Find
Notify
Tools

West TX in Late November, What to Do??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gents,

I'll be in West TX at the end of November 2006 with a couple of days to kill. I'll probably be flying into the Midland airport - just to give you an idea of the general area (TX seems to be big place!). Any ideas or suggestions on how to spend a couple of days?? I had been thinking of hunting pigs or even blackbuck (if not too expensive?). Sadly, I won't be able to take care of any meat.

Ideas, suggestions or general comments would be much appreciated.

- mike

P.S. will the blackbuck actually be black in late November??

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
HI!!!

Say, didn't you get a really nice bastogne blank from me?

Texas is huge... it's roughly 880mile across and bit more, north to south... if you are in Orange, you are closer to the atlantic than the western edge... if you are in the north, you are closer to canada than the sourthen part, and, in the southern part, closer to the equator than to the northen part...

if you flipped texas on it's eastern edge, the western edge would hit the sea!!

So, end of november, you can take any exotic or pig (basically, not deer, doves, or ducks) on a cheap 3 days license. I don't know any place to hunt in midland, but Rusty sure might.

hogs, expect to pay 400-750 for an all in, 3 day, 2 night hut...

black buck BUCKS are going to be more in the 1000-2500 range, if you want a tropy.. does about 10% of that.

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38593 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
Say, didn't you get a really nice bastogne blank from me?

Certainly did - here is a post I made about what the blank was eventually turned into:

Cross posted from another thread:

quote:

Here is another Serengeti stocked rifle:

This is a M700 Varmint in .223 Rem, which after 10-15 years really needed some work. Our very own Jeffeosso provided a Bastogne blank with a lot of fiddle. The action was done over by Kirby Allen (who either posts here, or used to post here under the name "fiftydriver"), and the rifle was restocked in a Sako factory stock pattern with a modified foreend by Serengeti. Bottom metal is from Williams. Given that Rod from Serengeti posts here occasionally almost makes this a 100% AR rifle... Smiler

The barrel is a Krieger stainless in a M700 Varmint Factory contour. The Jewell trigger was already installed before the latest rework of the rifle. The scope is a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50.

Nice rig, I really enjoy the Sako factory style stock. The fairly steep pistol grip and in particular the palm swell makes it a natural shooter on the range.

quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
Texas is huge... it's roughly 880mile across and bit more, north to south... if you are in Orange, you are closer to the atlantic than the western edge... if you are in the north, you are closer to canada than the sourthen part, and, in the southern part, closer to the equator than to the northen part...

if you flipped texas on it's eastern edge, the western edge would hit the sea!!

So, end of november, you can take any exotic or pig (basically, not deer, doves, or ducks) on a cheap 3 days license. I don't know any place to hunt in midland, but Rusty sure might.

hogs, expect to pay 400-750 for an all in, 3 day, 2 night hut...

black buck BUCKS are going to be more in the 1000-2500 range, if you want a tropy.. does about 10% of that.

jeffe

Yeah, I remember driving more than a day getting from the NM border to Del Rio, and another day to get from Del Rio to Colorado through the Panhandle (I believe?). Big place you have there.

Do you think Rusty might spot the post here, or should I post this on a different forum??

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
If you will have a rental car and are willing to do some driving (175 miles each way or so) you could contact Mesquite Country Outfitters and see if they can work a hog hunt in for you.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Charles, that is an option I can look into. I will have a car available.

- mike

one of us
Picture of verhoositz
posted Hide Post
Contact TexasOutdoorsOrganizers or TOO in San Antonio at 210-497-3552 and talk to Willie. He specializes in finding specific things for hunters by working with ranch's all over the state. I'll see if I can dig up his webiste as well but it is prolly something like www.TexasOutdoorOrganizers.com if I remember right. Great guy and works for his hunters first instead of for just a few ranchs.

Got another buddy who does guided javelina & hog hunts out of a ranch couple hours southwest of there, and has picked up clients from all over the world at the Midland/Odessa airport. You can look him up here on AR under the name "Crazyhorse Consulting" which is the name of his guide service. I've hunted with him a time or two in other places and he is a one of a kind treat to be around...and his wifes cooks damned good too. I'm looking forward to hunting out of state in Colorado and maybe Nebraska next year with him as a hunting partner if the timing is right, and not a guide.
One of those two guys will find what you want.
Ron

Posts: 260 | Location: On the Red River in North Texas | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that Ron, that is certainly something to look into. Appreciate the help!

- mike

P.S. Was this the website you had in mind: http://www.outdoorstexas.com/??

one of us
Picture of verhoositz
posted Hide Post
Mike
I just got the phone with Willie and would suggest you try and reach him at the office # I gave you or his cell @ 210-215-3877.
And yes your are right about the www.outdoorstexas.com website being the right one.
Hope you get everything worked out to your satifaction.
Ron

Posts: 260 | Location: On the Red River in North Texas | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
I would keep in mind that whitetails and muleys will be rutting during this time period. It could be an exciting hunt. Another option would be a free range auodad hunt in the Davis Mountains. The going rate for an auodad hunt is about $3500.00. The davis mountains would be about two to three hour drive from Midland.
Ryan

Posts: 36 | Location: lubbock,texas | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ron, I'm trying to get a firm handle on what dates I have available, but when that is done, I'll see what Willie has to suggest. There were already a couple of possible leads on his website!

Ryan, good idea about the deer hunting. In fact, the reason I'm coming to TX and have a couple of days spare in the first place, is actually a spot of (mule) deer hunting. The only thing which worries me at present, is the impact the drought will have had on the deer. But I guess you can't win them all...

- mike

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Contact Wildlife Systems, Inc.. They are based in San Angelo, which isn't too far from Midland (112 miles). They have a flawless reputation and they have LOTS of different options to choose from for everything from Whitetail and Hogs to Exotics. They should have some hunt to fit your budget. You should be able to do a Trophy Blackbuck for about $1,500. They have a free range Aoudad hunt for $3,200. Then they also have a 3 day Hog/Javelina/Predator hunt all-inclusive (guide, meals, & lodging) for $1,195. Good luck! thumb

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3107 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Greetings from Colorado. May I recommend a man named Jim Blaine in Odessa Tex. He has a very nice lodge, more hog huntimg than you can imagine and reasonable prices as well.He hunts literally thousands of acres over several counties. Jim used to have an oil drilling outfit called John Drilling as well. Good Hunting, Cheers, Luke

Posts: 358 | Location: pueblo, Co. USA | Registered: 01 July 2006Reply With Quote