Notify
Tools

Re: My girlfriend's hog from this weekend
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted
Hey TT,

Congrats to both of you!! That is a great hog!! This is one of my favorite times to hunt hogs here for the reasons you stated. The night hunting is good too!! We just have to get them dressed and on ice ASAP and keep ourselves hydrated. I am hosting a group of crazy summer hunters in 4 weeks near Abilene and again in mid-September combined with some dove and predator hunting.

Tell Kristin to keep up the good work. I love the 7mm-08!!

Good Hunting,

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kristin and I did some piggie hunting when we went to my place or origin for a family reunion.

During this time of year in west Texas, pigs can almost always be found during mid-day around water holes. We drove to within 1/4 mile of a big pond, and circled slowly downwind of it, approaching along a well-used hog trail. The mesquite trees/cactus/grass undergrowth was lush and green from recent rains, and we were within 20 or so yards of the herd when the wind shifted, and they exploded away in a chorus of grunts and squeals.

We waited, knowing they would come back to the water, since they hadn't seen us. Soon, several pigs returned, passing very close to us. I told her to get ready to shoot through a small opening and I would tell her when a shooter was coming into her field of view.

A big sow came first, and I wanted to wait for a boar, but I again felt a kiss of wind on the back of my neck, and said, "Shoot her." Kristin's Kimber 7-08 cracked, and I saw a huge wound open up on the side of the hog, which was about 20 yards away.

We waited for the herd to clear out, and tracked the pig about 50 yards before finding it dead.

It probably weighed about 150 lbs. Hog hunting like this in the 100 degree heat of mid-day, with light, fickle winds, in thick bush, has to be the closest you can get to dangerous game hunting in this part of the world. It certainly was exciting!

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Great Story, GREAT Hog!!

nice girl, too!!

jeffe

Posts: 38463 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice big hog! Good job on her part. girls that will hunt with you are keepers. I sure like your hunting partner better than the one I had. :-) any more pics, without the hog :-)

Tell her good job from all of us, if she is a new hunter the encouragement and praise might help to cement her as a lifer. Of course, if she owns a Kimber she probably already has decided she'll keep doing it.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the only trouble I'll ever have is *IF* I ever wanted to go hunting without her...she'd hang me by my toenails...

She's been a dedicated hunter for awhile, and I have to keep my guns locked up so she doesn't make any designs on lifting them.

She's a great hunter, and the best companion I could ask for. I love hunting with her. We'll be in Alaska in Sept for a caribou hunt.

Thanks for the nice words!

one of us
posted Hide Post
great story and pict!!!! Finding a lady who shares the same interests is GREAT! My wife absolutlely refuses to go out hunting with me, hates guns, the whole bit. I still love her to death though.

Where 'bouts in west texas you hunting?

Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
trademark,

if you don't mind, take a bunch of pics on your caribou hunt, it is one of the two dream hunts of my stepfather and I would love to show him some pics.

Thanks!

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We were hunting north of Abilene (between Anson and Hamlin).

I'll certainly take plenty of pictures in Alaska, Red. Ever since I got a digital camera, I usually average 20-100 pictures per day when I'm hunting. There no reason NOT to take tons of pics...

Keep an eye on the "hunting reports" section, and I'll post a report when I get back in late Sept. We'll be doing a drop-hunt in the Malchatna herd area, somewhere between Illiamna and Dillingham.

one of us
Picture of whtailtaker
posted Hide Post
great looking hog- nice to have a hunting partner who is not afraid to stalk and shoot

Posts: 127 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina and Regions West | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote