Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Check out this video we made a few weekd ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...zmNBLCHADtUtDof-Fxwg

One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
Looks like you guys got into a mess of hogs with the boys from Cedar Ridge.

Don't want to be too critical but the pump shotgun being loaded and chambered with the muzzle pointing at the blades (~4 minutes into the video) was a big no-no.

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

Posts: 369 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry but imo This should not be displayed here.
This is a hunting forum!

Posts: 208 | Location: PortugaL | Registered: 10 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a hunting forum .
I understand eradication sometimes needs to be done but this is not hunting.

Posts: 208 | Location: PortugaL | Registered: 10 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I understand that hogs have created havoc on farms and ranches but I am getting two stories when it comes to pigs.

1. there are so many and the breed so fast that they are causing excessive damage. This is part of the drive to legalize shooting them from a helicopter
2. try to go on a hog hunt and see how much you have to pay to help eliminate the vermin. Yeah I know, you are paying for the guides time, blah,blah, blah... $500 per pig is not just the guides time and fuel.

If they are truly vermin and doing so much damage to business then you think they would be begging folks to lend a hand. It sounds more like creating and marketing a crisis to bring in more $$. Granted not all land owners fail into this category. I just get tired of hearing that these bad old piggies are destroying my livelihood but you can help me for $500 and animal. In many places they feed these mean old piggies to facilitate hunting. Isn't that like leaving crumbs on your counter to draw in the roaches so you can kill them more easily?

I would love to be able to take my son hunting and lend a hand in reducing feral hog populations. I don't mind paying the land owner for his time and expenses. The last time I paid to go hunting these problem critters we couldn't even find one despite coring the roads and despite the fact it was in deer season on the corn feeders were on line for deer. The guy offering the hunt charged a reasonable and said since we didn't even see a hog we could come back. But $500 per animal that is supposed to be so problematic.

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the reason most land owners don't let just anyone come in and shoot hogs off their property is because of liability issues. Another big issues is you let someone have access and before you know it their bringing their friends leaving gaits open, beer bottles laying around and ny pet peeve cigarette butts.

I know there are exceptions, and i have two friends that are allowed to hunt our property but i doubt i would give any person i had just met unsupervised access to hunt.

Posts: 47 | Location: TX | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just saw your in corpus, so am i, my brother and i have some property in duval county. hunting hogs during deer season is much harder as they turn nocturnal and will bug out of an area they've been shot at.we only kill the occasional hog during deer season but any other time of the yr when you don't have everybody in the county out shooting at them, you get thyem coming into the feeders during the day and hanging around an area longer if don't blast them everyday.

little known fact is there is state land out on the island that has deer, a little over a thousand acres, also if you have a boat you can down the intracoastal waterway and hunt spoil islands and the kingranch shoreline up to the high water mark for deer hogs and nilgi (this is state property)

Posts: 47 | Location: TX | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rootkiller,

Thanks for the insight and info. I had buddies you used to hunt Dagger Island for Nilgai. They stopped a few years back due to complications with game wardens. I won't even dare to try the King Ranch shoreline. I have heard of too many problems hunting and fishing that "state" land.

Could you send me a PM with some details about the 1000 acres on the island?

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Indi:
This is a hunting forum .
I understand eradication sometimes needs to be done but this is not hunting.

this is legal in texas -

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Intersting ,good aerial platform shooting training.
Its a bit sad to exterminate them from a region ,but i can understand ,we need more lands ,its the same here sadly but necesary .I always prefer game that agriculture .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok,, So I leave for work this morning and when I get to the front of my property and turn out my gate the wild pigs have torn my entire enrty way into what looks like bomb craters and a mine field..... I get to go home and spend 2-3 hours trying to relevel what they have destroyed,, did I loose any crops,, not this time,, did they destroy water lines for livestock or irrigation,, not this time but they will be back....Unless you live with their destruction on a daily basis you can not understand. Hunting them is not just showing up and shooting them. I live there and I try to illiminate them when i see them but I can not be awake 24-7. They are nocturnal most of the time especially during the warmer months. We hunt them using night vision and thermal imaging and any possible way imaginable. It may start out as a sport but it becomes work, and very expensive. Plant a 400 acre pasture and spend 8-10 grand on a food crop to see it destroyed in a day to where you have to bulldoze the field to even be able to drive across it.Bulldozers cost about 90-100 dollars an hour to operate. Have them break up 3000 feet of water lines and replace it..... It is not just as simple to say,, you guys come and help me with my pig problem, Who wants different people on your property that you don't know 365 days of the year??? Yes.... in Texas we have a serious wild pig problem...

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not my cup 'o tea, but here's what the farmers and ranchers are combating--

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just wondering, what kind of load are they using in the 12 gauge? OOB or slugs?

As a native Texan I can personally attest to the devestation those critters cause. Feral hogs are the only critter known to man to have a litter of 8, and 10 will reach maturity!

Eterry

Good luck and good shooting.
In Memory of Officer Nik Green, #198, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop G...Murdered in the line of duty 12-26-03...A Good Man, A Good Officer, and A Good Friend gone too soon

Posts: 849 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote