New
Find
Notify
Tools

September Texas hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been reading this hog forum for years, and soon, I'll be going on my first hog hunt!

The last weekend of September, I'll be traveling with a friend, my cousin, and his son to somewhere in Texas for a 2 day bow hunt! I don't know where we're going, my cousin's friend arranged the trip. For all I know, he could be charging me for Gatogordo's free huntWink

The plan is for two of us to fly to Kansas City, then drive down with the whole group in two trucks. I'm told its 11 hours driving, which doesn't tell me much about where we are going.

My questions; This will be my first time flying with a bow, anybody have any input on a bow case?
What about meat on a plane? If worst comes to worst, I can leave it in my cousin's freezer until I go back for deer season in November or Geese in January (Its gonna be a good year!) I would like to bring some back on the plane. How can I travel with a cooler?

What kind of weather can I expect September 25 in Somewhere, TX? Dumb question I know, without a location, but that's all I know.

If I make no sense, its because I'm super excited. No way will I be concentrating on work. The week after I get back, our archery season starts, goose starts next week, an archery do only special doe hunt starts the week before my trip, and I have access to deer crop damage tags now! It was 49 degrees this morning, Fall is in the air!

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
11 hours? That isn't much--it's at least that far from Houston to El Paso-- Cool

Weather--well, I suspect it will be very warm to hot. Around our parts (San Antonio area), we've had 60 days of triple-digit temps this year, so that gives you an indication. Today was "cool", only 95 or so.

One bit of advice I might give you--if you are hunting in South Tx, in what we refer to as the Brush Country, everything bites, sticks, stings, or scratches (as in wasps, cactus, rattlers, etc) so I'd recommend snake boots and brush chaps if you are going to be doing any spot and stalk hunting. If you are in North Tx, probably not necessary.

But, good luck, and enjoy yourself!!

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
For all I know, he could be charging me for Gatogordo's free hunt

Nope, I'm innocent on this one.

You need to find out where you'll be going. It is at least 8 hrs drive KC to Dallas so you can be almost anywhere in Central Tex N of San Antonio. Although we're having a very unusual cool spell right now (60 this morning in NE Texas) I'd expect temps to be in the mid 80s to mid 90s daytime and mid 60s to mid 70s at night. If you're in Central Texas it has been VERY dry, look for waterholes and you'll find hogs. Unless you're on some very naive hogs or a put and take operation, hunting with a bow, you'll probably be on a feeder. Snakes can be a problem, they tend to move more in the fall. In our area, we have not had the drought that the rest of the state has and we're well supplied with mosquitos. You probably won't need it in the dry areas, but be sure to bring mosquito repellent. Some people swear by Thermocell, I haven't used it.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The plan is for two of us to fly to Kansas City, then drive down with the whole group in two trucks.

You know, we have airports in Texas! dancing

11 hours driving from KC could put you anywhere in northern Texas, which doesn't really matter. We've got pigs throughout the state. We've been filling our feeders over the last four weeks and they are already getting hit really hard by both deer and pigs and our area is in pretty good shape for rain.

Hunting from stands over feeders is pretty much what we do here in Texas. Most areas that hold animals are too thick to hunt otherwise.

Definitely bring bug spray and watch for snakes. We have some nasty ones.

What are you hunting with? Rifle, bow, handgun?

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lometa, TX. Looks like it is 100 miles south of Dallas. Near Ft. Hood. We think the place is Hog Mania.

What part of Texas is this? Hill Country?
Pics and satellite show lots of little trees, little else green, except a few green fields I can see on maquest.

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We call that the "Yankee Triangle", they enter and never return.......not sure what happens to them. Big Grin

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
We call that the "Yankee Triangle", they enter and never return.......not sure what happens to them. Big Grin

You're lucky -- we need one of those that can draw them away!

Good luck on your hunt and have a great time! We are expecting a full report with photos upon your return.

I would pose the bow question on the bow-hunting forum if you don't get your answer here.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
For a bow case, I use SKB and haven't had any problems. Been all over the country and to Africa without any hiccups.

Good luck at "Hog Mania" or wherever your end up.

Regards,
Scott

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bja105:
Lometa, TX. Looks like it is 100 miles south of Dallas. Near Ft. Hood. We think the place is Hog Mania.

What part of Texas is this? Hill Country?
Pics and satellite show lots of little trees, little else green, except a few green fields I can see on maquest.

11 hours drive through texas will get you most of the way into, but not out of, trouble!

bring a pistol .. no, really
dude.. you so need snakeboots .. carry chewing tabacco, just to put on the stings yu'll get.. the smaller the critter/torn is, the worse it feels

EVERYTHING is going to scrartch, sing, bite, claw, suck, or just plain ole poison you,,

drink water... like 3-6 bottles BEFORE noon ... the best place for water is IN you.

if you are thirsty, its already too late

the trees are ao small they trap HEAT, and if you sit still for an hour, a salt cedar will send a root up your pants leg, looking for water

there are NO "friendly" ants... the tiny red ones might kill you

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jeffe--if you read our posts, you'd think we were trying to discourage the fellow from coming and helping out with hog control--

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Our killer bees aren't very friendly either, and I would suggest leather gloves as most of the flora has thorns.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Discourage? nah, i am hoping he has the mettle to see we have grandmothers, great grand mothers even, out 4 wheelin in that ... just didnt want him taken by surprise..

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dustoffer:
jeffe--if you read our posts, you'd think we were trying to discourage the fellow from coming and helping out with hog control--

Nothing discouraging, yet. I like seeing new critters, new trees, new country.

I'm sure Gatogordo means I'll like the "Yankee Triangle" so much, I'll send for the family. All 5 of us can live in Texas and tell you all how we did things up North!

I'm still excited. I just checked the weather for Lometa. 97 degrees, 27% Humidity, wow, that is dry. We only hit 90's a couple days a year, but its always over 70% relative humidity. Doubt I'll get to meet any fellow HVAC guys in so little time, I always like to see differences in our trade in other regions.

I don't even know if our cabin has air conditioning. Hmmm... Acclimation may be an issue. We have had lows in the 30's and 40's this week, and when it hit 75 this P.M., I was suffering.

Seriously, how much worse are Texas thorns than PA thorns? We have multiflora rose, and I'm known to wander through it in shorts.

Killer bees... I'm mad at killer bees. In the 1980's, the TV told me killer bees were on the way north and we're all gonna die. If they are here, they must like the weather better and calmed down. I thought fire ants were coming, too?

Thanks for the bottled water suggestion. I figure we will take a cooler full of water and beer down, a cooler of pork back.

3 weeks from now, I'll be flying west!

Jason

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
drink water... like 3-6 bottles BEFORE noon ... the best place for water is IN you.

This is very important. Good hydration really begins a couple of days before and is a continual process.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's my tip based on actual experience. If you use mechanical broadheads stay in the truck and enjoy the view! I've seen my buddy's MB's fail to penetrate several times on game, and can show you where in the Red River six mechanical broadheads are if your interested.
BTW, Lometa Lodge AF&AM is where my Grandfather was Raised to the Degree of a Master Mason.
Good luck, enjoy you visit, take lots of pics or film, buy lots of tourist stuff. yankees
Eterry

Good luck and good shooting.
In Memory of Officer Nik Green, #198, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop G...Murdered in the line of duty 12-26-03...A Good Man, A Good Officer, and A Good Friend gone too soon

Posts: 849 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote