New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Are Wild Boars good to eat?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Wild boar in Germany are fairly good eating, yes they do taste different from the farm raised pigs. We have them running all over the training area here in Hohenfels.

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They were there when I was there in 59 too.
Just got back from a hog hunt in SC,I didn't get one but some of the other fellows did,I have had fried tender lion twice this week and sausage.I couldn't tell much difference in it and tame hogs.

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not shot or eaten wild hogs, but would not the feed, or food be the deciding factor on the tast of the hog?

Posts: 134 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hawaiian_Hunter
posted Hide Post
You know the old saying "You are what you eat", well this applies to Wild Boar as well. Where I live there is great pig hunting 15 minutes up the road, but they feed on the shrubs, and ferns that grow up there so they taste like crappola, very herby, and gamey. They are also smaller pure black Polynesian Boars with no domestic blood in them so very lean, and tough. I drive an hour, and a half to my friends property which is covered with wild fruit trees (mango, guava, vaivi, liliko'i, etc.), and the pigs decend from the crossing of free range domestic escapees, and wild blood, these pigs grow BIG, and are fatty, and very tasty. I'd rather drive the hour, and a half. Asks the locals in the area where you'll be hunting, and they'll give you the straight story on edibility of local pigs. Hope that helps.

Posts: 158 | Location: Moku Manu, Hawai'i | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With Quote