New
Find
Notify
Tools

Free hog hunt.......
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I currently have a fairly large population of hogs digging holes in my pasture on my ranch. Between ranch work, laziness, and general impatience as I grow older, I currently don't have the time or the desire to sit and wait or stalk them in the heat and my son is tied up with football practices and school starting. Anyone on AR who has a minimum of 500 posts, give or take, is welcome to come by and try their luck. Frankly, the chances are not all that great unless you have night hunting capabilities or are really eaten up with trying to kill a hog. They're here but they ain't stupid, usually (always exceptions). I've shot them constantly for years and most of my hogs are college graduates with a "how not to die" diploma. OTOH, the costs are minimal, as in zero. Be damn sure you can tell the difference between a hog and a cow or a deer. GAME LAW VIOLATIONS WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. My ranch is located in NE Texas very near where Tx, Ok, and Ar join. I am 2 1/2 hrs drive E of Dallas and about 4 1/2 hours N of Houston. In addition, unlike most of the rest of Texas, we've had over 12 inches of rain in the last 2 weeks and we were not dry before that, so the grass is quite tall which makes spotting them in pastures very difficult. Finally, unless you are really a good walker, you will need a 4 wheeler, ranger, or similar to get around. GPS recommended, compass required if you're going into the brush after them. I ain't a search and rescue operation. I will give you a brief orientation and try to get you on hogs and you're welcome to use our blinds on the corn feeders we have working but this is NOT a guided hunt. Your chances will be greatly improved if you can walk and stalk. I'll probably help you with the skinning if you need it. I also expect NO litter and no remnants (if you brought it and we don't burn it in a campfire, you take it out) left when you leave and for the hunter(s) to sign a release of liability. Beer, wine, or alcohol is no problem unless you're a drunk, in which case you need to stay home. You can camp (hot or hotter at night currently ) or bring some type of trailer/camper on my place (minimal electrical hookups could be available for a few bucks, but they are not set up for heavy demand, my ranch is NOT a commercial operation and I am not a hand holder), or the nearest motels are about 30 miles away either in New Boston, TX or Idabel, Ok. Also don't come when it's wet, as in raining or just finished, check with me first. My ranch is mostly clay based ground and I don't want it cut up with ruts. This offer is open (subject to my scheduling) until the week before my deer season starts, which is about the first of Oct, so that means the third weekend of Sept, weekdays are no problem on this end but we won't have a barbecue except on weekends. Fathers (or Mothers or both) with hunting age children will be given preference. Only one group or one hunter/family at a time if they are not together. There is plenty of room for multiple hunters if they can avoid shooting each other, which is not a preferred practice. Since I like meeting new AR members, we'll probably (again depends on my and my friends schedule) have a steak dinner, fish fry, or a Texas barbecue while you're here. My ranch ain't in any way or any form a reflection of the TV show Dallas, it's plain old Texas. If anyone has any interest or questions PM me. Butchlambert, who posts on AR, was an invitee for him and his grandson to hunt deer here last year and posted a report about it. You might ask him if this is for real or not. No one that I know calls me Mr. Congeniality so if you act like a horse's butt, don't expect me to smile and ignore it. OTOH I like to meet people who act like real people and would welcome you to my place. Your choice. This offer is subject to withdrawal at any time but will no longer be open after the third week of Sept at the latest. If this hasn't scared you off by now, PM me if you are interested.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PS: I want to be more clear about your chances. I wouldn't invite anyone to waste their (and my) time if I didn't think they had a half way decent chance of killing some hogs if they're willing to work at it for a couple of days. But if anyone thinks there are hogs running everywhere on my ranch, day and night, like in some of those put and take operations you will be sadly disappointed. Please don't spend any real money or come a long distance unless you are mentally prepared to go back home hogless. My hogs are smarter than many hunters, they've been trained in a tough school.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Wow...what an incredible gesture... thumb But I have to say it is anything but surprising.

I've had the distinct pleasure of meeting Gatogordo and can tell you he is indeed a class act. He's one of the very few individuals who'd be welcome at my family's dinner able any day or any time -- no invitation required.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An incredible offer, wish the pacific didnt seperate us.

Posts: 4605 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Mr. Congeniality, what an excellent gesture. I wish I was in a position to avail myself of your generosity. The wife and I just had kid #3 though, which has severely impacted my available hunting funds. I do however, hope to hear of the successes of any who take you up on this offer. Perhaps you'll feel generous at some point in the future and I can take you up, as I would love to visit that part of the world and share a BBQ and cold beer with you.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Really great offer, wished that I was able to take you up on it. I am sure those that can will have an excellent experience and if they listen to what you tell them, will possibly kill a pig or two. thumb beer

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gato,
PM sent
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very generous offer!! beer

Too much on the calendar already Mad

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gat,

My hat's off to ya for doing a very nice thing!!!

Am actually headed to Houston on Saturday and will stay a while. Will probably hunt in West Texas with family friends ... and others who have not had the good fortune to hunt piggies should get priority!

Again, THANKS for thinkin' of us!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have probably known Gotogordo longer than anyone around . He never overstates anything ! I may have killed the first pig on what I call Utopia, his ranch ! It is a great place to hunt with lots of pigs , all are very smart or Very dead ! Gotogordo does not miss, EVER !The cookouts are Great and the Ranch is BEAUTIFUL !
Anyone lucky enough to go will never forget the trip !!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmm....an unsolicited comment from my good friend and hunting buddy of many years. I do miss quite often, I just try not to do it around him..... Wink

xxxxxxxxxx

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Gato is a stand up guy, and he is offering a FOR REAL hunt!

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to accept .... but maybe later in Autumn??..... my wife (Suzy) is severely handicapped; her brother (Mike - an amazingly nice guy) lives in Houston and we have been talking about making a visit. Suzy could stay with her sister-in-law and Mike and I could drive north. Anyhow....it's a thought...cast on the waters of anticipation. Poetic, eh???

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
hunting hogs with conventional bullets in august is always dicey .. you see, it might be just cool enough that your bullets don't melt on the way down range.. but if you are hunting after sun up,probably not likely to be that cool

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
Good on ya Gato. A nice offer for sure. clap

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by conifer:
I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to accept .... but maybe later in Autumn??..... my wife (Suzy) is severely handicapped; her brother (Mike - an amazingly nice guy) lives in Houston and we have been talking about making a visit. Suzy could stay with her sister-in-law and Mike and I could drive north. Anyhow....it's a thought...cast on the waters of anticipation. Poetic, eh???

Sorry, but this offer is only open until about the 3rd week Sept., we're a Tx Parks and Wildlife Level 3 game management ranch and we'll be in the middle of our deer season later in the fall. We kill a fair amount of hogs incidental to deer hunting but I don't want to have people running around disturbing my deer, they're sensitive, doncha know. Wink

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like I've got a pair of suck...I mean...hunters coming from Miss next weekend. Wish them luck, they'll need it.......banjo playing in background...... beer

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Hey Y'all,

Be sure to do your hunting before the BBQ. You won't be able to move after Gatogordo puts the feed bag on you.

Good luck to the hunters!

Kudo's to you Gato!!!

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Moonshot
posted Hide Post
I'm truly humbled at your generous offer. If it weren't for ONE: I'm new to this forum and TWO: work, women, and children (i.e. life), I'd jump on this like nobody's business...except yours, that is. There is a group of us here in the Northwest that are looking for a good "Levers and Wheels" hunt. Only lever action rifles and revolvers need apply. Hog hunting seems to fit that bill nicely. Now to find the appropriate location. Good luck with recruiting hunters for your land, it sounds fantastic.

M

Posts: 68 | Location: Beaverton, Oregon  | Registered: 20 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gato said he misses once in a while and while I believe him I can tell you his son Adam does not miss. I am sure those piggies have a PHD but if you can swing it I know it will be a great time. And Bob is right better hunt befoe you sit to eat. Gato puts on a hell of a feed.
If I wasn't in the middle of a move I would drive from here just for the feed and the campfire talk.
Good luck to all.

Michael J

Michael J

Posts: 485 | Location: Lakewood Colorado | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I am a few post's shy. Hope they help you out and get a few out of the herd.
Okie

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 608 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gato and I don't see eye-to-eye on some things. However, he has provided some mighty fine vittles when we went on Posse hunts. Adam is a fine shot.

I have started the fall semester and due to class schedule I have had to go to 2nd shift. Otherwise I might have asked Gato if he would allow me to try despite our most recent spat.

Gato, will you be so kind as to post pictures if your suck..I mean hunters shoot any pigs?

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It appears, and I stress appears, that the two who were coming this weekend are crawfishing. I don't have any problem with that, shit happens, schedules can't be arranged, etc. but I asked for confirmation, or at least an update, one way or the other last night. I haven't heard from them in over 3 days. If I don't hear from them soon, they won't be invited, not because they can't come but because they are not telling me what's going on. I'm making cooking arrangements for Sat and while it's not completely time critical, I think I deserve reasonable notice of their intentions, especially if they're changing their plans. It appears "free" is not so damn "free" on my end since I'm taking time out of my day to be accomodating and not getting a response to my PMs. Frankly, I'm getting annoyed.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately people seldom value what they get for free. It's a lesson I learned early in my sales years. I'm sorry you're not getting more respect for such a fine offer.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Harold R. Stephens
posted Hide Post
I understand your frustration of wanting simple common courtesy. I have a boss that accepts invites all the time with no intention of going and then backing out at the last minute. It use to really frustrate me until I realized I was going to all these things in his place. Still aggravates me because I know what preparations go on behind the scenes to put something like this together. I hope a couple of ungrateful airheads doesn't ruin it for others that would truly appreciate it.

Founding member of the 7MM STW club

Member of the Texas Cull Hunters Association

Posts: 512 | Location: Granbury, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Update:

Apparently they are still coming......just heard from jeffs.

xxxxxxxxxx

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
jeffs better be bringing something made on a mexican mauser action!

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Gatogordo,

Did your guests vome this past weekend? If so, how did they fare?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, they slunk back to Mississippi thoroughly defeated by my hogs and their evasion tactics. They gave it a solid effort, but the hogs just didn't cooperate. Hog sign everywhere, but not when or where they could get a shot at them. OTOH, while the hunters were well warned in advance of their intentions, our local mosquitos had a grand time hunting them. Wink

I think they had a good time, I was busy shredding pastures the majority of the time, so they were mostly on their own.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
I guess those Texas hogs have a higher IQ then they do out here. I let a friend come up Saturday to try to get a hog, he wanted to really look for a nice boar and make a day of it. He called my cell phone at 630 am Saturday morning to say thanks. First thing he drove out to the flats of our bull field and saw
a big black boar, according to him he parked his pickup walked to 100 yds out took a knee and dropped him, hog never looked up. We shoot a fair amount of hogs here, so I don't know how that rocket scientist boar made it to 275lbs! I congratulated him on his success by letting him buy me breakfast at the coffee shop in town. If he had only had a morning to hunt he wouldn't have I a thing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I really dunno. August, because of the heat, is normally one of our tougher months to kill hogs in anyway. I guess I/we shoot all the dumb ones that hang around too long in the open. We've got hundreds of acres of pine/oak thickets that hogs can roam in all day long and unless you're right on top of them you'll never see 'em.

I was really disappointed they didn't kill a few, and like I said, they gave it a pretty solid effort, but no cigar or hogs.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So much for shooting hogs, my question is did they get to enjoy your hospitality and revel with Bacchus?
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll let them answer, as far as I know they don't drink, or drink very little.

OTOH, our regular crew reveled with Bacchus in our usually manner, no praying to the porcelain gods that I know of, but there might have been some howling at the moon.......or that could have been a girlfriend. dancing

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gatogordo,

You made a very generous offer and I would have loved to have come up with my grandson simply to visit if nothing else. Post count is too low, and like you I have been so busy tending to things on our place, I would have felt guilty the whole time about not getting things done that needed be.

I know about those hogs with the PHD as well. We have graduated several classes at our place and my friends place also. Sorry those folks had to head back with empty coolers, but thats why it is called hunting and not shooting. It still makes for a good trip anyhow, and they did get to see some new country as well.

Good luck to anyone else who heads out.

Mike / Tx

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gatogordo:
I'll let them answer, as far as I know they don't drink, or drink very little.

QUOTE]

Well, this may drive them to drinking!

To reiterate what Mike just said, it was a generous offer on your part and well, that really is why they call it hunting. You don't appreciate it as much if you get hogs every time you go out.

I am sure they had a great time nonetheless.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Believe me, I'm not getting hogs every time I go out. I haven't shot one in nearly two months now. Summertime is usually slow anyway, and until I was able to start shredding last week, I couldn't before then due to our unusually heavy rains in this area (unlike most of the rest of the state that is really dry or worse) the grass and weeds have been so high that you couldn't see hogs if you tried. I was able to shred enough to give the Mississippi boys some areas where they could see in the pastures but unfortunately it didn't help. Hopefully with the cooler weather and the corn fields being harvested we'll see more of them.

I drove up on a group about 10 days ago, crossing a ranch road, they took two steps and all you see was the grass riffling as they ran off. Eeker

OTOH, I have to admit that I've killed enough hogs that I'm not eaten up with it anymore. I still enjoy it, but I'm now kind of a "just in time" hog hunter. I get there 5 minutes before I think they might come out, wait a few minutes and if they're not there, I go on and do something else. Nowadays, unless it is while I'm deer hunting, most of my hog shooting is when I spot them while I'm doing something else on the ranch.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mke / Tx:
Gatogordo,

You made a very generous offer and I would have loved to have come up with my grandson simply to visit if nothing else. Post count is too low, and like you I have been so busy tending to things on our place, I would have felt guilty the whole time about not getting things done that needed be.

I know about those hogs with the PHD as well. We have graduated several classes at our place and my friends place also. Sorry those folks had to head back with empty coolers, but thats why it is called hunting and not shooting. It still makes for a good trip anyhow, and they did get to see some new country as well.

Good luck to anyone else who heads out.

Mike:

If your grandson is old enough to hunt, give me a small amount of notice and come visit. It's starting to get cool enough that we can BBQ except for the damn mosquitos, so until it cools off or drys up, we're trying to eat earlier than normal. This time we had a fish fry for the Mississippi guys. Where are you in Texas?

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW I hope jeffs and his son are OK, they left here mid-day Sunday and I haven't heard from them, nor has Jeff posted on AR.

xxxxxxxxxx

posted Hide Post
Gatogordo,

I am jeffs son, and just wanted to tell you how much fun him and I had together at your beautiful place! We were beaten by your pigs, but far from defeated. Anytime me and my father get to spend together away... is good time!! There was more pig sign than I have ever seen. The mosquitos did defeat me, as about a little after dark I could no longer take it!
Again I would like to thank you for your generous offer, and the chance to hunt a new place, and meet some very VERY nice people.

Also anyone that is in question about the food... question answered... It was fantastic!!

Shanklez

Posts: 7 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: 13 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey fellas,

Sorry I'm so late posting this but it has been wild around here. We have been busier than usual at work and home. I've had a cold and been nursing it as well. Here is a breif recap of the trip.

My son and I arrived at Gato's place mid afternoon on Friday and got a quick tour. We then went back to set up our tent and get squared away. Since we didn't have a whole lot of time to scout, we sat over two feeders till dark. No hogs Frowner On Sat morning we got up early and walked around to hunt/scout. Hog sign everywhere. Some big hog sign too. Looked very promising. No hogs once again. Looks like these critters are pretty sharp. We decided to bass fish for a while, My son caught a couple of pretty nice ones and I caught one that would have weighed around 7 or 8 pounds but was a little thin in the gut. The fish were a very pretty dark color. Saturday afternoon as everyone was getting ready for a fish fry, we met some good folks, they were what I would call good sturdy people. There were hunting/shooting stories around the fire. The food was excellent, the homeade cobbler was my favorite. A good time was had by all. I went and sat on a stand until dark. No luck again. When I got back my son was having a ball talking to some of the guys around the fire. After everyone left, we rode the four wheeler around and I sat in a stand over a feeder for a while. It was close to midnight by then and I was having a little trouble staying awake. Not as young as I once was. Went to bed and slept in a little on Sunday morning.

We left about midday on Sunday and had an uneventful drive home. Even though we didn't fire a shot we enjoyed the trip. Got to meet some good folks, enjoyed their fellowship, and explored some new country. Once again, thanks Gato and we had a great time. Big Grin
Jeff

No people in history have ever
survived who thought they could protect their freedom by making themselves
inoffensive to their enemies.

Posts: 1689 | Location: North MS U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote