Find
Notify
Tools

Hog Ammo ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted
What factory ammo do you hog hunters reccommend for use in the winchester 94 30/30 range may be to 50 yards.

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Any of it except the 22 Accelerator if they still make that. On the other hand, if your 30-30 will shoot 1-2 inches at 50 yards even the Accelerators kill stone dead on head shots.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Either 150 or 170gr is fine... I'd choose the heavier bullet always, but that's just my preference.

.22 LR Ruger M77/22
30-06 Ruger M77/MkII
.375 H&H Ruger RSM

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
I shot the 94 this weekend there inside a quarter at 50 yards with factory winchester 170 gr. silvertips. I will use this load not only for hogs but for deer and bear. I hope the silvertips hold up i am getting mixed reviews on this bullet so i will have to test them for myself.

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i thought you had to go to a french autoloader if you shot anything but 170 SP's in a 30/30...

mixed reviews? that would probably be from misses, not hits

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38596 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can shoot a model 94 inside a quarter at 50 yards too. Of course, it depends on where you put the quarter, and, oh.....just one shot. Wink

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have used 150 and 170 and could not tell the dif within 50 yards. I saw a new load last week. It was at Wallmart 150 gr HP . It did not have any exposed lead. the bullet looked like a copper pill iwht a hole in the end.

Posts: 21 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
150gr or 170gr...it doesn't matter. I've killed untold numbers of hogs with a 30-30 and it's the grain of the ammo doesn't matter.
I personally use 150's because it's more of an "all around" grain weight but thats the only reason. The most important thing is bullet placement. The second most important thing is bullet placement. When you forget #2 see #1.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote