New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Need a little advice
 Login/Join

posted
Quote:

I use a red dot on my hog gun---Ruger 44 carbine,also on my encore pistol,also in 44. Welcome to middle age.

It ain't bad, just roll with the flow. Even maybe get a 2x red dot., 1.5'x

one of us
posted Hide Post
I really don't want to come across as a dunce, but I wonder if I could get a little advice here. I am planning to do a Wild Boar hunt in the immediate future. I have all intentions of using a Ruger #3 in 45-70, pushing a 350 gr. Hornady RN at a true 2100 fps. I know this is more than enough gun. My problem is my eyes. I had every intention of using a peep sight, until I realized I can no longer see the front sight for s***. I do not want to mount a scope as it overhangs the action, slowing reload time My question is, what is your opinion of using some kind of red dot scope, keeping in mind the possibility of battery failure at the worst possible time. (Pissed off pig) I, for one don't think there should be any problem at all, But, if there is anyone with experience hunting these critters, I sure would appreciate some feedback.
Thanks

Posts: 282 | Location: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY | Registered: 26 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a red dot on my hog gun---Ruger 44 carbine,also on my encore pistol,also in 44. Welcome to middle age.

Posts: 202 | Location: davenport, iowa | Registered: 31 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the dot scopes for close range shooting but have trouble seeing the target with them in low light conditions. This is when I see most of the hogs in my part of the world and would much rather have a scope. I'd be more concerned with being able to see the hog and get a shot than trying to reload. I've never had one stick around for a second bullet unless he was broken down and couldn't run.

Posts: 125 | Location: Coalgate, Oklahoma | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tweesdad... Can you still dance? I have had two hogs catch up with me, once when I had a ruger number one. Boy do things get exciting. I am sure glad Matt didnt over react and try to shoot the boar for me, he probably would have shot me.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh Yeah, I can still dance. Whats more, I can still put 6 rounds of .44 Mag in a 3 inch circle at 15 yards in about 4 seconds. I don't think the pig wants to dance, but if so, let the music begin.

Posts: 282 | Location: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY | Registered: 26 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Consider getting an EER scope and mounting it farther out. Or a bigger bead on the front sight. Most shooters with aging eyes seem to have trouble with the rear sight, seems as if you are the exception.

I like Red dots, so that is certainly an option, but as some have pointed out, they tend to be pretty dim, which is a major problem when pig hunting in low light conditions, which is often. If you want to spend the bucks, consider Trijicons.

BTW, 350s at 2100 are certainly adequate for hogs, I load them at about 1800, kill them just as dead and enjoy it more.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jay- Have you considered replacing your fron sight with a fiberoptic sight. I have a Marlin .45-70 for hog hunting with a Williams peep sight and fiberoptic front sight. The fiberoptic front sight is very easy to pick up. Take a look at www.williamsgunsight.com/. Good Luck....MARK

one of us
Picture of Hawaiian_Hunter
posted Hide Post
A buddy of mine has a dominant left eye but is right handed so he was having all kinds of problems. I recommended he get a red-dot sight zero magnification, and shoot with both eyes open. This was about 15 years ago and he hasn't had a problem since. It's mounted on a Savage 170 pump-action 30-30 with 18" barrel I found for him at a gunshow, talk about a great pig gun for the brush. I don't think you need to worry about the battery giving out as it's a gradual process, not going completely dead all at once, but getting dimmer with time, carry a spare battery too just in case, they are cheap, and have a long shelf life. I recommend you get a quality red-dot that has an adjustable brightness so that you can turn it down in twilight times, and crank it up in full daylight.

Posts: 158 | Location: Moku Manu, Hawai'i | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Tried a red dot, and love the darn thing. Keeping both eyes open is the only way to go. Learned to shoot that way many years ago. Thanks for the help