New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which handgun for wild boar
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am going on a wild boar hunt and I am going to use a handgun which caliber would be better I have a 44 mag super redhawk and a 454 super redwawk. Which one would be best for a boar 250 pounds and bigger any comments would also be appreciated.

Question:
Which caliber would you choose to hunt a wild boar with

Choices:
44 magnum

Posts: 201 | Location: MICHIGAN | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I would choose the Casull over the .44 mag simply because it will sling heavier and bigger diameter bullets. I'm in the process of testing some 360 and 400 grain loads in my SRH -- since I am rusty (haven't shot it in a long time), the jury is still out on the accuracy of these loads. Anyhow, the Casull would be my first choice in this case.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I choose the 44 because I have one and can't see any real improvemnt the Casul could provide. I use 240 grain Rainier plated bullets over 10 grains of Universal clays. All the penetration needed and a bit easier to shoot quickly.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Either one will do the job. It depends on how comfortable you are with either one. Just choose the one that you've shot the most and have the most confidence in.

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I agree that one should use the weapon they are most comfortable with and if that is the .44, I would load it heavy as well.......if it's a big hog, I like bigger bullets.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Based on your available handguns, and if you are comfortable with the .454, I would use it.
The bigger the better, these guys can be tough to put down. And if you can get a good shot behind the ear, that's what I would go for.
lefty

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
they realy are not hard to kill just shot placement and enough gun 44 is plenty 45 acp is perfect

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
45 LC or 10mm, whichever I happen to have does good work

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38523 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
The quickest handgun kills I've seen on wild hogs were with a plain jane Ruger Blackhawk in .357 Mag shooting plain jane 158gr lead SWCs. The hogs weren't very big but three for three shots right behind the shoulder and they spun around maybe three or four times and flop!

They were bayed by with Bank's Bottoms Outfitters hounds so the shooting was at about 5 yards max and pretty easy to plunk the bullet right in the pocket. Bank's Bottoms is in OK right where Hwy 35 enters the state from TX.

I was stunned. Up until then, I thought killing a hog required a cannon. The Banks boys even liked .22 Mags!?!

Of course, the bigger the gun, the more fun so count me in for the .454!! (you just don't need it with placement)

Posts: 1141 | Location: Kodiak | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot them with a variety of handguns, but my primiary side arm in the field is my Redhawk in 41mag. Either of the calibers you askd about will work fine but depending on the shots you will need the one you can place your shots accuratly and follow up shots as well. With the 44 we use the Remington 240gr JHP loaded up to top end and it will set a big hog back on it's flanks right now. It makes big holes through shields and has more than enough power to get inside and do the job. It is also much easier to follow up on a second shot than the 454 IMO. I am working with one now and it is definately a powerhouse.

On the lighter end, I prefer the .357 with 158gr JHP's or the 158gr Oregon Trail bullets at top end. Either of these has worked well and recoil is hardly anything.

Mike / Tx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would use the 454 over the 44 mag but I have shot a lot more pigs with the 44 mag. I have a super blackhawk 44 mag Ruger with a bull barrel and have shot a bunch of the tuskers out of my bow stand.... With big pigs, I choose the biggest amount of lead I can throw, especially when I am in the bushes with them. If you can handle the extra recoil and noise,, blast away. drwes

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
I would go with the 44 due to availability of ammo. Either caliber would be fine though.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used a ruger SP 101 3" in 357 mag w/ 158 JHP's and a Smith 4" .41 mag with a 210 Hornady XTP ahead of a max load of H110, both with stellar results on Fla. hawgs...

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ANDY375HH:
I am going on a wild boar hunt and I am going to use a handgun which caliber would be better I have a 44 mag super redhawk and a 454 super redwawk. Which one would be best for a boar 250 pounds and bigger any comments would also be appreciated.

Just about any CF hunting handgun will work fine if you use it within its capabilities. I killed a bunch of hogs with a Colt Woodsman 22 as a kid in FL. All head shots. Even some big ones. Later shot some with Colt gold cup 45ACP & 38 spc S&W 15. I currently use a contender 357 11" barrel with 125 gr XTP's @ 2000 FPS, or a 32-20 contender. Last year, I shot one @80# with a 2.5" Beretta mod 21 pocket 22 while scouting for an archery hunt. One head shot and dropped in it's tracks. Contary to what some will tell you, with good shot placement, pigs are NOT hard to kill. With poor placement, no large animal is easy to put down. That said, I wouldn't recommend a 22 rimfire for a beginning pig hunter, but you sure don't need a "500 hog homogenizer" either Wink.

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input everybody. I talked to the guide where I will be hunting and he said he likes his clients to use a 44 mag just incase a quicker follow up shot is needed. Maybe next time I will take my 454 and nail a hog with it.

Posts: 201 | Location: MICHIGAN | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Well, Andy, whatever you choose, just be sure you are very familiar and comfortable with it. Most importantly have a good time, because that is the bottom line. Make sure that you post pictures and a hunting report afterwards. When are you going?

Semper Fidelis

one of us
posted Hide Post
What you can do also is to take the 454 along and let the guy see you shoot it during the sighting period alongside with your 44mag. As I said before, whatever is the most comfortable to you what you can shoot most accurately.

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My son uses a 480 Ruger... It will do the job.

It gets my vote.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
If .480 Ruger was on the menu, I would have suggested a .480 Ruger -- I had one (it's becoming a .475 Linebaugh right now) and it's a great hog caliber! But, in this case it's between a .454 and a .44 mag..........

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How bout a BFR in 45-70? Oh, and you forgot the 500.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Depende the type of hunt ,if you will wait in a water hole i would choose the 454 if you will hunt with baying dogs running use a SWmountain 44magnum ,if you will hunt in a really but terrain ,swamps etc with ctaching dogs i always use my glock40 with any good hollow point and a kydex holster.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote