Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Dedicated Pig Gun
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Calif Hunter
in general you are right. In 80-90% of all shots the .308 calibers will do fine. But even with the 180 Grand Slams and "X" I tried, there happen cases, where the hogs don`t die on the spot. And even with no recovered bullet of those (100% exits) if shooting at night, sometimes it is VERY difficult to find the place where the hog was standing, e.g. in tall grass. The fat of the hogs quickly closes entry and exit wounds and that makes tracking difficult. I`ve seen a hog traveling 1.5 MILES with a exit wound like a fist, an one kidney at the spot it was shot.(poor shot, luckily not from me...) They are really tough critters, so you can`t expect an instant death, even with premium bullets!
With my 45-70 I saw them dying as quickly as with .308 cal premium bullets, but if they still run (max 50 yds) you can track them very easily. The soft 400 grs Speer will expand to double diameter and keeps >90% of its weight, so tissue damage is much more than even with premium .308`s! I used my 30-06 for more than 12 years, but now I sold it. For my kind of hunting the (handloaded!) 45-70 is perfect. However your milage may vary...

Greetings

Wolfgang

Posts: 33 | Location: Germany | Registered: 16 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can't go wrong with the 308win and 150gr sp, standard pig medicine, works a trat and you can shoot it all day.

cheers 338w

Posts: 57 | Location: vic, Aust | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote