Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

sizer
 Login/Join

posted
looking to buy a new sizer. i've narrowed it down between rcbs and magma (star). i hear that star is the best. is it worth the extra money. or should i just go with the rcbs. not going crazy sizing bullets but will do several thousand a year. also consider i'am still young and have many, many years to size.

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I used a Lyman, make that two Lyman sizers, for a lot of years for pistol and rifle bullets. When I started RCBS didn't have a sizer, there's little if any difference between to two.
When I got into pistol competition I needed lots of bullets so I got a Star to handle all of my pistol calibers.
I still have all of my sizers and use them. I'll cast up a boat load of pistol bullets every year or so depending on the caliber and size in the Star.
The Lymans are used for rifle and pistol bullets that require gaschecks.
The Star is not as easy to use with gas checks as the Lyman/RCBS. This maybe a consideration for you.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too have used Lymans and RCBS and as Arkypete said they are identical in operation---that is the old style RCBS. The old style used a ratchet to feed lube. The newer RCBS uses a toggle handle--I much prefer the ratchet--in fact I modified my newer style to accept the ratchet. This modification is not just a change parts deal---requires machine work. It could possibly be done with hacksaw and file, but the proper machine tools do a better job. You do gain the great RCBS warranty. Gas checks, I decided a few years ago that they are about a waste of time and certainly money nowdays since they apparently started making them out of 24K gold. I shoot several bullets that were designed for gas check without a gas check and found no loss of accuracy nor leading by not using them.

Posts: 3807 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was a very happy man with my SAECO. Until I got a STAR. It will do much larger diameter bullets, and is effortless.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote