New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 Caliber suggestions...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking for suggestions for a cast bullet, preferably gascheck, to shoot in my T/C Contender in .223 Remington caliber. Presently, this particular barrel will shoot the Hornady 50 grain Single Shot Pistol Bullets into much less than M.O.A. out to 150 yards. SO, now it is time to try some cast in this barrel. I am shooting cast from my other Contender barrels with fair results (30-30, 44 Magnum/445 Super Magnum) and VERY good results with my 7-30 Waters barrel. Any thoughts on a potentially good bullet for this 22 caliber Contender barrel? Thanks…BCB

Posts: 212 | Location: WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BCB...I've used the 22-55-SP RCBS in a bunch of 223 cast Contender rounds. Good for plinking but I'm not sure about M.O.A. as .22s are hard to cast and shoot.

Hell, I can't hardly see 150 yards but that's a good bullet at any rate.

The 225646 Lyman is also a good candidate but may be a bit long for the twist. It shoots pretty good in my Number 1 Ruger at any rate.

I'd be glad to let you have some to try before jumping in if you want./beagle

Posts: 234 | Location: Lexington, Ky,USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
Beagle, BCB, 225646 shoots fine at 2200 with 14 twist. The 223 commercial standard is a 12 twist, I think, and that should be plenty for this boolit at LR speeds. Here is where BlueDot will shine, especially when using mild primers. Use 4756 for even lower velocity with the same accuracy. Try circa 9 and 6 grains respectively with 40-65 grainers. ... felix

Posts: 477 | Location: fort smith ar | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
beagle,

You have a PM. Thanks...BCB

Posts: 212 | Location: WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
felix,

Lyman listed the 225646 at 55 grains (I assume that is without the check in place). Do you think it will be too heavy for the slow speed and slow twist (1:14) in the Contender? Also Lyman shows a 225415 that is to weigh-in at 55 grains also. It sure looks different--Much shorter. Thoughts on this bullet? Thanks...BCB

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the 55 grain gas checked RCBS--does great in my .222's and 22-250--but havent found a combo that works in my .223. The .223 does great with jacketed.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
carpetman,

Does that bullet weigh 55 grains with the check in place or is that the weight as cast? What does it weigh with the check in place? Thanks...BCB

one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
BCB, keep in mind the weight is in your favor. It is the length that's important. Short fat fannies don't need to twist like the long tall sallies do. Contrary to Dr. Phil, a boolit being fat is ALWAYS better. 225646 = 0.665; RCBS = 0.652, so the latter is better with 14 twist. ... felix

Posts: 477 | Location: fort smith ar | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote