New
Find
Notify
Tools

When is...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A bullet a "boolit?" Was there a change in the English language for which I didn't get the memo? Maybe the word "boolit" started out as a joke somewhere by one pundit or another, and ended up in the common vernacular of the "grammatically incorrect set?"

'Splain this to me, Lucy!

Posts: 329 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ohhhhh, you've done it now... jumping

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A bullet is clad in copper. A boolit is nekkid lead, with maybe a little cup on one end. Bolits are cast, bullets are swaged.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bullet
Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - Cite This Source

A bullet is a solid projectile propelled by a firearm and is normally made from metal (usually lead). A bullet (in contrast to a shell) does not contain explosives, and damages its target by imparting its kinetic energy upon impact.

The word "bullet" is often used incorrectly to refer to the combination of bullet, case, gunpowder and primer; such an item is properly called a cartridge, or round.

boolit is a crock of shit started by anal bullet casters that won't even call a jacketed bullet a jacketed bullet, usually calling it a "condom". Most won't admit they shoot jacketed bullets in fear of getting humiliated from other members in the forum they belong too. They also won't admit to the superiority of jacketed bullets to cast bullets. Guess the military won't either huh?

I shoot and like them both.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The above was written obviously by an UNBELIEVER, perhaps a heritic!

REAL MEN shoot cast BOOLETS.

If you were only reasonable you would agree with me. :-)))

Tim K
(trk)
Cat whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well geez, I reckon I'm not reasonable. Avoiding the real name of things is childish. It's also brainwashing. I don't play the games. I like technical and I like things called by the correct names. We didn't advance today to jacketed bullets because they aren't any good. If it makes you feel any better I shoot more cast then jacketed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with you 100% starmetal. When discussing technical matters stick with the proper terminology, lest someone think you are a dimbulb when you use "cutesie" terms and disregard the otherwise solid info you have to share.

I'm probably stirring the pot, but I've watched the use of the term "boolit" on various web sites for enough time now that I felt I had to question it's use.

Posts: 329 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by starmetal:
Well geez, I reckon I'm not reasonable. Avoiding the real name of things is childish. It's also brainwashing. I don't play the games. I like technical and I like things called by the correct names. We didn't advance today to jacketed bullets because they aren't any good. If it makes you feel any better I shoot more cast then jacketed.

I hope you didn't take my post SEROUSLY!

Tim K
(trk)
Cat whisperer

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tim,

Yes, why yes I did take you seriously. After all the cast bullet fellows on such and such forum (and you know which one) take that word "boolit" seriously, and take not shooting jacketed seriously...so why shouldn't have I, because you put that face in there? The original poster asked a serious question.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My apologies - I though it ridiculous enough to be obvious.

As Oscar Wild is quoted: "life is far to precious to be taken seriously".

Tim K
(trk)
Cat whisperer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that I can totally agree with. Hey how far are you from...hmmmm...say Bristol, VA?

Joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm 4 miles from exit 98 on 81. (NOT Far).

Tim K
(trk)
Cat whisperer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
well you're not far from me then. I'm about 45 mins on the other side of the race track.

Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
what are copper washed?
boo-boolito's

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There may be an opportunity someday to swap lies over coffee or beer. Perhaps launch a few "bullets".

Tim K
(trk)
Cat whisperer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me know when y'all get together to do that. I'm not that far away- a chance to drink a beer, swap some lies, trade some junk (I mean quality merchandise),do a little shooting with some kindred souls would be a Godsend. Nobody around here does much bullet casting.

I've been casting for almost 40 years now and have learned by trial-and-error (and then forgotten!) enough stuff to fill a book. I miss the cameraderie of good old fashioned "rifle frolics!"

I'll try to focus on this forum a little more in the future!

Gary

one of us
posted Hide Post
I remember when a fellow soldier sponsered what he called the "Cold Beer Open" golf tournament.

Certainly an option with shooting, providing the beer FOLLOWS the shooting.

Tim K
(trk)
Cat whisperer

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Hey guys
There's one web site where the members believe that 'smokeless' powder is a passing fad.
Why can't fellas play around with 'boolets'?
Ninty percent of my shooting is with cast bullets/boolets, the jacketed/condum bullet/boolets are expensive.
I mostly use the jacketed/condum bullet/boolets in my semi auto rifles for the obvious reason.
It's all in fun and if it irritates people using the term 'boolets' so much the better.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim

I reckon you'll be shit of of luck and the shooting business then when they ban lead all together. It's coming.

Joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
arkypete: Yeah,I'd worry a lot about "starmetal's"(aka Joe,MaxPayne,et al, ad naus.)take on lead bans..Should work about as well as the Volstead Act,and FDR's exec.order 6102 and the Gold Reserve Act..!! Idabull

Posts: 142 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IdaBull,

I could care less what you worry about. You know darn well more and more tires shops are refusing to give, sell, whatever, wheelweights to "regular poeple". Yeah, we can still buy it at the salvage yards, but that day will be coming to an end also. I didn't say this was going to happen in a week, like your liberal friends say about the end of the earth from global warming.

For your smartass information I've been a member of Accurate for quite some time under the starmetal, but after I done my sentence at "castboolits,sic, sic sic) I returned to Accurate and couldn't retreive my password. With the kind help of Don, that problem was resolved. So thus the Max Payne then Starmetal.

Go cause trouble on "castboolits" and see how long you last there.

Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You say Don was able to help you recover your original handle? Great! How do I get hold of Don?

Kelly

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kelly,

He is DRG...one of the administrators of Accurate. Just look for his name (again DRG) in the who's on list and instant msg him explaining what happen.

Joe

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jim

I reckon you'll be shit of of luck and the shooting business then when they ban lead all together. It's coming.

Joe

With nearly two and half tons of lead, it will take me a while to run out.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Starmetal
What state are you in?
Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

You're not thinking. When it does get really bad, it won't be only that you can't buy it, you'll have to get rid of what you got. Ask Buckshot how much it cost his to get rid of a couple steel drums of oil because a neighbor called it into the town commission as chemical hazard, which it is, and he had to pay to get rid of it. It couldn't be taken to an oil recycling unit because it has water, anti-freeze , and other crap in it. They want pure used motor oil. So imagine when lead becomes like that and neighbor turns you in for having a large amount. Maybe that time will be in our life time, maybe it won't. Even the military has been made to clean up target ranges of lead and forced to find an alternative material for their bullets. The anti-gunners are trying to accelerate this too, they know it's the most suitable metal for bullets. Getting very hard to find lead sinkers and split shot for fishing too.

I wish I would have invested into jacketed bullet swaging equipment a long time ago instead of all the casting equipment I have. You can even swage lead bullets too with the corbin equipment and before you ask about lubing and there would be no lube groove, corbin has a machine to groove the bullets for lubricate. But I'm too old to go that route now.

Don't get me wrong, I'd hate to see lead taken totally away from us.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

I'm in TN, but I'm like an eight hr drive from Richmond, Va.

Joe

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jim,

You're not thinking. When it does get really bad, it won't be only that you can't buy it, you'll have to get rid of what you got. Ask Buckshot how much it cost his to get rid of a couple steel drums of oil because a neighbor called it into the town commission as chemical hazard, which it is, and he had to pay to get rid of it. It couldn't be taken to an oil recycling unit because it has water, anti-freeze , and other crap in it. They want pure used motor oil. So imagine when lead becomes like that and neighbor turns you in for having a large amount. Maybe that time will be in our life time, maybe it won't. Even the military has been made to clean up target ranges of lead and forced to find an alternative material for their bullets. The anti-gunners are trying to accelerate this too, they know it's the most suitable metal for bullets. Getting very hard to find lead sinkers and split shot for fishing too.

I wish I would have invested into jacketed bullet swaging equipment a long time ago instead of all the casting equipment I have. You can even swage lead bullets too with the corbin equipment and before you ask about lubing and there would be no lube groove, corbin has a machine to groove the bullets for lubricate. But I'm too old to go that route now.

Don't get me wrong, I'd hate to see lead taken totally away from us.

Star
I've got the Corbin setup for swaging bullets. The knurling of lead bullets is a major pain the rear. So I switched to Corbins Basegard bullet which has a copper washer rivited on the base.
All of my cast bullets that fail to make the grade as cast bullets become swaged bullets. The new Corbin presses and dies can swage wheel weights into usable bullets.
Virginia Tech did a study on a Virginia Dept of Fish and Game shooting range some where in the neighborhood of Blacksburg, for lead pollution.
They found that the lead did not migrate, get into the ground water. It's the opinion in the study that lead in the ground is no threat and not an issue.
Here locally, when the Izaac Walton park closed it was estimated that there was 10s of thousands of tons of lead shot scattered in the downrange of the trap and skeet ranges. There's now hundreds of homes built there.
The antigunners made a run at my shooting range, one at which I'm a member, to no avail.
They tested the ground water, the lake, the stream for two miles down stream nada.
Lead is not an issue, least wise not in Virginia.
My neighbors can't see my lead,my casting, unless they are trespassing. One of the advantages of living on over two acres, that's mostly trees, bamboo, azaleas, dogwoods.
My buddies and I still go and pickup 5 gal, pails of wheel weights when ever we want them.
I have some buddies who do demo work that bring me all of the sheet lead they find.
If it gets bad I'll just bury the lead until I need it.
Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Interesting about the Corgin and those base guards, I was just reading a bunch of stuff on his website last night. I know alot of guys that use cast bullets for cores, that's a good idea.

Jim I didn't mention lead having to be cleaned up from target sights because I believe it does or does not get into the ground water. The anti's will convince people of that whether it's true or not. I think one of the first attacks to get lead away from us by the anti-gunners/hunters was the issue of ducks skimming up shotgun pellets on bottom of ponds and dying from lead poisoning. I think they said something like the University of PA did a test on it or survey. Years later Univ of Pa said they never did that or said that. Something like that. Anyways lead BB's have been banned for quite some time from use in federal game bird hunting. So they won that little part of the battle. One of the first attacks was lead base paint. I think that came first to show what lead can do to children. I'd sure like to see the statistics to that survey too. I know lead is harmful, any heavy metal is to the body, but I think they stretch the truth.

What calibers do you swage for? Any jacketed swaging?

Joe

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jim,

Interesting about the Corgin and those base guards, I was just reading a bunch of stuff on his website last night. I know alot of guys that use cast bullets for cores, that's a good idea.

Jim I didn't mention lead having to be cleaned up from target sights because I believe it does or does not get into the ground water. The anti's will convince people of that whether it's true or not. I think one of the first attacks to get lead away from us by the anti-gunners/hunters was the issue of ducks skimming up shotgun pellets on bottom of ponds and dying from lead poisoning. I think they said something like the University of PA did a test on it or survey. Years later Univ of Pa said they never did that or said that. Something like that. Anyways lead BB's have been banned for quite some time from use in federal game bird hunting. So they won that little part of the battle. One of the first attacks was lead base paint. I think that came first to show what lead can do to children. I'd sure like to see the statistics to that survey too. I know lead is harmful, any heavy metal is to the body, but I think they stretch the truth.

What calibers do you swage for? Any jacketed swaging?

Joe

Joe the lead base paint ban came about because children were chewing on the wood work in old houses and getting lead poisoning. This was a good idea in my opinion.
The water fowl would eat gravel off the bottom of the pond, lake to use in grinding their food in their craw. From what I've read another good idea.
Do you remember Ethol, the gas additive? It was an antiknock additive used in most gas. The lead in the atmosphere was prevasive. It was every where. Another good idea.

I got into the swaging game to make a good indoor bullseye bullet for my 357, then got set up for 45acp and 45 Colt.
I got one die body with a wadcutter point and a SWC point. Then I bought another die with the basegard and could use the same nose punches. They were so much fun I did the same thing with the 45s.
What's neat is to have control on the bullet weight for your wadcutters. I settled on 140 grain basegard bullets for the indoor bullseye match. Lower recoil higher velocity.
Had to drop shooting wadcutters because the range went to a lead dust abatement curtain behind the targets and wadcutters punched out full diameter hole in the curtain, So I switched to the semi. Used the same powder charge and bullet weight, and kept shooting.
You want to see something awe inspiring have a look at a 45 Colt with a 250 full wadcutter in it. The 45 Auto rim is impressive also.

Jim

posted Hide Post
Gnoahhh did you ask them about it? I'd be interested to know to. I've been there and have seen it used but never bothered to ask because it was obvious to me it means a cast bullet. I think you're right that someone used it and it stuck. Since I haven't seen it anywhere else I guess they either don't use it elsewhere or they don't go anywhere else to talk about cast bullets? I guess Starmetal doesn't like it either. I've seen the term jacketed used and no one was taken to task for it (maybe Starmetal was?). If so it seems childish to me.

I got the same impression Paul B did, A bullet is clad in copper. A boolit is nekkid lead, with maybe a little cup on one end. Bolits are cast, bullets are swaged. Paul B.

I don't think that cast bullets is being avoided as I see it written too. It's apparent to me that it's a club type thing like a secret handshake or a secret decoder ring. I understand that the early Christians used to draw a fish in the dirt or someplace to identify themsleves to one another? I don't see what the big deal is? I guess it's like some preople getting upset about calling San Fransisco, 'Frisco'. Maybe some people just have to be upset about something.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I almost took this "boolit" thing seriously.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are very convincing, aren't they Max?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes,Stametal(aka Joe,MaxPayne,et al ,ad naus.),I read you here sucking up to Saeed and his minion..What a Hoot that a self-desribed Techie like you would need Don to retrieve a forgotten password..LOL....&..After the black helicopters come and rip all the lead out of the bullet casters hands, what the blazes is your take on why the Corbin owners get to keep their core materials ????? OR MAYBE NOT ???? Idabull

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Bull,

Nice try, but it ain't gonna work.

Joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
about as silly of an argument as ive seen. Who gives a rats ass what you call your bullets. Ill call mine Susan if i want. I shoot cast. ALOT of cast and very little jacketed (rifle only) and do it because there better not because i think im better. I didnt invent either so i can take no credit for it. As for casting them any idiot can do that and it doesnt take a scientist. Bullit bullet who cares. Since when have we had to be politicaly correct about that. More important things in my life to worry about. Some people need to get a life!

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Lloyd
My thoughts exactly.
Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
"they"were using 'boolits" at the old Shooter's cast bullet board the day Starmetal(aka Joe,MaxPayne,et al, ad naus.) signed on..Through thousands of post there,and continuing on "that other board" he never posted about having a problem with boolits,boolets,or bullettes..Guess this new thing is a late-Breaking vision on the subject,sort of like the lead shortage for casting but not for swaging idea...!!! BTW,has anyone seen where he has shared his view on Muslim chaplains in the U.S Armed Services with his new buddies ,Saeed & Don ???? Idabull

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

You still swaging 38 wadcutters? When you knurled the one that you did, what kind of lube did you use on them? When I was shooting the factory wadcutters my favorite load was 2.7 grs of Bullseye. I had three S&W's that loved that load. I preferred the Hornady dry lube wadcutter because they weren't as messy as the greasy lube Speer used on theirs. They both were equally accurate though. Corbin says you can swage lead lead bullets and groove or knurl them faster then using casting methods. What's your say on that?

Joe

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
TRK

I find it hard to beleive that you could be so misinformed and so shallow to follow the recent trend to mispell the word for "projectile". So many people on the net today seem to find this kewt or humorous or trendy . . .
We all know this, and hopefully will drop this misrepresenttation and use only . . . ONLY the correct spelling from now on!
You used your idea of the current spelling for a cast lead projectile . . . "BOOLET"

I am here to correct this misuse of the English language and set you straight and so many others STRAIGHT . . .
The one and only correct spelling is "boolit".

Please make note of this spelling in any future writings.
LouisB

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote