New
Find
Notify
Tools

Daughters First Hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A few weeks ago I had the great fortune to take my youngest daughter out pig hunting. she had been bothering me for sometime but for some reason or another was not able to go. Finally it happened and off we went. Met the guys loaded up the dogs and headed out. The first few hours were uneventful but she and my son stayed alert and excited. The dogs had been gone for awhile when my buddy called on the radio that he heard a dog bark near where he was. So the three of us headed in his direction a few minutes later he indicated there was an all out scrap going on so we stepped it up. By the time we could hear the battle it was pretty much over as he did the honors of giving that one the blade. It was a nice sow close too a hundred pounds dressed. But only 2 dogs had this one so we knew the other dogs were still after something. We quickly deboned the sow and tracked the dogs deeper in the valley. Our other buddys were already up that way so we quicly headed towards them. Just as we got almost to them we heard a dog bark off to our left and some action like the dog tried jumping the hog. I told my kids lets go they sound like theyre heading in. As we rounded the bend I looked up and and seen this pig running toward us and past a buddy of mine. He made the mistake of running into my bulldog who is what we call an anchor. Once he grabs the pig its over and my daughter got to see all the action of the dogs and the boar doing battle and this made her go nuts. I was very happy I got to share this moment with my son and daughter GOTTA LOVE IT!!! Below is a pic of from L-R My daughter Harmony,Myself and my son Hunter.

Hopefully they too one day will be doing the same with thier children. Hunting hogs with dog and knife.

Aloha,

Dom

Hunting its not a Hobby its My Way of Life!!!

Posts: 449 | Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Dom!! You must be a very proud father!! IMHO you are raising your children right by exposing them to hunting and nature in general. Good job!

Where on Oahu do you hunt?

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aloha Whitworth,

Thanks for the kind words. I hunt all over Oahu as you would imagine but mostly in the Tripler/Moanalua Area at this point.

Take Care,

Dom

Posts: 449 | Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
UltraMag

Congratulations to you and your kids.

Also I applaude you for getting your kids involved in hunting. They are the future of our sport.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of greghud
posted Hide Post
thats a great photo! all look very happy.
congratulations. beer
i hope to be able to do the same with my kids when there older.
thanks for posting.
greg

Posts: 383 | Location: top end oz | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Unit5A
posted Hide Post
Hey, nice story and some great looking kids. Not a bad pig either, ha ha.
My daughter hunts too, and I will be going with her shortly for deer and fall turkey. I'll be with my two boys for Elk later as well.
It's good that your kids are into hunting while young.
Take care.

"Hunt smart, know your target and beyond"

Posts: 394 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 20 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Looks like fun was had all around!

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on that hunt. Great photo, good to see children spending time hunting with Dad.
Thanks for sharing,
Jeff

No people in history have ever
survived who thought they could protect their freedom by making themselves
inoffensive to their enemies.

Posts: 1689 | Location: North MS U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
WTG Dom! Congrats to your daughter. Many more great hunts together! David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6825 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aloha All,

Thanks everyone for the very kind words it is such a great pleasure for me to share this with my children. I have been hunting boar since I was a baby my dad used to carry me in a homemade backpack and I stabbed my first boar at the age of 4 thats how it is in my family but my ex wife would not allow me to take the kids hunting this was such a burden on me. But after we divorced and the kids got older they made the decision that THEY WANTED TO GO! So I wasnt about to stand in thier way and surprisingly thier Mom FINALLY let them go. They LOVE IT!!! Hopefully it continues with them as it has for me Only time will tell.

Much Thanks and Aloha!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mahalo brah, good looking kids you have there. You know you've got hunting partners for life. Good hunting.

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way cool! I dream of one day having my baby girl go hunting with me! She loves to be reloading with me. I hope it's a good sign!!

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Congratulations .All my family hunts too ,my son killed many hogs and he loves his dogos .Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aloha Doms,

I don't know how I've missed this post....

I guess I was busy on my last hunting trip or something...

What a GREAT STORY and AWESOME HUNT...

But what an incredible time you all shared...

I can see it in all of your eyes....

This picture is VERY TOUCHING, I can see the excitement and thrill in all your faces....

Congratulations to you all, my brother!

God Bless,

Ro

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aloha Guys,

Thanks again for all the kind words and encouragment it has been a true blessing to have them hunt with me no doubt!!!

366- Im sure you got a future hunting partner there buddy if she likes to reload thats justa huge BONUS...LOL!!!

Juan- It would be a great pleasure to hunt with you although I have never met you. I can tell just from what I read here we are brothers at heart. Wish you and your dogo's all the best in your future hunts.

Bradda Ro- No worries my bradda its all good but yeah it was a blessing. I hope evry Dad who hunts has the great pleasure to share the great outdoors with thier children AT LEAST ONCE but hopefully more. Much success to you my man as you dive deeper into this awesome lifestyle Smiler

Alohaz,
Dom

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bradda Ro, here's a short poem I wrote awhile back while reflecting on one of our best dogs death.

My main dogs scurry up da mountain side
The Boar lays still trying to hide
One bark and the battle is on
Cant believe the scene Ive come upon
Dogs are shredded from head to toe
Doing battle with their Warrior foe
History is filled with Legends galore
Of our Deadly game the Wild Boar
I rush in fast gotta settle the score
Give 'um da blade watch the blood pour
Made a good hit right in the heart
Then I realize thats the easy part
The pack is ahead and my best dogs dead
YUP, U KNOW IM MOUNTING HIS HEAD!!!

Aloha,
Dom

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by UltraMag:
Bradda Ro, here's a short poem I wrote awhile back while reflecting on one of our best dogs death.

My main dogs scurry up da mountain side
The Boar lays still trying to hide
One bark and the battle is on
Cant believe the scene Ive come upon
Dogs are shredded from head to toe
Doing battle with their Warrior foe
History is filled with Legends galore
Of our Deadly game the Wild Boar
I rush in fast gotta settle the score
Give 'um da blade watch the blood pour
Made a good hit right in the heart
Then I realize thats the easy part
The pack is ahead and my best dogs dead
YUP, U KNOW IM MOUNTING HIS HEAD!!!

Aloha,
Dom

Bradda Dom,

That must have been a tough time for you...

You know I don't hunt with dogs but I have had good dogs practically my whole life. They truly are man's best friend...

You have hunted these boars with dogs and knife from when you were a young child and you have seen these incredible battles.

I couldn't even imagine the pain and excruciating loss you feel after losing a GLADIATOR of a dog. A dog who puts himself on the line every time he goes into the field...A dog that has done battle for you is a very special, special dog.

When you lose that really special one, its really difficult to accept...No matter what, that special dog can never be replaced and his/her attributes never compared...

I offer my condolences at this difficult time...

Thank you for sharing your heart,

and GOD BLESS YOU,

Ro

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Howzit Bradda Ro,

Tahnks for the good words my Bradda yeah that was awhile ago not recently but you always as a dog hunter reflect on those dogs and the memories that youve shared with them.

The really sad thing is that until recently ive never really carried a camera so alot of dogs are just pics and memories in my mind so I now try to get pics of our dogs bcuz u just never know.

Yeah thru all the years ive seen UNBELIEVABLE battles first hand between our dogs and hogs and been on the receiving end myself as well.

But its that very rush that drives me and although ive been called a liar by some when I share the things ive seen over the years but I dont blame them bcuz if I didnt see it I wouldnt have believed it either...LOL!

Aloha my Bradda and I talk to you bumbye,

Dom

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
A good looking pair of kids, DOM!
There is an old saying that I find to be very true, that goes like this:

"Hunt with your kids, and you won't have to hunt your kids!"

Congratulations on the hog, and the kids as well! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aloha MacD,

Mahalo (Thank You) for your very true words!!!

I take it to heart and hope and Pray that they'll begin to grow to love the sport as I do. So that it becomes something they love as well and not only because of me type of thing.

Aloha,

Dom

one of us
Picture of Hawaiian_Hunter
posted Hide Post
Aloha Dom, Great story and great pic, good to see you keeping the family traditions alive. Good looking kids you have. You a Castle grad? I was raised Kailua right next door but practically grew up at Heeia Kea where my dad kept his boat during the '60s and early '70s there almost every weekend trolling for papio in the bay, poking Kole and Manini at Kekepa Island, and picking limu at Waikane and Kualoa, this was before Ernie Choy days. Hunted a couple times in Waiahole Valley and Kahana. When I visit my parents (they both passed away this year) in Kailua I go to Ho'omaluhia to chill out and I see plenty pigs there in broad daylight, trying to figure out how to get permission to hunt in there. Anyway, thanks for sharing and good luck on all future hunts.
A hui hou, Ji

ILLEGITIMUS NON CARBORUNDUM

Posts: 158 | Location: Moku Manu, Hawai'i | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Howzit Bradda Ji,

Mahalo's my bradda! About your question concerning Castle well ALMOST...LOL!!! Went Kahalu'u Elem then King Inter then Castle but left middle of freshman year. My Dad got transferred to Waialua yard so we moved I ended up graduating from Waialua.

Like yourself I kinda grew up in the bay as well there pretty much every weekend on sundays diving for tako. It was religious for us hunt Sat. dive Sun. Yeah not sure about now but some donkeys really messed up the limu at Waikane and Kualoa instead of snipping they would just pull everything DISGUSTING I tell you!!! Yeah stabbed my first pig in Waiahole when I was 4 and hunted Kahana religiously as well. Mostly hunted Waiahole,Waikane,Kualoa,Kahana and the summit when I was younger but not recently.

Yeah talked to them about the pigs @ Ho'omaluhia better known to us guys as "Banana Patch" they said they had guys doing it but didnt seem that they were doing a good job...LOL!!!

Well take it easy my bradda and I talk to you latahz.

Aloha,

Dom

one of us
posted Hide Post
Aloha Dom,

I was glad to have found your post. Outstanding pic and story. It the best way to preserve your good "hunting genes" in your future grandchildren.

Thanks for sharing, especially your poem.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 622 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote