Find
Notify
Tools

When is...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Louis -
This may be 'recent' but it has been in common use for perhaps a decade, and it is wide-spread. That is how our language changes - it becomes specialized - sometimes in geographical areas, sometimes in technical circles. (For example, I've had to learn to say "Y'all" since moving from Iowa to Virginia, and since I've been here only some 20 years, I'm still considered an outsider.

Using the term "boolet" is a now a spcialized term. One need only look at the term "bench-rest" - it is not JUST shooting from the bench. What is more significant is that (in general) the folks who use the term "boolet" tend to laugh at themselves and take life much less seriously than folks that are addicted to "bench-rest" shooting. (Perhaps with a few exceptions of great noteriety on the CBA board.)

Of course if you look up (in your Funk and Wagnals) the term, you will find one spelling, "bullet" not "boolet". Give it a year or three and they will undoubedly catch up!

Evidence of this broadening trend is to note that one of the spell-checks on a noteable 'cast boolets' forum accepts both spellings.

What we need to be wary of is, of course, the postion taken that "I am right and they are wrong" - when there can in fact be more than one perfectly legitimate perspectives. I'm sure you would agree with me, if you were only reasonable.

Tim K
(trk)
Cat whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by starmetal:
Jim,

You still swaging 38 wadcutters? When you knurled the one that you did, what kind of lube did you use on them? When I was shooting the factory wadcutters my favorite load was 2.7 grs of Bullseye. I had three S&W's that loved that load. I preferred the Hornady dry lube wadcutter because they weren't as messy as the greasy lube Speer used on theirs. They both were equally accurate though. Corbin says you can swage lead lead bullets and groove or knurl them faster then using casting methods. What's your say on that?

Joe

Joe
AS I remember both the Hornady and Speer 38 wadcutters are hollow based and the wadcutters I made were flat based. The reason for having flat based was my bullets were made to fit cylinder mouths .3585.
I used some of Corbin's liquid lube, it drys to semi clear waxy finish. Then I switched to Lee's liquid alox. The Lee product worked fine but gummed up my dies. This is why I dropped the knurled wad cutters and went with the basegard.
A side bar:
Some of the PPC shooters buy Zero bullets and wash off the lube in gas, dry them and relube with diluted Lee Alox.
I was shooting the wadcutters in a Colt Python, 357 mag, The bullet was seated out of the case, rather then flush with the case mouth. I used, I think, 3.5 grains of 231 or Bullseye. I don't think I'd like to know what this load would do in a 38.
I found knurling to be a tedious chore, this after wearing out one of Corbin's knurling tools. The knurling allows a good coating of lube all over the bullet and helps to keep it there. Using wheel weights as alloy the knurling tool put bunches of little dimples all over the bullet. Using soft lead I got a nice cross hatching on the bullet.
Another lube that I never got around to using is Rooster laboratories liquid lube.
The learning curve for swaging is pretty long. Get Corbin's books on the subjectand read them.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

I done most my wadcutter shooting with my Model 19 Smith. First I started out using 38 spcl brass and later switched to 357 brass.

Corbin has a grooving tool for making lube grooves. I wonder how much it distorts the bullet. That lead has to go somewhere, don't know how deep the grooves are, or if you have adjustment on that.

Joe

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Joe
The knurling tool and the grooving tool are the same machine just different wheel.
You have plenty of adjustment in the machine, since the same tool will canelure 22 jacketed up to 50+ caliber jacketed/cast. In operation there are two rollers on the bottom and your grooving/knurling wheel on top.
The tool bears more then a passing resemblence to a grey office stapler with a crank handle on one side. There is another screw coming out the other side that acts as a stop for the bullet base, to adjust and maintain uniformity of the groove.
I'd like to find a more convenient method of doing both.
Personally casting bullets is the faster method achieving a quanity of bullets.
If you are looking for extreme precision bullets swaging is the way to go.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Yes, I believe you can produce more bullets faster then swaging. Personally I don't think it's that much of a chore to cast. With gang moulds you can amass quite a quantity of bullets fast.

There are a few different knurling tools for use on lathes. I don't know if you are familiar with those. One is basically just two wheels real close together with the knurling pattern on them and it's just run into the work piece with the crossfeed on the lathe. The other type is kind of a scissors type and not as much pressure is exerted on the tool holder and crossfeed as with the other type. I've seen Corbins knurler on his site and in a way it's similar the scissor type, but not the same. I'm not by any means suggesting knurling bullets on a lathe.

Joe

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jim,

Yes, I believe you can produce more bullets faster then swaging. Personally I don't think it's that much of a chore to cast. With gang moulds you can amass quite a quantity of bullets fast.

There are a few different knurling tools for use on lathes. I don't know if you are familiar with those. One is basically just two wheels real close together with the knurling pattern on them and it's just run into the work piece with the crossfeed on the lathe. The other type is kind of a scissors type and not as much pressure is exerted on the tool holder and crossfeed as with the other type. I've seen Corbins knurler on his site and in a way it's similar the scissor type, but not the same. I'm not by any means suggesting knurling bullets on a lathe.
Joe

Joe
Something of a similar nature may not be to far off the mark. As I see it, not being an engineer, nor a machinest, have the rollers and knurling wheel horizonal so that you can drop the bullet in base first. The roller and knurling wheel being vertically adjustable.
Have the knurling wheel powered by a motor.
I've not worked out the mechanism to move the knurling wheel in and out but for now we'll say a lever.
Most likely I just just invented a world class Rube Goldberg contraption.
I've read where some fellas are using auto feed screw lathes to make bullets out of brass or copper wire/rods. You might be able to do the job with a lathe.
Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

I've too heard of making copper bullets on the lathe, but gee whiz, that would have to be slow. Even with a CNC lathe you would have to be chucking in the stock each time. Of course it would be a means by which you could have the exact bullet you wanted.

Doesn't Corbin have a power knurler/groover? More on the production side products rather then hobbyist/home?

Joe

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Doesn't Corbin have a power knurler/groover? More on the production side products rather then hobbyist/home?

Joe
I'm sure he does.
But Corbin ain't cheap.
Have a look at Corbin's brothers site. They were in business together for years and parted ways several years ago.
http://www.rceco.com/ for other swaging tools.
Another site of interest http://www.bulletsmiths.info/board/

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jim, I'll check that site out.

Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
starmetal's posts make a lot more sense if you know that he was thrown off of the cast boolit forum for being an argumentative, sort-of a horse's ass individual. After repeated warnings...

The people who own and operate the cast boolits website refer to jacketed bullets as bullets, cast are boolits there. It doesn't cost you anything to allow other people to agree on and define THEIR hobby tools.

In a nutshell, this is the basic problem with society today...refusing to let other people be...without any sarcastic or profane or generally derogatory comments. If you don't like the boolits reference, just stay off their website and preserve your delicate sensibilities. Or, just get over it!

Get a life starmetal! Even if you have to go on Ebay and buy one.
Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
boolit is a crock of shit started by anal bullet casters that won't even call a jacketed bullet a jacketed bullet, usually calling it a "condom". Most won't admit they shoot jacketed bullets in fear of getting humiliated from other members in the forum they belong too. They also won't admit to the superiority of jacketed bullets to cast bullets. Guess the military won't either huh?

Joe

"Boolit"

Definition:

1. Projectile cast and fired by a "Cast Booliteer".

2. Term shown out of respect and paying homage to the great silver steam, and not to be taken personally or to seriously, but with fun and the pursuit of happiness, accuracy, and DRT hunting performance.

dancing ...........Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
starmetal's posts make a lot more sense if you know that he was thrown off of the cast boolit forum for being an argumentative, sort-of a horse's ass individual. After repeated warnings...

The people who own and operate the cast boolits website refer to jacketed bullets as bullets, cast are boolits there. It doesn't cost you anything to allow other people to agree on and define THEIR hobby tools.

In a nutshell, this is the basic problem with society today...refusing to let other people be...without any sarcastic or profane or generally derogatory comments. If you don't like the boolits reference, just stay off their website and preserve your delicate sensibilities. Or, just get over it!

Get a life starmetal! Even if you have to go on Ebay and buy one.
Rich
DRSS

Rich -

You confuse me. Starmetal's comment is a sharp strongly worded statement, but your's appears to be a personal attack - and yet in the same breath you say "the basic problem with society today...refusing to let other people be...without any sarcastic or profane or generally derogatory comments" followed with "Get a life starmetal!".

It appears to me you've defined your statements as part of the problem of society. In good conscience, then, will you ban yourself?

Contrast that with Marlinlover's comments (with emotion symbols) directly address the same issues by very politely providing a light-hearted contrast.

Tim K
(trk)
Cat whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote