New
Find
Notify
Tools

Been a long time
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
October was the last time I shot a pig! They have been hitting the feeder at my place but I call them Dr. Pepper pigs. The old DP bottles had 10, 2 and 4 on them. Add a few more times and that when they were showing up at the feeder! I put corn in the feeders for March but forgot to set the time for both feeders and cameras for daylight saving! Today seemed likely. Changed times at my friend's and headed to my place. Changed time and looked at camera pictures. Seems two sows had been at the feeder between 11 and 12 a couple of days before. It was 10:50. I had the bubba win mag ( whole nother story) loaded with some 180 Cutting Edge bullets. Figured I would hide the truck in the brush and sit in my tower to let things get quite! Two emails came on the phone, one was junk, I read the other. Looked up and a pig was in the feeder! Then was another sow just behind the feeder also. I had the 300 up waiting for a good shot when the first sow must have smell my tracks. She ran and took the other behind a large blue wood brazil. I could see them but not for a good shot. They milled around a bit and one looked my way between to limbs. I put the reticle on her head and touched it off! Dead pig. I did not have my receiver hitch winch so no weight but I guess around a hundred pounds. The bullet did pass through and it dawned on me I did not look for the other. Maybe she broke the ice and they will start to fall again!

upload image website

Posts: 701 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
did good

one of us
posted Hide Post
Live Oak—sounds like my situation—one hog down for me since last Aug-Sep. But things are looking up and I should be knocking them down in the next couple of weeks..

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Great to see the can back at work! beer

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16376 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Nice meater. Yum! Backstraps. My Wife just asked for more hog meat again this week.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5105 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
here I've been wondering if pigs down your way had a die off like pr dogs do.

Good for you,

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We had a VERY good acorn crop this year and a lot of hogs have stayed in the woods eating acorns rather than visiting feeders

Posts: 70 | Location: College Station TX | Registered: 06 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not sure what is going on. At my place they are there just showing up at crazy times! I know a couple of the neighboring places have changed owners. Maybe crazy times are how they are adapting to different hunting pressure. Another thing I have noticed by game camera. When a sow has pigs fewer of them seem to survive. I am wondering if the coyotes have learned to hunt them. I had a picture of a scared up dog coyote with a piglet in his mouth but lost it!
My lights battery went bad at my friend's place. While the lights were out there were pigs at the feeder. New battery and they stopped showing up. A big place across the county road has different hunters. The land owner got tired of deer leasers, booted them and now only lets his ranch hands hunt it. He also lets some one hunt bobcats with dogs on the place. There was not a lot of brush on his place to start with and now he has bulldozed more of it.
At my wife's place they have just stopped showing up. A neighbor has three boys that are hunters!

Posts: 701 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Chilly temps down that way have an effect?

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5105 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote