New
Find
Notify
Tools

Back In The Saddle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well, gave it a 10-day rest but had to go sit a spell last night. From my results, I obviously had too much time on my hands. My carefully thought-out plans sort of worked, but my shooting didn't. Since the last two times the hogs had hung up and not come to the feeder, I decided to lay a trail of corn from their trail to a spot 30 yds from my hide, and take the 12-ga with me. Worked like a charm--except for a few things:
1. Too much corn--so the pig didn't come towards me, but stayed 75 yds away. And, I wasn't patient enough to wait for him to come closer.
2. Too dark--couldn't have seen the front bead on the shotgun rib anyway.
3. Could barely see the reticle, but took a shot anyway. After the muzzle flash, watched the hog run off back down the trail. No blood where he was standing, no blood along the trail for 75-100 yds. Either it was a clean miss or the pig had no blood.
4. Oh yes, another possible explanation--new scope, newly zeroed. Back to the range tomorrow afternoon for a quick check.

So--back to my original plans--wait for them to get in the lights at the feeder.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
solar garden lights, wired to the feeders, buddy!
red lens tape if they REALLY don't like the lights

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I have faith in you, dustoffer! Go get 'em!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jeffe--already have the solar lights--but the pigs have been a bit shy about parading through the spotlight lately. And as far as red light--every time I light 'em up with my scope-mounted red light, they take off in a hurry. I think I'm not the only one in the neighborhood who has a red light--

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
dustoffer,

Well, as we know, just being "outhere" is good enough, but from time to time it's nice to bring one down... Wink

Best luck next time thumb

I have not been doing any hunting for several weeks, next friday is full moon but the weather down here right now is clowdy and rainy. I hope that maybe for friday it will be clear again so I can give those pigs a try.

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo--I am so disappointed. Wanted to go sit and enjoy the cool evening, but it was raining as I drove to the ranch, so I turned around and came back home!!!

Oh well, I'll be back in the saddle on Sunday evening, and the pigs had better watch out--the .25-06 is going hunting!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I was back in the saddle last night, and all I got was saddle sores!!

Great evening, calm, no bugs, near full moon, knee wasn't hurting---everything just right except Mr. Pork Chops must have partied all day and was staying home. Sat from 8 until 12 and nothing showed.

I'll be back on Friday.

one of us
Picture of gas57
posted Hide Post
Solution-
TAM-14 or
D-740
IR Illuminator
You can get within 20 yards of the hogs! You see them, they do not see you and fresh pork!!!
http://www.ar15.com/forums/top...ml?b=6&f=18&t=286475

Posts: 903 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep-but then I'd have to walk about to find them--being old and lazy, I prefer to sit and let them come to me. Big Grin

This is the first time in several sits that I haven't seen hogs--but they'll be back. I think it was the Labor Day weekend--they were out of the county visiting relatives.

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dustoffer:
Yep-but then I'd have to walk about to find them--being old and lazy, I prefer to sit and let them come to me. Big Grin

Ahh, welcome to my club, nothing like being a proud lazy hunter Big Grin

I love leaving all the walking to them Big Grin

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote