Find
Notify
Tools

my wife's hog from 11/23, public land, east Texas
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Troy Hibbitts
posted
my wife & I hunted Sunday 11/22 through Wednesday 11/25 in Bannister WMA in deep East Texas. We both saw deer, including a couple of legal but young 8 pt bucks (which we elected to pass on - we both have nicer bucks from the area, and plenty of meat from the Mulie I got in NM) in the hopes of seeing something better, but she did connect with this boar early Monday morning. Pork Chops & Sausage!

Shot with a 260 Rem, 120 grain XLC through the front shoulders DRT through and through. Packed out the backstraps and hind quarters (we hunt about a mile into the wilderness there). In fact, in the photo above, she'd already removed the backstraps - she just skinned the hide back off his back, and I laid it back over.

Troy Hibbitts

http://thehibbitts.net/
Brackettville, TX

Posts: 282 | Location: Brackettville, TX | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Congrats to your better half! Succeeding on public land is always a thrill as it is ultra-challenging because the animals know what human presence means and won't tarry for long. Nice going! thumb

And, she bagged the piggie with my favorite bore diameter and with one of my favorite actions. Smiler

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty cool! and looks like nice stalking country too.

Posts: 4242 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Troy Hibbitts
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shankspony:
Pretty cool! and looks like nice stalking country too.

The spot we hunt is extremely thick country. About 20 years ago, pine bark beetles killed all the pines, and various storms in the interim have thinned the trees further. Add to that, Hurricane Rita knocked over quite a few more. So there are a ton of 5-20 year old small trees grown up, and in lots of places its an impenetrable tangle. We try to hunt gaps in the thickets, mostly along streams under mast-producing (acorn & beechnuts) trees. But stalking in the area is a real chancy proposition because its so thick.

Troy Hibbitts

Brackettville, TX

Posts: 282 | Location: Brackettville, TX | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Congrats to both of you!

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
Very nice, she will be proud of that hunt for years! Looks like she pulled it out of the bushes by the ear too, tough woman!

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
If she can cook the pig too, I'd say you're a very blessed man. beer

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats to you both-

Looks like you have lots of fun in ol' Tejas.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Troy,
I met ya'll a year or so ago at the big bore shoot in Julif. I believe your wife was shooting a cz in 9.3 x 62 that day.
I am more impressed and envious with each of your posts. From the perspective of an old fart you are a blessed man.
Best to you and yours in the new year.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Troy Hibbitts
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
Troy,
I met ya'll a year or so ago at the big bore shoot in Julif. I believe your wife was shooting a cz in 9.3 x 62 that day.
I am more impressed and envious with each of your posts. From the perspective of an old fart you are a blessed man.
Best to you and yours in the new year.
GWB

thanks . . . she was shooting my 9,3x62 that day . . . she's since gotten herself a .375 Ruger . . . she killed a buck with it last fall.

Brackettville, TX

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Nicely done -- congrats to your wife. beer

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tactical Hog Control
posted Hide Post
Very Nice

We Don't Fear the Night, WE OWN IT!!

Posts: 69 | Location: Bedias, Texas | Registered: 03 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tell her, well done.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Nice hog!

What did he look like inside?

Trying to figure out what kind of hydrostatic damage that bullet does, I am thinking about using it in my 308.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thenie Meanie
posted Hide Post
Super pig! Well Done!!

“What day is it,?" asked Pooh.
"It's today," squeaked Piglet.
"My favorite day," said Pooh.”

Posts: 63 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2010Reply With Quote