Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 45/70 for Hogs
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of LUIS
posted
I had a chance to shoot a piggy with my 45/70(T/C contender 12" barrel). I use Rem core lock 300 grain (The only thing I can handle ) The shot was about 75 yards to a 150+ hog and it look like was hit with a sledge hammer he fell on his track. The bullet enter just behind the front leg and on the right side and broke the left shoulder, he didn't had the chance to squill. I think that the 45/70 is up to the task, and yes the 500 will do a much better job at 50 yds.

Posts: 162 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 16 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 300 gr bullet weights work well for pigs in the 45/70 even though I am partialo to the heavier stuff.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It depends on what you are hunting in. If the area is relatively open the lighter bullets are the choice. If it is in really thick stuff ( which I prefer) then the heavier bullets are the answer.

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone have any experience with the Winchester 300 grain Partition Golds against large (200+ lb) boars? I've only used it once so far but the boar was small (~70 lbs). Thx.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
300 gr hornady hps and 350 rn... the 300 gr hp's aren't any tougher than the rem 405, and the 350 is a fine bullet..

just my 2 cents
jeffe

Posts: 38510 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I kind of like those 350s myself. As a matter of fact, the brown truck just brought several thousand of them to the house today. Probaly a lifetime supply, but I hope not.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My prefered caliber for boar. Bullets of 400 grs at 1800-2000 fps won`t dissapoint you. They usually kill quick or leave a good blood trail to follow. The Speer is a bit on the soft side, but if the 1" mushroom (>90% weight retention) does not exit, you don`t need to follow any longer that boar The Remingtons seem to be harder than the Speers, but I don`t use any longer the 300 grs class. They tumble in the body and I was not very satisfied with them on the bigger pigs. Had no opportunity to try the Noslers or the 350 grs Hornady flats. No good accuracy (3" at 110 yds!) with Barnes 300 XFN.

Greetings

Wolfgang

Posts: 33 | Location: Germany | Registered: 16 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree totally with what woli has stated...the 300 gr are bullets I have moved away from due to being a little to expansive although everthing I have shot has died I prefer the bullet not to lose it's core..which the sierra 300 gr HPFN does.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote