Find
Notify
Tools

9X41 or 358 mini Mag.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
Roll EyesRecently I posted that I had achieved a little over 2000fps. with a 297gr. gas checked bullet in my 35 caliber widcat with the almost same powder capacity as the 30-30. That's 06 energy level .There relly wasn't much of a response. OK! I would like to know who of you uses this weight bullet or something close,for hunting driven at this speed. Next I'd like to know from you experts what game getting results you got. It boggles my mind that the degree or percent of enrgy transfere is so great.What magic arena are you guys playing in? bewilderedroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not an expert, but I've been using a 300 grain cast bullet in the 9.3x57 (.365 bore) for deer hunting at about 1950 fps. Bullet has a wide meplat and is cast around 13 bhn. Typical performance was an inch to inch and half hole through the deer. If a shoulder(s) or the spine is hit the deer goes down to stay on the spot. Lung hits they run 10 to 50 yards and go down. Shots have been 30 feet to about 75 yards (I hunt the woods). This is a mild load, but I don't feel the need for more fps.

Currently playing with a 375 Winchester with a 300 grain flat nose, plain base bullet in a Marlin. Not sure why, as I can't ask for anything better than the 9.3, guess I just want to try something different this fall. I don't foresee any problems even at 1200 to 1300 fps taking a deer with this combination.

Posts: 81 | Location: West Central WI | Registered: 02 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gutshot_again:

Currently playing with a 375 Winchester with a 300 grain flat nose, plain base bullet in a Marlin. Not sure why, as I can't ask for anything better than the 9.3, guess I just want to try something different this fall. I don't foresee any problems even at 1200 to 1300 fps taking a deer with this combination.

Are these 300 grain flat nose bullets gas checked? Are you casting them? I'd like to get my hands on some and check them out in my .375X 41.

It blows my mind how little powder it takes to drive these cast bullets to large cartridge energy levels. Some very simple math would indicate that this bullet from the .375x41mm case can have a muzzle energy level approaching ( conservatively) 3000ft.lbs. What is going on here? We are not talking fillers or pumping a lot of unburned out of the barrel.

Thanks for the reply bewildered thumbroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, they are plain based and I am casting them. They come from a Saeco mould - believe it's # 571. If you'ld like some email me at gutshot_again @ yahoo.com

I'm a bit of a fan of the larger caliber, heavy bullets myself for hunting. They don't need a lot of speed, which keeps powder consumption and recoil down. They just plain work.

Posts: 81 | Location: West Central WI | Registered: 02 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
bartsche can you post a pic of your wildcat?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would like to see a picture also.
this is a nice sight here. I don't want
to run you off. But there is a cast bullet group at
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=970
I cannot get there from this comp. and have little time from home.

Life but a knife edge anyway.Sooner or later the man slips and gets cut.
YOU AIN'T SLIPPED SIR?
How would you know son.
(Streets Of Laredo)

Posts: 112 | Location: Bonetown,South Dakota | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
bartsche can you post a pic of your wildcat?

I'm having trouble getting stuff from my old computer to my new Dell (pictures)? It is a .358 cal. with a .358 neck length , a 26.5degree shoulder and a brass length of 1,625"blown out to a minimum tapper using a .308 or 06 parent case. If I were not such a dino I would be able to give you what you ask boohooroger

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gregg:
I would like to see a picture also.
this is a nice sight here. I don't want
to run you off. But there is a cast bullet group at
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=970
I cannot get there from this comp. and have little time from home.

Thanks for the plug gregg,nice to see the site advertised. thumb

bartsche if you can email me the pics I can get them posted for you.

A Vote is like a Rifle: It's usefulness depends on the character of the user

BOOLITS BOOLITS BOOLITS

Posts: 538 | Location: elsewhere | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bartsche, I see the light has dawned. Big Grin My 300 grain load is paper patched in a .44 Mag rifle, think I've told you that before though. 17 grains of Li'l Gun, 1535 fps. 17.3 goes over 1600 fps but accuracy begins to drop from the MOA that I prefer.

Picking up a Rigby tomorrow, and plan to tinker with some lead for it. 400 grains, maybe a bit more, expecting 2000 fps +/-. Ought to whack a deer okay. Don't know what load I'll use but it likely won't take a lot of whatever. Buddy of mine shoots the 45-70 with 510 gr PP loads, uses somewhere around 31 gr of RX7 IIRC, gets MOA and 1600 fps + for his trouble. Not exactly a pussy cat with recoil but my wife could shoot it without complaint. Sure he could have 1800 fps or better if he tried, but then I can't think of any reason for him to do that. The load ain't broke.

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm shooting a .358 Winchester, at an average velocity of 2077 fps. The bullet is 277 gr. from my mold, one of the Bator Heavy custom run. I've managed one inch groups, when my eyes will co-operate, and this is with aperture sights.
Killing effectiveness? Over the past two years, I've killed four deer, an elk, and a buffalo with the combination. No complaints from any of them. There are a couple other guys on the castboolits board who regularly ventilate moose with thier .35 whelens, in the same velocity range.
Good bore size, with a heavy bullet. They have power, with a capital P! And a recoil you can live with.

Shooters Cast Bullet Alumnus

Ric Carter

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's a link to kill details on the elk, along with autopsy pictures.

http://www.aimoo.com/forum/postview.cfm?id=514616&Categ...t=1&ThreadID=1746258

And the rifle used

http://www.aimoo.com/forum/postview.cfm?id=514616&Categ...y&keyword1=solutions

Shooters Cast Bullet Alumnus

Ric Carter

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote