New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dang! Dang! Dang! The One That Got Away
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Great night--went to the close spot and all I saw were turkeys. Guess they were keeping the pigs away?

Then at dark, went out to the main place, got settled in my chair about 8:45. South wind, direct in my face from the feeder to me. 1st quarter moon but 90% cloud cover. Still light enough to see in the pasture. Feeder spins, and I get ready--nothing. About 55 minutes later, I catch movement from over my left shoulder--something dark. First impression was that it was a small bear--but when I got the binocs on it--a big boar with some nice teeth, about 25 yds away. Went straight to the feeder and got his picture made, then went in the pen to eat. I got all set up, but was impatient and didn't wait for a good broadside shot, tried to shoot him behind the ear quartering away. Bam--hog's gone, and then I hear him hitting the wire going out of the pasture. Oh well--they'll be back, and I'll be back Thursday night!

And, here's another picture I got at the same feeder.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry you missed the hog, but they will always be back. That camera takes great pictures.

Posts: 203 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That sucks!!

But he will be back

In the meantime howbout some fried turkey breast? Big Grin

Posts: 221 | Location: florida big bend | Registered: 14 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Turkey Season just around the corner!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dat's a nice piggy - he's not going anywhere next time!

"Shoot hard, boys."

Posts: 115 | Location: Duluth, MN | Registered: 17 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's another pic of the same hog--taken 5 days earlier-and I just happen to have tomorrow night "off" and should have great moonlight, so it's back to the hideout.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Here's hoping he returns for you tonight. I'll be anxiously awaiting the photos! Big Grin

A few years ago, I had a big gray boar (that color phase is rare around here) give me the slip several times, including when I thought I had him dead to rights and instead had a huisache that I never saw deflect the 140 grain Speer from a 6.5-06.

He dropped out of sight at the shot, and I figured he must be piled up right there as the gun was extremely accurate, my rest was fairly solid and the range probably a shade under 200 yards. But there was no hair, no blood, no signs of a hit -- and no hog despite staying on the trail for some time.

When I went back, I saw sunlight glimmering off a bright spot, which turned out to be the neatly-clipped huisache limb that I managed to put the bullet through.

But a few weeks later, I got a second chance when I intercepted him en route to a sugar cane patch. This time, the results were different, and it certainly was satisfying to put that 140 grain Speer where he lived and watch him drop like a sack of potatoes. Big Grin

Because of some physical limitations, I have not been able to truly "hunt" for hogs in a while now, so I am living it through the stories and photos you guys are posting.

Please keep them coming. It's something I always look forward to...

Bobby

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobby (and others too)--you'll have to wait until tomorrow, as I spent the afternoon helping a buddy install a storm door, shooting the bull, and talking over old times on the lease in LaSalle County, so no hunt tonight. Wife decided I'd had enough time away from home for one day. Wink Never fear however, tomorrow night's weather looks better (fewer clouds and brighter moon) and I'll be in the saddle then. Full report to follow.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I'm counting down the hours... Big Grin

Good luck out there,
Bobby

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobby--sorry to disappoint you, but your boar is still roaming the wilds somewhere. I stuck it out as long as I could stay awake, but at 11:10 I called it a night. Back in the saddle Sunday or Monday (0r both).

one of us
posted Hide Post
You might have nicked him, reinforcing his memory.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
rickt3000--I could have pierced his ear, but they generally have gotten much later in arriving on nights with good moonlight, and I only stayed until 11 or so. Be back tomorrow though--and at least one day next week. I owe a buddy some pork chops. Pressure is on.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to hunt hogs by sneaking up on feeders and piles of corn I put out on bright moonlit nights. After a couple of years of this hunting hogs on bright nights got a lot harder. Another thing, in my experience anyway, when the rains bring up the early grass the hogs get a lot less predictable. I should be out on the lease in the middle of next week or the weekend for sure. I use spring to do my raccoon elimination chores, and replant the food plots with hog hunting on the side.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
You are right: that bright moonlight does oftn have them moving much later.

But the good news is that the big boar is fattening up a bit more on the corn... Big Grin

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ