New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why so much bullshit??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I really can't stand it when people start talking and bullshiting about pigs...

Just pisses me off that whenever pigs are concerned, people feel they can shoot shit and no one will second guess them, no, to the contrary...

Why do pigs always have to be BIGGER MEANER TOUGER ANGRIER FASTER BULLET PROOF WALK ON WATER AND SHIT VANILLA ICE CREAM?

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why do pigs always have to be BIGGER MEANER TOUGER ANGRIER FASTER BULLET PROOF WALK ON WATER AND SHIT VANILLA ICE CREAM?

Cause some of them are.

Posts: 499 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Express ,
Did you ever end up doing the trip through the Kimberleys that we discussed ?
Have found out that there are pigs along the Fitzroy River near Derby if you are still interested . Would need to approach a station owner though . Don't know anyone up there myself .

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Don't know Express. I do all of my pig hunting with "underpowered" calibres such as the 6.5x55 and 8x57. Let me throw something out there. A 140gr (or 120gr) bullet from a 6.5 will kill any pig in the world. Hit it as you normaly would, heart/lung/shoulder and no worries. I've never tried to hit one under one ear so can't comment on that Wink I've hit em on the run up the arse and have still dropped them. Now before every body jumps up and down about a texas heart shot, some times thats the only shot you get along the NT creeks.

You don't need a .338 or bigger BUT if that floats your boat then why not. A shot gun slug at close range will flatten any pig. The sheild is tough but not bullet proof.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 8047 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cheers Bushchook, I am still interested, that trip it planned for 2006, as close to the wet as sensible for travelling around those parts of of the country. If you gave any info on names of stations up that way, I'd be just so grateful. At the moment we are tossing up whether to go from Darwin and head west, or east. It's the diving and availability of a boat that will be the deciding factor.

Bakes, mate you ought to be ashamed of yaself! Just a pissy 6.5 for pigs I say H.A.W.G.? Yeah I know it doesn't take anything particular to drop em, seen a lot dropped with a lung shot from .22-250's and the like too. Most pigs people are shooting are probably around an average weight of say 30 - 50kg, 60lb - 100lb. For that much beast, a centerfire .22 or 6mm will do the trick just fine. If you brain them, well, DUH! they will drop with a .22lr. All of them, just like a 1500lb bull will.
Somewhere along the line they seem to grow into 500lb, unstoppable choping monsters, usually after they are dead.

Boars shields are so tough...they can blunten my skinning knives!

I'd like to see people come up with the same cock n bull talking about "lions and tigers and bears(Oh my!) or buffalo...

Sorry for the rant; This subject is my pet hate, I just wish more people would "keep it real" (Ali G, Philosopher)

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mama mia!!!! shit vanilla ice cream !!!!! i want a pig like that in my back yard save me buying the shit [i mean ice cream]Roy Chapman Andrews used a [who Indiana Jones was supposedly based on] a Mannlicher Schoenauer 6.5 for pigs in China said ,this ''gun wasnt up to the task for these big chinese pigs''naaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh well

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EXPRESS:
I really can't stand it when people start talking and bullshiting about pigs...

Just pisses me off that whenever pigs are concerned, people feel they can shoot shit and no one will second guess them, no, to the contrary...

EXPRESS,

My toughest pig, amazing what a 492 Lbs Boar can accomplish, the darn pig charged and killed my neighbor’s horse and dog. I went for him and shot him with my 375 H&H – 300 Grain TBCC Federal HE. Mind you, I hit him 9 times before he goes down, a real monster, talking about a tough SOB a darn enraged Rhino no less. The strange thing about this whole story tho is that I left the house only with 1 cartridge, in my excitement to nail the monster I forgot the rest of my ammo at home. bewildered

Imagination has no limitation. Wink
Roland

One of Us
Picture of Fenring
posted Hide Post
I'm with Bakes. My Swede and .44 Ruger have never let me down. And I've yet to see a hog chuck off 3 or 4 40 odd kilo dogs.

Fast hairy dogs ROOL!

Posts: 131 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 15 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the BS is called "advertising."

Not too many years ago a hog was just a pest, and farmers, ranchers, and station owners in most countries would probably have had to pay you to hunt them.

Now that hogs are one of the toughest and hardest to kill animals on earth, you have to pay a fee to shoot them...

rgp

Posts: 32 | Location: tx & vic | Registered: 09 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why so much bullshit?

Dude, you're on the internet.

Posts: 117 | Location: MONTANA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
roflmao
I'm with you Express !!
Some people talk about the pig shield as if it is made of steel !!! Big Grin

Pigs are one of my favourite game animals !!!
God Save the Wild Boar !!!
L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fenring
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rancho Loco:
Why so much bullshit?

Dude, you're on the internet.

clap

Fast hairy dogs ROOL!

Posts: 131 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 15 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FWIW Ive seen boars shake off a number of dogs and kill them as well.

Aloha!!!

Hunting its not a Hobby its My Way of Life!!!

Posts: 449 | Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
I remember a time when the average Aussie pig rifle was a .243, a .22/250 or a .222. Sometimes even a .22 Mag.

And they came home after killing a hundred or two.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not sure why so much bullshit, but I think some have hit all around the answer(s). I have killed hogs with everything from a wooden fence post to the 22 long rifle to a 30-06 and have never found them hard to kill if hit right. My hunting buddy once killed one with a small folding pocket knife (although it had been knocked unconscious first, then woke up while he was whittling on it). I have heard of cases where lives were lost from a feral hog, but I have heard of cases where lives were lost by falling off a stool. They ARE a wild animal, but should be treated no differently then any other wild animal; when cornered they will protest loudly animately to the best if their ability. Maybe its because they just look plain mean. Or someone has an overactive immagination. I do like persuing them, they provide some good eating and entertainment.

Good luck and good shooting,

Eterry

Good luck and good shooting.
In Memory of Officer Nik Green, #198, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop G...Murdered in the line of duty 12-26-03...A Good Man, A Good Officer, and A Good Friend gone too soon

Posts: 849 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TomFromTheShade
posted Hide Post
I've never met a hog that didn't have sense enough to die after taking a few rounds from the old 45.

- TomFromTheShade -

Make it a point in life to leave this world a little better off than it was before you came into it.

Posts: 81 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 25 October 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Eterry hit the nail on the head -- Ëif hit rightË-- like any animal, a bad shot won't put them down and they will run....... They are pretty resilient animals in my opinion. I generally hunt them with large caliber rifles, because that is pretty much all I own. Is my .458 Lott necessary? By no means, but it is fun to hunt with! I did shoot a 200 lb hog once with my .416 Remington, and the 400 grain Hawk Deadsoft bullet shredded the heart, took the lungs and blew a fist sized hole through the rib cage upon exit .. it still managed to run 50 yards and it was very dead when we found it in the brush. They are pretty tough animals even when fatally wounded. Are they like adrenaline pumped cape buffalo? In a word, no.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of foxfire
posted Hide Post
Last year my son shot a hog with a 35 Remington. He hit him high on the shoulder and knocked him down. He fell and got up and fell and got up took off and was never seen again.
This year he hit a boar with a .308 using Federals 170 grain low recoil loads. We were up higher than the boar. He shot entering high behind the shoulder and spine and exited through the lungs and heart stopping on the skin of the off side (perfect mushroomed bullet). He ran about 50 feet and fell over dead. It's all in where you put the shot.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Posts: 359 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
hawg huntin with a knife..
http://www.affordablehoghunts.com/

better then quishin puppy's with yer bare feet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know, I do not feel that hogs are fire snorting man eaters, but I for one love the idea of using too much gun just for the sake of using too much gun. No more, no less. So what if I can only shoot my rifle at the range 8 or 9 times at the range before I get sore? The shot placement thing is a good point too...

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Gixxer, couldn't agree more. I like getting as close as possible and hitting it with too much gun! Why? Simply because it's fun, and that's good enough for me!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EXPRESS:

If pigs really shat vanilla ice cream, I dont think I would shoot em. Me likey vanilla ice cream, especially with walnuts and maple syrup!!

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If pigs really shat vanilla ice cream, I dont think I would shoot em. Me likey vanilla ice cream, especially with walnuts and maple syrup!![/QUOTE]

oh Jeez!! clap clap Big Grin

One shot..meat! Two shots...maybe...Three shots...heap shit! - Old Indian adage

Posts: 137 | Location: Pune, IN | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
Pretty Funny---I have shot more pigs than I can remember at night using the SR 15 and 55gr fmj's! Just get close to one of the tanks where they wallow and come over the top—from between 50 and 75 yards a couple of shots behind and in the area just below the shoulder has brought down every one I have ever shot! Now at extended range I like to use my AI AWM in 338 Lapua (275-600 yds from our tower at the ranch)—I have had a couple run as far as 200 yards but the post mortem showed that the 250 gr did its job but my shooting ability was lacking in the shot placement!

Those feral hogs are tough and even tougher to get rid of----they screw up everything they touch!
gunsmile

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A girl I remember once showed up at her dad's farm one night, and thought one of his hogs was loose...she herded the overgrown boar into a pen. It turned out to be a rather large feral hog and she herded it just the same as if it was domestic, although she said he had a bad attitude. Knowing her I wouldn't be surprised if she had a nastier attitude and broke her foot off in the hog's ass.

I've tended to shoot them mostly with handguns chambered in .22 Magnum (CCI FMJ's) and .45 Colt (reloads w/255 gr SWC's at maybe 900-950 fps). I've also used them as an excuse to practice with my .375 H&H.

Still I think the tough bit is marketing, because back when any farm kid could whack one in the head with a .22, they were just pests and nobody wanted to pay a fee to hunt one.
The tougher the reputation gets, the more people will pay to hunt them. The urban rednecks believe it and think they whacked something tough.

And regarding hogs (or anything else) attacking a bunch of dogs that have chased it a long way, NO KIDDING...that is just an animal trying to defend itself when it can't escape.

Richard.

Posts: 32 | Location: tx & vic | Registered: 09 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by rgp:
A girl I remember once showed up at her dad's farm one night, and thought one of his hogs was loose...she herded the overgrown boar into a pen. It turned out to be a rather large feral hog and she herded it just the same as if it was domestic, although she said he had a bad attitude. Knowing her I wouldn't be surprised if she had a nastier attitude and broke her foot off in the hog's ass.

I've tended to shoot them mostly with handguns chambered in .22 Magnum (CCI FMJ's) and .45 Colt (reloads w/255 gr SWC's at maybe 900-950 fps). I've also used them as an excuse to practice with my .375 H&H.

Still I think the tough bit is marketing, because back when any farm kid could whack one in the head with a .22, they were just pests and nobody wanted to pay a fee to hunt one.
The tougher the reputation gets, the more people will pay to hunt them. The urban rednecks believe it and think they whacked something tough.

quote:
And regarding hogs (or anything else) attacking a bunch of dogs that have chased it a long way, NO KIDDING...that is just an animal trying to defend itself when it can't escape.

Richard.

Well hope the quote thing works. Anyways RGP, Not sure if this statement was aimed at what I said or not but I ususally stay out of these debates but will say something here. If talking about just shooting a hog then thats that but shooting one after his adrenaline is pumped fighting the dogs etc. is a different story especially where we hunt in the forest where your shot is measured in inches not feet and being that there that close to you unless you hit head or spine shots they are on your ass in no time. And alot of times you dont have the luxury of picking your shot its a split second thing. I have friends that have many scars to prove this fact hell my boyfriend is covered in scars but its his choice its how he chooses to hunt boars with knife and his dogs. Sorry for the long post I have said my peace on the subject.

Aloha!!!

Hunting its not a Hobby its My Way of Life!!!

Posts: 449 | Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sitting here at lunch, I strolled all the way through this thread and it seems like the common demoninator is that wild boar have been killed with everything imaginable and will continue to be. Let's look back over the past say 10 years. Every gun manufacturer, every bullet maker, every archery supplier, every clothing maker, etc. that wants to get their newest product on the market, gets some gun crank writer, AKA advetising prostitute to go to Texas and kill a pig. There are at least 2,000,000 feral hogs in Texas alone. Kills are gauranteed. Weather for filming is just fine. Time from beginning of hunt to successful harvest is short. Hunting lodges get good press and subsequently prices for the "hunts" goes up. The illustrious writers tell the same old stories spiced with a little red journalsim like, "Yep, there we wuz, just me and that crazed varmit with blood in his eye. BUT, that new louden bangin shootzin boomin killed him D E D dead just in the nick of time. I recommend you buy this stuff and book a hunt with Need More Land and Cattle Company. They's got lots uf hawgs and the food is real gud." Come on guys, bullshit it is, but we all follow along. It doesn't detract from the fun of hunting them according to your own ehtics. I've killed them with a 300 H&H, a .22LR and a 14 bore muzzleloader and enjoyed everyone of them.
A walk about through the Kimberlys, huh? Now that sounds like a real hunt!

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
There has always been and always will be hunters who embellish their hunting stories. In addition, it is not only limited to people who hunt boars. There always will be hunters who stretch the truth on how far or close the shot really was, the size of the animal and how many of them they have killed.

But make no mistake about it, anytime you hunt a true wild boar over 300lbs who has the opportunity to build up a rather thick shield over the years from fighting - they can be a very worthy adversary. Pound for pound, they can be one of the toughest. However a well constructed bullet in a decent caliber, placed in the right area will bring one down pretty easy - just like it would any other animal. But because their vitals are more forward and well protected, and if you fail to get a spine or heart shot, they can travel a long ways before they expire - even with a lung shot. In addition, they don't bleed as profusely as other animals because of their fat layers. Remember, I'm referring to animals over 300lbs, not some 125lb meat hog.

How tough can they be to penetrate - here is an example. I use an 82lb Bowtech Patriot (aggressive cam) and shoot a custom made arrow which was Beman's version of the Easton Axis. The arrow weighed 875 grains and had a special 210gr african series broadhead head on it. This combination more than meets the minimum requirements to hunt cape buffalo and will easily bury the arrow either up to the fletchings or a near pass thru on a cape. However, I recently shot a feral hog that weighed 450lbs and hit him directly in the shield. The animal had a thick layer of fat and thick shield which resulted in only about 14 inches of penetration and that's no b.s.

Posts: 12 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 19 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I think it all has to do with how you decide to hunt them. I've killed an awful lot of them from ambush with a .223 on up to 270. I didn't have a big bore back in the day and probably wouldn't have wasted a bullet that expensive if I did.

But if you hunt them on a dark night on foot alone your mind suddenly turns them into bad-ass grizzly hogs.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i've taken hogs with 22lr to 550 express, and just about everything (except 270, oddly enough) in between.

the ones that seem to work best are the ones you shoot well.. if you put a 510 wells in the dirt, the pig will run off.. but a 223 between ear and eye, they fall right down..

one thing i find is hat some folks that think pigs aren't tough, in that "all" their shots either drop the hog or they missed...

well, having been the guy on hand and knees, with pistol and flashlight to follow up on "missed" hogs... most of the time a fella thinks he "missed" a hog, he damn well DID hit it.. and the buzzards or I will prove it

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39680 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote