New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lights for Hog hunt?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am going hog hunting late this month in AR. Probably hunt in low light or the dark. What do you recommend for a lighting system to hunt/shoot them? I don’t want to spend thousands on night vision. I have a scope with a red dot reticle, but should I mount a light on the scope to see the hog? What system of lighting do you guys use to hunt hogs?

Posts: 157 | Location: Kenosha, WI | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i tape/tie wrap the cheapo low voltage solar
stuff from walmart to feeder legs.... the kind that charges during the day, comes on at night, stays on till the batteries go down... hogs and coons dont mind...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2831 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://i13.photobucket.com/alb...gs/david07050012.jpg

This is one solution for about $100 plus a battery. Good for about 75-100 yds and I don't care what the marketing folks say--it isn't a 250-yd light.

It either clamps on top of a 1" tube scope or you can put a scope ring for Weaver-type bases on the scope upside down, and attach the light to the scope mt. That's the best way IMO--I've used duct tape and the weaver mount is the bestest.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
Picture of Reiter
posted Hide Post
There´s a setup that can be beaten, for it´s small price.

Get a Ultrafire WF-500 at dealextreme.com for 25 USD.

Then buy a bulb at lumensfactory.com , called HO-R5.

Buy 2 rechargeable batteries (18650 , they better be AW´s ones - awwan01@yahoo.com) and a charger, the WF-139.

It´s not a tactical light that you can rely on 100%, but the cheap wf-500 body with the great bulb from LF make´s it much more dependable. You can also benefit from a incadescent light, from the ho-r5 bulb, which in theory is better for us to evaluate distance, size, etc, giving us a better vision. LED lights tend to change the natural collors in objects, so it´s more dificult to recognize them.

And total price (with batteries and charger) would be around 75 USD.

Other than that, if you want a tactical light, get the surefire one´s. You can also customize them by changing bulbs, adding batteries, but it´s not that simple and for hunting matters I don´t it is all that necessary. Other good brands are inova, olight, nitecore, etc.

Olight has some good models (I have the M20 warrior premiun), it´s the best tactical light I had untill now. Only thing is a LED light. Best thing to decide between LED/INCAN lights is to read a little bit about it, then get the 2 models and compare at your own needs (like hunting, for example)

Basically, you can choose between compact models (that would give you 200-800 lumens), or go bigger and get a H.I.D., where you can get more than 4.000 lumens ( but they are way bigger).

Good HID´s would be the Microfire, the Olight SR90, Polarion, etc.

Best regards,

Reiter.

Posts: 130 | Location: South America | Registered: 26 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
I have two set ups right now. Last year, I bought a solar powered motion sensing security light and attached it to a tree above my bait station, and it has proven to work great.

I just recently bought a Laser Genetics ND-3 light system mounted on one of my AR's, but I haven't had the opportunity to try it yet.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dustoffer:
http://i13.photobucket.com/alb...gs/david07050012.jpg

This is one solution for about $100 plus a battery. Good for about 75-100 yds and I don't care what the marketing folks say--it isn't a 250-yd light.
QUOTE]

Dustoffer....What are you showing me? I do not see a lighting system, do I? If so what is it?

Posts: 157 | Location: Kenosha, WI | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Sullivan:
I just recently bought a Laser Genetics ND-3 light system mounted on one of my AR's, but I haven't had the opportunity to try it yet.

I would be interested in how the ND-3 light works for you. Has anyone here used one? This sounds like what I may be interested in.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The light is mounted on the scope.Optronics i think.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Plainsman, and yes it does mount on your optics. It is sold by Laser Genetics for $300. It is basically a high intensity (or laser) flashlight that you attach to your scope or other optics and it shines a green light. But, I wanted to know if it works well to shoot a coyote or hog at 100 yards at night and be able to make a well placed shot because you can see to make the shot. And the game animal is not spooked by it. I wondered if it was worth the $300. I am looking for a good lighting system to shoot hogs and coyote at night with a scoped rifle. I hate to spend several thousand $ on night vision equipment if I can get away with a good 100 to 500 dollar light system. Looking for advise on this.

one of us
posted Hide Post
JohnnyB--it's the red circular lens above the scope that I'm referring to.

It's similar to this one, but not an Optronics brand.

http://www.gandermountain.com/...5&aID=508R&cID=GSHOP

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"