Find
Notify
Tools

How you hunt pigs in North America??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted
Do you just walk around and find them during the daylight?? Down here is very difficult to find one once the sun is up if you don't use dogs for moving them out of the monte (bush).

Why they feed during the day up there and here is the other way round?? [Frown]

LG

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo,
I expect it's very much liekdown there, in places.

I tend to stalk for them, in areas know to hold them... find water on a hot day, and sooner or later you'll find pigs.

i have sat in a stand on bright nights, as well... the more german way....

we call the stalking "walkin em up" which means you are going to walk and walk... unless you have baited them.

jeffe

Posts: 38500 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Walking up works sometimes. I have found that ambushing them on the way back from feeding at dawn is productive or on the way there at dusk. The stinkers are basically nocturnal in California.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo
Here in Texas we hunt pigs at deer feeders. They usually come in early and late in the afternoon.
Sometimes they feed only at night, thus you get in your hunting location before dark and stay till the pigs come in.
I have also killed them while driving around the deer lease, even in the middle of the day. I spot them from the vehicle and then stalk them.
My favorite way to hunt them is to get the wind right and just as jeffeosso says "just walk them up". Even in the hot of the day I have walked up on bedded down pigs.
The closer I can get, the better, ie more fun [Big Grin]

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
It seems that mostly they have similar behaviour, the thing here is that the monte is very thick and you don't see them (take a look at the pictures I posted in "My last hunt" topic few days ago), sometimes they can just remain still and you walk near without seeing them. With dogs you hear the barking towards you and then something broking branches closer and closer, your mouth goes dry, your hart pumps quickly and the moment of truth is near [Wink]

LG

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We have a similar situation here, the river bottoms are mostly dense brush and briars, so we will put a feeder in a good location and hunt both deer and hogs, as they will both use the feeder. However, I have noticed that if hogs start using a feeder regularly the deer will slow down or stop using the feeder.

Good luck and good shooting

Eterry

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Water and acorns in the fall for stalking, feeders or bottom country rest of the time. Oh, forgot, bars at night, just before closing. [Wink]

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CLL
posted Hide Post
In the fall I hunt patches of Bull Thistle , hogs seem to congregate around it . Water holes & troughs are also good . It seem as though there are more hogs becoming mid-day feeders . We just have alot of pigs everywhere .

Posts: 200 | Location: CA,U.S.A. | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most feral hogs in Texas are shot as a by-product of deer hunting, either from stands near feeders or simply by stumbling across them as the cross a trail or some other open spot. They are certainly predominantly nocturnal, but sometimes will show up in broad daylight when luck is with you.

There is a growing industry of guides who specialize in chasing hogs with hounds. The paying hunter has his choice of weapons with which to dispatch the bayed hog -- guns, bows, knives, or bare knuckles [Eek!] .

There is also a demand for live-captured hogs which, I am told, are sold into the European market as "wild boar". Enterprisers will build hog trapping contraptions and transport the trapped hogs to a buyer. This trapping works well for a little while, but hogs are quick learners and you're only going to get a percentage of the "mob" before the others learn not to go "in there".

The largest trapped boars bring a price-per-pound premium, presumably because they are in demand by ranchers who wish to make them available for paying hunters. Not quite a "canned" hunt, but something akin to stocking a shooting preserve.

Posts: 13236 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it is winter and all of the leaves are off the trees, I stalk for them during the day in stands of pine trees as they still have shade and protection from the sun. In the summer, I look for them at night in fields where cattle are and ambush them. They root under the cow pies looking for grubs and stuuf. In the summer, I also wait at night by water holes that have sign of them.

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, here in California we hunt them mostly by just getting out there and looking for them. However, I have hunted with guys who use dogs to root them out of the brush.

I have found a large variation in the hog's patterns depending on how much they are hunted and the terrain. Some of the properties I hunt on the hogs are darned near nocturnal, though we still pick off a few at dawn and dark. Other places I hunt you might just see them any old time. Sort of hard to figure.

We tend to do best on the hogs when it is really hot in the summer. They have to go to water and they really like to spend the nights eating in the barley fields. If you can get them coming or going from water or feed on their way to their bedding areas you can clean up.

My dad and I managed to kill 15 this last summer between us. Got to test some of the new bullets,
I think we both still think the Nosler Partition is hard to beat.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Most feral hogs in Texas are shot as a by-product of deer hunting, either from stands near feeders or simply by stumbling across them as the cross a trail or some other open spot. They are certainly predominantly nocturnal, but sometimes will show up in broad daylight when luck is with you.

There is a growing industry of guides who specialize in chasing hogs with hounds. The paying hunter has his choice of weapons with which to dispatch the bayed hog -- guns, bows, knives, or bare knuckles [Eek!] .

There is also a demand for live-captured hogs which, I am told, are sold into the European market as "wild boar". Enterprisers will build hog trapping contraptions and transport the trapped hogs to a buyer. This trapping works well for a little while, but hogs are quick learners and you're only going to get a percentage of the "mob" before the others learn not to go "in there".

The largest trapped boars bring a price-per-pound premium, presumably because they are in demand by ranchers who wish to make them available for paying hunters. Not quite a "canned" hunt, but something akin to stocking a shooting preserve.

I know of one trapper who would say, at least for the ones he traps, go to straight to a "butcher then wrapped and sold as jerky on some sites and being butchered for "exotic meats" I am sure that not all of them bo to the butcher but to the 'safari(sp)" stateside.

Posts: 1 | Location: Gloryland, Texas | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Mr Lyons. Do you have a high percentage of shots per stalk? At least a chance per outing? Or do you get skunked a bit like we do in most all hunting? I'm from Northwest Misery and we have no huntable hog population. The feed lots here look down on hunters lurking around the pens! [Big Grin] [Wink] [Big Grin] Just curious as I know there to be a Showme Safari place in your area. Hope he didn't sow up all the good places to hunt. I went to the central part of the state during deer season and saw no sign. We were about two miles away from some feral hogs according to a reliable local source. I'm going to try for the correct area in late winter. Good luck and may all your shots hit true. Packy [Wink]

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Packrat...depends on the location. In Brazoria County where I live all you have to do is walk to any golf course after dark and they are thick as field mice. Other drier parts of Texas like Stonecreek's Hill Country (almost) don't support as large of a population on natural feed so they are more likely shot near feeders. The exception is if the turkey population is low enough that hogs don't compete with them for acorns. (When it comes to acorns, turkeys are industrial vacumns without having to empty the bag). That said, there are two types of hog hunting (not unlike deer): meat and trophy. Trophy boars are not unlike like big bucks that survived long enough to get smart and hide while young hogs are dumb and easy to find. Not much different than other hunting but fortunately for some of us hog hunters, not nearly as popular.

PS: Stonecreek, how long have you been in Georgetown? I attended Southwestern in '72-73. Wish I had stayed.

[ 12-06-2003, 23:32: Message edited by: tiggertate ]

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nope, I get skunked quit a bit also. Most of the pigs are in the area of Fort Leonard Wood. I've done most of my hunting in the Mark Twain forrest about 4 miles west of Maples. I've never heard anyone from around here speak of ShowMe safari, so I'm not sure about them and what all they do. I haven't seen any pig sign as of late in the area I usually hunt in.

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

PS: Stonecreek, how long have you been in Georgetown? I attended Southwestern in '72-73. Wish I had stayed.

<small>[ 12-06-2003, 23:32: Message edited by: tiggertate ]</small>

Only about 6 years, having moved here from the Rolling Plains of West Texas. GeorgetownRoundRockAustin are now virtually indistinguishable. Am in the process of building on our ranch property west of Dripping Springs, however, so will soon be a resident of the heart of the Hill Country.

Posts: 13236 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I guess neither knows the town the other knew. The only place to work then was the candle factory and the principal recreation was at the San Gabriel river with young, nekked college girls.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
If you'll pardon my rotten sense of humour...

Where I was born and raised in AZ, the only wild "pigs" we had to hunt were Javelina. Most successful method seemed to be:

1. Get fully camoflaged,

2. Lie down on 122-degree or hotter sand, simultaneously on 3.6 trillion different little tiny, but very sharp, cacti,

3. Make the mating call of the wild prickly pear,

4. Wait until nearly blind little Javelinas began to chew on boot,

5. Shoot self in foot, sometimes serendiptiously perforating Javelina also,

6. Try vigorously to explain to ER doc, and wife, that despite suspicious blood-alcohol, worm still in cheek, and empty thin pint container, Mescal had absolutely NOTHING to do with whole affair.

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo wrote:

Quote:

Do you just walk around and find them during the daylight?? Down here is very difficult to find one once the sun is up if you don't use dogs for moving them out of the monte (bush).

Why they feed during the day up there and here is the other way round??

LG

Lorenzo- I'm another Texas hog hunter. One thing about this place is there is no lack of feral hogs! There is no limit or season. You can hunt them 24/7.

We have an excellent website dedicated to hunting hogs in Texas

http://www.texasboars.com/index.html

We all agree that hog hunting is better at night and the hogs can definitely hear when a corn feeder goes off.

Kevin Ryer- the webmaster makes a great green LED light system that you mount over your feeder. It has a solar panel and stays on all night. It goes on & off with a photo cell. The pigs get used to the light and aren't bothered by it at all. It all makes for some incredible bow hunting for hogs!!

one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo- You should like the story in this thread.
A hog bowhunt- up close & personal!

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/discus/messages/3558/93273.html?1071961500

one of us
posted Hide Post
In the mountains of North Carolina, Russian boar were released back in maybe, 1909? You can hunt them on public land, either from a stand or elevated ground (near top of a ridge, overlooking a trail, etc) or you can get a guided hunt where they are either driven past you with dogs, or you run with the dogs untill the hog tires and backs himself up to something, at which point the dogs hold him there untill you get close enough to finish him off by rifle, sluggun, bow, pistol, or spear.

Posts: 510 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote