New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ballistic coefficient?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was wondering if anyone here has tried Lees new "Keith style bullet" for the 38/357 molds? It is in the bullet mold lineup and it says it is new. It is labeled as 358-158-RF. I am inteerested in using that style bullet mold. Can anyone tell me in terms of ballistics or shock, whether that bullet would do better than a SWC of same grain? I mean what might or might not a person gain by using such a bullet over a SWC? In one of my Lee catalogs it has a ballistic coefficient listed for the different bullets. The 358-158-RF has a coefficient of .160. the TL358-158-SWC has a ballistic coefficient of .117. and the same grain roundnose bullet has a coefficient of .207. What do these numbers mean in terms of the bullets performance? Cory

one of us
posted Hide Post
"The 358-158-RF has a coefficient of .160. the TL358-158-SWC has a ballistic coefficient of .117. and the same grain roundnose bullet has a coefficient of .207. What do these numbers mean in terms of the bullets performance? Cory"

Ballistic coefficient Cory is a math model which determines how the bullet shape flyes thru the air per the resistance of air drag. The higher the BC the less that design drops over a given distance in the trajectory arc. Actual firing tests to determine drop at ranges usually are quite close to the published BC's-- but there's exceptions.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Keith Style" is just a SWC variant. Elmer Keith had strong opinions on lube groove and driving band design.

Imho, ballistic coefficients are pretty much meaningless to those of us who shoot non-scoped revolvers at normal ranges;i.e, less than 100 yards. SWCs offer better game performance than RN.

If you are trying to keep things simple or cheap, a SWC mould around 158 grains should do a reasonable job of anything you would be doing with a .38 or .357.

Something worth considering is that Lee Precision is offering a 153 RN six cavity intended for the .38 Super for $25 in their surplus department. You'd have to buy handles for a six cavity mould, but that one would cover the 9mm range as well as the .38 range. Just shoot them as cast in the .38/.357.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Something worth considering is that Lee Precision is offering a 153 RN six cavity intended for the .38 Super for $25 in their surplus department. You'd have to buy handles for a six cavity mould, but that one would cover the 9mm range as well as the .38 range. Just shoot them as cast in the .38/.357
I considered this hard but I looked at alot of the 38 super auto bullets in Lees catalog and the shank doesn't look near as long as the 357 bullets. I was afraid I may get into a situation with having TOO MUCH CASE CAPACITY by using these bullets as I couldn't see a pic of the 153 surplus bullets. Besides Lee claims alot of the bullets from their molds do not need resized. If this is true and I had some good bullets that made this claim true then I would be shooting .356 bullets in a bore intended for .357-.357. Am I right? Cory

one of us
posted Hide Post
Anything is possible, but I would expect a mould that was nominally .356 to drop bullets in the .357 to .358 range. They'll still load and shoot fine unsized in barrels with a groove diameter of .355 to .356.

I shot my way into Expert class in PPC shooting bullets from a Lee mould that were intended for 9mm. I'm too lazy to go out to the shop and look for the model number, but those were 130 to 135 grain TCs. They sized just a bit run into a .356 sizing die and just lubed with a touch on the sides of a .358. I've shot those bullets in everything from a .380 to a .357 Max. I'd drop them without hesitation into a .35 Rem, .358 or .35 Whelen case for playing around or killing the odd squirrel.

Don't worry about excess case capacity in a .38 Sp. or a .357. They'll work just fine using data for 158 grain RN.

Now you have done it. I have argued myself into ordering one for myself on top of the 50 or so moulds I already own and it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!!

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
but I know LSWC is a good paper puncher but would it provide plenty of shock power from a moderate load for large cat sized game vs the "LEE Elmer Keith look alike bullet" in their mold lineup. Someone else said if I was concerned about it to load some jacketed hollow points but like I said I want to be able to have a good all purpose rd to avoid carrying 2 different bullets with me on camping excursions. I have heard all kinds of opinions and I believe the LSWC would perform well but just looks like tha flatter face of thr RF bullet might hit harder. But I also do not want to sacrifice accuracy for a small shock gain. I have noticed a real lack of good Elmer Keith bullets for 38/357 in the market. The best ones seem to be for their original intended caliber of 44 or 45. I guess the flat faced bullets just look more "wicked" than a SWC which in a 38 bullet seems to almost border a RN. Cory

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not trying to be a more power dude like Tim the tool man [Big Grin] . But just wanting the most shock and accuracy from a given velocity in different bullet designs. I wish I had the time and money to shoot a bunch of ballistic gelatin to test them for myself. Cory

[ 03-15-2003, 18:45: Message edited by: cmcalpin2002 ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cory,

Yer splittin' hairs. BC on revolver bullets is so low to begin with that its not even a consideration. Pure wadcutter designs are the worst but even they work fine out to 60 or 70 yards.

You can lump all the SWC designs together and when you're shooting game you won't be able to tell the difference. Lee's shapes are as good as anyone's. I just don't like aluminum moulds. You could conceiveably offset any imagined handicap in a nose design's killing capacity by simply driving the bullet a tiny bit faster.

Get the nicest mould you can afford and have at it.

Paul

Posts: 130 | Location: Davenport, IA | Registered: 20 March 2003Reply With Quote