thanks in Advance
Vinnyg

Posts: 213 | Location: ┌\oo/┐ Tick infested woods of N.Y. | Registered: 26 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
1. Don't use your pot to melt in.

2. it's not tin.

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Melting point - Tin - 449 F
Lead- 621 F

One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
Most likely Zink

Bad stuff
It will mess up lead

Find a plumber and talk him out of some lead free solder
That is normaly 95 % tin and 5% antimony

John

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
zinc melts at bout 780*
tin will usually melt easily with just a cigarette lighter in a few seconds.

Posts: 4987 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Sheet metal, commonly galvanized sheet steel it commonly called "Tin".

It is not, Tin is a distinct metal unto itself.

NEITHER THE TWAIN SHALL MEET!

If you did not pay 5 bucks or more a pound for it, it is not tin.

Had the guys in the sheet metal (note sheet metal,not "Tin") given you some of the soldier that they used for joining the metal it would be a lead tin or tin and other metal and would work in BOOLITS!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4238 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hope you didn't try melting "tin" cans either. Tin is a common name for thin sheet steel. No wonder it wouldn't melt. Big Grin Usually, it's galvanized with zinc, so I would hope you didn't breathe the fumes either.
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams:
Hope you didn't try melting "tin" cans either.Grizz

No- but my wife asked me where the tin shed is. Big Grin
LOL that’s a good one, funny Grizz my kind of humor.

Thanks guys,

Actually they have their sheet metal which I know is galvanized steel and now I believe the sheet of stuff they gave me also has Zink in it but there were no melting and or fumes, but they swore that this was tin in sheet form. I didn’t pay for it because it’s one of my customers. I’ll give it back and question them again but nothing is lost on my side.

And thanks Mete for the melting points.

Now “Hunt-Ducts” I have a friend that is going to give me solder tin-lead mix like 60/40 and I’m planning on melting it in with the pure lead in my LEE unit, but you say not to use the LEE pot to what? Combine metals?

bewildered
Vg

Posts: 213 | Location: ┌\oo/┐ Tick infested woods of N.Y. | Registered: 26 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
Does it stick to a magnet? Tin will not

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The "cheat" here is in the drug store, sometimes. As indicated, many, many times the "tin" as in "tin cans" was a reflection of a tin coating on steel to prevent rust. Many "non edible" products were packed in lead foil tubes. Grease, etc. HOWEVER, Uncle Sam to the rescue... Lead is toxic, so the FDA required products for use on the body to be packed in "tin/ tin foil tubes." Since they have come out with all the paper/foil packages, so you have to hunt... but if you can find a toothpaste tube or other that is yellow, dark yellow metal...probably tin.

If what you have is not like that, you might want to ask your customer "what's up." And, YES, today tin is expensive. Fortunately it doesn't take much. Luck.