Notify
Tools

15 to 20 bullets to kill one of those boars
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Here is the article

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/7214839.htm

I'm going after those Texas super hogs next week, with a bow!

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Funny, we've had them in California just as long, the seasons are the same as are all the other conditions except I guess we must shoot better because I never heard of one taking 20 bullets to kill. What a lot of jerkwater panic! Eat more pork.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What a joke, hogs for as "brawny" as they are, are fairly easy to kill.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
500 jeffery, right behind the ear.....

hey, that works on EVERYTHING

jeffe

Posts: 38500 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That guy Loven is pretty much full of crap.

Posts: 498 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's kind of like Walker, Texas Ranger out there," Loven said. "I've seen it take 15 to 20 bullets to kill one of those boars -- bullets will sometimes just bounce off of them
What a bunch of malarky! Shoot straight, it works wonders. I wont even comment on the bullets bouncing off them statement.

[ 11-23-2003, 13:19: Message edited by: Mike Smith ]

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a row crop farm over here in my county that was having feral hog problems. Corn, sugar beets and other crops being destroyed every nite. The farm employed the deep -pit method. A back hoe would dig out a deep pit and then fill it with bait, cantelope, watermelons etc. Long flimsey boards would be placed as ramps into the pit. After a couple nites, the pit would be full of pigs which slipped into the pit on the boards but could not get out. The back-hoe would return, fill up the pit with dirt and the whole process was repeated over again. In a mos, they killed well over a few hundred pigs. The public and media were never alerted, heck I'm not even suppose to know about it but a little bird.............

Posts: 254 | Location: USA | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife says, "Why don't the cops wear pig skin instead of Kevlar vest?" I wish I'd said that.

Posts: 51 | Location: Dickson, TN | Registered: 24 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While an interesting and mostly factual story, it should be noted that a liscense IS required to hunt them in Texas.

The best line of the article:
quote:
They can revert from a domestic hog to their ancestral wild state in just a few generations, and if they're big enough and tough enough, they can become a boar.
I was pretty sure the only requisit to "becoming a boar" was being male and living past puberty with your boarhood intact?

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the writer of this story didn't have a clue...

15 or 20 bullets.. yeah .. AT it, not IN it... more of a story of the ineptitude of the shooter than the hardiness of the hogs...

"bullets bounce right off" HAR HAR HAR,,,,

sounds like when the troll says "and a 416 rigby can KNOCK an elk over backwards"

jeffe

one of us
posted Hide Post
Having hunted hogs and javelina when I lived in Texas, all I will say is that the writer must be a couchbound "outdoor writer" and that he does not have any actual outdoor / hunting experience. Someone local may want to suggest to this fellow that he research his topic a bit more before writing such nonsense. Now, if anyone knows where such a "superhog" exists (and no, I'm not referring to anyones last girlfriend, I've travelled that path [Eek!] ) please let me know 'cause I'd like to hunt a "superhog" - KMule

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
KMule,
You're about 17 million years late. Check out the thread on "Now this is a HOG"

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a number of them with a 22 L.R. and many with a 25-35 and 22 Hornet and other such calibers....

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JOE MACK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MtnHtr:
There is a row crop farm over here in my county that was having feral hog problems. Corn, sugar beets and other crops being destroyed every nite. The farm employed the deep -pit method. A back hoe would dig out a deep pit and then fill it with bait, cantelope, watermelons etc. Long flimsey boards would be placed as ramps into the pit. After a couple nites, the pit would be full of pigs which slipped into the pit on the boards but could not get out. The back-hoe would return, fill up the pit with dirt and the whole process was repeated over again. In a mos, they killed well over a few hundred pigs. The public and media were never alerted, heck I'm not even suppose to know about it but a little bird.............

Criminy! What a waste of good protein. He could probably recouped his losses charging people to hunt them. The meat could even have gone to Hunters for the Hungry. We got depredation tags, but the meat either went in the freezer or needy folks in town. To me this is a sickening waste. Other remedies could have been persued. Sorry, this chaps my hide. [Mad]

Posts: 403 | Location: PRK | Registered: 20 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Joe, I feel the same way. It does seem like a horrible waste. The only thing I was wondering is how bad is the red tape to get tags for that many hogs in California? The farmer probably just didn't want to deal with it. Still it is an awful waste.

Carl

Posts: 153 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: 30 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
quote:
Origirong>While an interesting and mostly factual story, it should be noted that a liscense IS required to hunt them in Texas.
Actually, this past June the legislature passed a bill into law allowing hog hunting without a license. And, from the wording of the law, it appears as if this even appies to out-of-staters.

RSY

[ 11-18-2003, 05:01: Message edited by: RSY ]

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Texas hogs were easy to kill last week, an arrow through the heart easily dropped them!

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RSY:
quote:
Originally posted by TrademarkTexan:
While an interesting and mostly factual story, it should be noted that a liscense IS required to hunt them in Texas.

Actually, this past June the legislature passed a bill into law allowing hog hunting without a license. And, from the wording of the law, it appears as if this even appies to out-of-staters.

RSY

Only if you are hunting them on your own property and they are causing damage to the property. You have to possess a valid hunting license to hunt them on someone else's property.

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
A bit more clarification on the hunting license requirement.

A landowner (resident or non resident) can hunt feral hogs on his property if they are causing damage without a license. His agent (similar to a ranch hand) or leasee can also hunt them without a license. The leasee does not mean a "hunting lease." This is to mean someone that is leasing the property to farm or ranch.

This doesn't extend to someone being invited onto the property to hunt. They must possess a valid hunting license and all hunter safety regulations apply.

[ 11-21-2003, 05:40: Message edited by: Longbob ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
jeffeosso,
I just got into a pissin' match with a poster on another forum that swears he shot a close range 110lbs doe with a 45-70 and the deer was "picked up and thrown back 10 feet by the bullet". Me thinks many "shooters" believe what they see in the "flicks", when those shot bodies fly all over the place when hit by bullets or a shotgun blast. Never happen not on this earth under our laws of physics.

Posts: 218 | Location: Sand Hills of NC | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
hey Crawfish...

Here's a pretty cool thing...

ask the bloke of a shotgun with bird shot could do it?

then take him to the range....

shot a skeet leaning on a post, with a pellet rifle...

then shoot one with a shotgun...

funny, the skeet BREAKS!!!! but the dust more or less continues on it's merry way.... (there is a slight change in vector, but that might be just because the skeet and shot weigh about the same)

jiminey christmas, I can't believe it when folks "see-ed it" happen, that they believe a shoulder fired rifle can "flip" big game over....

jeffe

one of us
Picture of CLL
posted Hide Post
In responce to Anvil63 , hear in CA tags are avalible no red tape . After 1995s winter storms we experienced a huge population increase , then 1998 more rain more pigs . In areas that traditionally did not hold pigs there are now . Game laws were changed reguarding bag limits . Previously 1 a day 2 in possesion , now unlimited as long as you have tags . The only problem is access to lands hunt . While pigs do inhabit public lands privatly held ag property produces the majority of feral hogs in my area.

Posts: 200 | Location: CA,U.S.A. | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Actually, wild hogs can grow to weigh well in excess of 600 pounds here. And while there is no hog season and no "hog liscens", one must have a current state-issued hunting liscens to hunt hogs in the state of Texas. I saw a few other statements that were slightly off, but the fact is that we do have lots of hogs to hunt here. 15-20 bullets to kill one??? What are they hunting with, a .22LR? A .30-30, .35Rem. or any similar caliber is adequate for even the big critters. I know a few people who had the nads to go out with SKS's and .223's. those calibers are fine until you run across the 300+ pounders, then you need a real gun to stop them as fast as possible. A hog, no matter what you hit him with takes a little time to bleed-out, so on the huge ones I prefer to immobilize him first with a through shot on the front shoulders.

Posts: 4 | Location: TX | Registered: 17 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Longbob:
A landowner (resident or non resident) can hunt feral hogs on his property if they are causing damage without a license.

How does one go about getting a license to cause damage in Texas? I'd like to do it properly, not get shot at. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1646 | Location: Euless, TX | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
Scott,

Just having you around causes damage. [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
HAVING LIVED IN TEXAS ALL MY LIFE, I CAN ONLY AGREE WITH ONE THING IN THAT ARTICLE....THE HOGS ARE GROWING IN POPULATION STATEWIDE. OTHER THAN THAT, IT WAS A LOAD OF CRAP. I HAVE HUNTED WILD HOGS WITH A 22 MAGNUM RIFLE, AND TAKEN SEVERAL WITH IT. I USUALLY USE A CENTERFIRE RIFLE BECAUSE I AM DEER HUNTING WHEN I RUN ACROSS THEM. I USUALLY HOLD FOR A SPOT IN FRONT OF THE SHOULDERS, AS THEY ARE NO PUSHOVER, BUT FAR FROM BULLLETPROOF. MY HUNTING BUDDY SHOT A BIG 250 POUND BOAR LAST TUESDAY WITH HIS 243, ONE SHOT, ONE HOG ON THE GROUND. MADE ABOUT 60 POUNDS OF SAUSAGE, POLISH AND GERMAN, AND SOME NICE PORK CHOPS. I HAD SOME SAUSAGE FOR LUNCH.
ANYONE WHO SAYS BULLETS BOUNCE OFF HOGS IS CREATING FICTION, IT JUST AINT SO.
BTW, YOU DO NEED A LICENSE TO HUNT ANYTHING IN TEXAS, UNLESS YOU OWN THE LAND AND ARE SUFERING PREDATION FROM THE ANIMALS.

GOOD LUCK AND GOOD SHOOTING
ETERRY

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 308winchester
posted Hide Post
Maybe people are missing the vitals since they are not placed just like on deer and other big game?

Johan

Posts: 1082 | Location: Middle-Norway (Veterinary student in Budapest) | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot most of my pigs with a weay 6PPC...

I have noticed them to be less resiliant than fallow deer on most cases.

And arrows, they don't like arrows, I can't explain why, but it seems like they dies very quickly with an arrow in the boiler room [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad Wichita Hunter redeemed the Lone Star State. I was thinkin' "Gee, only 400#?" They hit 600+ in the Southeast and a well placed .22 rf will kill any of them. Hogs aren't THAT hard to kill. I've had to shoot 2 out of 78 more than once, and that only because I didn't really want to track them. Killed one with a load of #8 shot once, range about 15 yds. Wonder if I can get some of that stuff that clown's been smokin'? [Confused]

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote