New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not doing my job!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Been seeing pig on game cam at my place but he does not show when I am there. Went tonight, feeder went off at 8:00. 8:05 I saw a different shadow, yes pig! Right behind the feeder leg! Watched him through the scope, my right arm started cramping. Put rifle down for a minute and back up, he was gone! Saw him again to left and he turned broad side. Bang but no flop! Somebody said use a bigger rifle. 416 Ruger! Went to the feeder and found a double handful of lung! Not blood but lung. It went out the back of the feeder to the right. Blood just stopped. Looking around, walked up on a copperhead. Think I could hit it with my 22? Somehow hit the mode switch on my flash light and turned it off! Got it back on but lost the snake, time to go another direction!!! Went to the left and found a drop of blood/lung on a broom weed. I had hacked a trail behind and to the left of the feeder that the cows are using a lot. I headed that way. More blood on the trail! There is a small live oak at the straight end of the trail where after that turns slightly left. Tree is smeared with blood! He make it maybe 10 more foot. He ran 25 to 30 yards, just not doing my job right! I just left him there. Guessing 150#. All yall get is a crappy cell phone picture Ha Ha!

Posts: 706 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Dang. Glad you spotted that copperhead.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16419 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To me snakes are easier to see at night with a good flashlight. Hitting one in the head with a 22 revolver at night is a different story! I always wear leather gloves when hunting at night. You can smash a wasp nest, pinch a scorpion, flunk a spider or man handle a mouse. A few summers ago, it was still fairly light and a shower started. To escape the rain a hawk tried to land on me! I caught it with the gloved hand, looked it over and let it go! Its also how I break in a new pair. Pulling off a glove in the blind to shoot a rifle is easy. Taking off the glove on the ground, holding it in a gloved hand with a flashlight to draw and shoot a handgun is a recipe for disaster!

Posts: 706 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I agree. To me, snakes stand out more when illuminated with a flashlight at night. Copperheads blend in exceptionally well in daylight.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9341 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Snakes are the main reason that when hunting, I wear a revolver with the cylinder loaded with 3 snake loads and 3 serious loads. A snake bite can mess up a great outing. I have been able to kill snakes at night when illuminated with a flashlight or lantern. The charge of #12 shot seems to make them forget about striking me. Wink

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's a funny "???" one I had one night.

First wife and I coming from her folks in
the snake country to home. 3' prairie rattler
crossing the paved road.
No shovel or anything much to kill it with.
Got the 16"long 1/2" breaker bar.

Thought I had rolled the front tire on it. A
bit short, told her to pull fwd a bit. About
6" stopped on it behind the head and stopped.

I whacked it on the head and got a hard smack
on the back of that hand. Took awhile to figure
out it had flipped it's tail around and hit me.

Pulped it's head then and cut the rattles off.

I've never been able to hit one in the head
shooting at them.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5949 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote