New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Good Night, Part IV
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well, this is getting monotonous, but enjoyable anyway. Got to the hide at 9:50, and the wind was perfect, with moonrise still about 1.5 hrs away. Noticed one of my lights at the feeder was a bit cockeyed, but more on that later. Got the shooting sticks up, water bottle out, red light hooked up, rifle loaded, and settled in. About 10 minutes later I heard the dinner bell (feeder spinning) and got ready--but no one showed up for first call. I nodded off, waking occasionally to check the feeder (no flash as I've moved the game cam to my deer lease) and about :45 later I opened one eye and there was a "different" shadow at the feeder, but hard to see because of the cockeyed light. Put the scope on it and it was a pig, but a bit larger than I've been seeing. Safety off, but no shot other than the "Texas Heart Shot" which isn't a high percentage shot with a .22-250 and ballistic tips. Then the pig ran off--Dang-I hadn't made any noise nor had the winds shifted. Guess it was just goosey. Pig came back in about a minute-I got ready again, same thing happened. Pig did the "here I am-now I'm gone" 3-4 times and I never could see the head clearly enough for a shot as it was always facing away or slightly quartering. Tried the red light, and even when slooooowwwwly moving the light onto the pig, she left as soon as she was illuminated. I settled back into the chair, figuring she was gone for the night but that maybe some others (the ones in the Gut Pile Visitors thread) would show. Well, after about 15 minutes, she was back and gave me the right presentation, and I presented her with 55 grains of smackdown.

All that was left at this point was putting the stuff in the pack, folding up my chair and hanging it back in the tree, and walking to the truck. I walked by the feeder to insure she was expired and then went to the truck. Drove to the feeder and loaded a pregnant sow (Big Grin) that weighed about 140 or so, maybe 150.

Called my church custodian, he met me at Wal Mart for the hand-off, and I was home at midnight.

Sorry-no pictures, forgot the camera.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Nice work, dustoffer! Next time, take your camera!

I would have taken that Texas heart shot -- with my .475 Linebaugh...... Big Grin

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Harold R. Stephens
posted Hide Post
Glad it worked out for you in the end. Patience is a virtue and it usually pays off. Pictures would have made this story sooooooo much better (lol).

Founding member of the 7MM STW club

Member of the Texas Cull Hunters Association

Posts: 512 | Location: Granbury, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Congrats on another successful midnight hunt! thumb

That one 22-250 round you fired took out a number of future piggies and made for some fine eating for your friend.

As to pictures, I can sympathize: Often the camera is the last thing on my mind, particularly if I've decided to go at the last minute.

In fact, if I shoot anything in the next month, there will be no photos as I sent our little digi camera with my wife. She was awarded a research fellowship to Philly. I guess if it's something worthy of a photo, I may have to do it the old-fashioned way: shoot it on film, get it processed and then add some post-hunt phoots. But I've got to put something on the ground before I even think about any of that stuff...Big Grin

Congrats again!

Bobby

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know guys--40 lashes with whatever for not taking the camera, but as Bobby says, getting the water & cold drinks, rifle, pack, shooting sticks, red light, battery--something fell through the crack. Maybe I should buy a cheap digital and just leave it in the truck-or put it in my backpack. Or, why doesn't someone make a scope with a digital camera and rangefinder, plus night-vision capable?

Bobby--with the wife out researching, you should knock down a bunch of them.

This pig was noticeably spooky, lending more credence to my theory that all the ranchers in the area are hostile and shoot on sight. I've never seen a pig get in the middle of a corn pile and leave like this one did, especially with the wind directly in my favor.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
They've been really spooky here too -- moreso than normal. But the crops are about ready in the fields, and around here, it's shoot on sight, so the heat has been turned up quite a bit -- and they seem to know it.

Actually, with the wife gone, my hunting efforts may be minimal. We have 5-year-old twins who are full of fire and eat 'round the clock and a 17 year-old whose mind only works when it's either grub, guns or girls... Big Grin

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobby--well, have fun with the kids, and know you've got a few "kitchen passes" coming when the wife gets home.

And, you left out one of the "g-words" for the 17 y.o.---Gasoline.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I have only seen that one sounder in 6 weeks or so ... they are really skittish

and good on ya!

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems you have a lot of good nights. Sure as hell beats sitting at home.
With the amount of Hog destroying going on is it any wonder the hogs are spooky. I'm getting nervious just taking a ham from my freezer and I'm half way round the world. Big Grin

Posts: 4605 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote