New
Find
Notify
Tools

This weekend's luck!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well, it’s been about six weeks since I've had the opportunity to get up to my lease. I've kept the lid on by going to the shooting range several times.
Had the chance to go this weekend. My hunting partner got back on a lease after a two year hiatus. His lease is in Rio Frio which is about 20 miles north of Reagan Wells on on Hwy 83 in the Texas Hill country.
I had hoped to get to my place in order to hunt Saturday evening. However it took us till 6pm Sat. eve to get him squared away at his place. We didn't get over to my lease till a little after 8pm, Sat. eve.
It’s six miles in off the road to our place. About 5 miles in we looked off to the right where there is a big hog wallow. Sure enough there were three hogs in the wallow cooling off. The wallow is about 150 yds. off the road . My bud says, you’ve been talking about poppin’ hogs, here’s your chance. I took my Sako 75 varmint in 260 Rem. this trip (it was complaining as it was feeling neglected). Nailed this boar.

Hit him in the usual spot, two inches below the ear. DRT. I guess if I’d stopped to think about it I should have done a heart shot, ‘cause at least that way he wouldn’t have dropped in the muck. He’d have run a way and wouldn’t have been covered in mud. Mud plays hell on a skinning knife.

I was too tired to set up snares Sat. nite. Ended up getting mystified (Jim Beam, Sierra Mist & a lime squeeze) and enjoying a fire and a cigar.

Got up Sun. and went out to my new stand. Had a number of hogs come in and I popped this boar. He wasn’t as near as muddy as his cousin.

I sat for another 30 minutes or so after poppin’ the blond hog, just enjoying the day, the wind and the scenery. As I was getting ready to leave, I looked back out over the valley and some motion caught my eye. Three coyotes were skulking along a path about 150 yds., directly in front of where I was looking. I dropped down on one knee. My stand is about 75’ up on the side of a cliff and I saw them before they saw me. I watched and waited till the lead dog got to about 80 yds. I had put up my shooting sticks in my backpack, so I made an off hand shot on this dog.

Needless to say, I was jazzed, had seen a magnificent hawk, up close, nailed a good eating size hog and got to watch some coyotes working, and even nail one. So, what looked like a bust turned into a pretty good weekend. Oh well, back to reality.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice shootin' GW!! Wish we had done as well with THC.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Nice work as usual, GW! Congrats! beer

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Very nicely done! tu2 tu2

Heck, compared to the first one, that brown boar looks like he'd been showered and brushed down...and ready for the weeeknd.

Of course, I don't think he planned on spending it "hanging" around camp with you guys... jumping

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Congrats GW!!!!!

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nice mixed bag and some good lookin eatin hogs
what time is dinner?

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote