Find
Notify
Tools

.45 vs. Hog?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
Has anyone ever attempted to take a hog with their .45?

I just became the owner of a Springfield Armory XD45 and I am wanting to pack it along for some hog hunting once my Casull gets blood! Which factory loads would ya'll recommend? Any of the personal defense stuff? I am going to throw it out there that the shot will be within 20 yards as well.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3319 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buffalo Bore makes a +p 230gr load that might work.

If the pigs are not too big maybe a Hornady 200 or 230 XTP.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I don't know about pigs. But for a carry load I use the flat point 230 gr brass enclosed bullet from Winchester. The Buffalo Bore load might be just the ticket though. I just like big, heavy for calibetr bullets with a large meplat. But with the limited powder capacity of the ACP you have to be reserved in weight. Positive feeding is always a concern. Good luck. I am a fan of the old ACP and would like to hear your results when you get a chance to blood the XD. Packy

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys I will look into it!

Packrat, I will try to get results posted up and possibly video if I try it this afternoon.

I was going to bring my Casull/Muzzleloader but niether are sighted in right now and I am not sure I have enough time to get to the range and then head out.

It may have to be the .280 that gets video'ed tonight Smiler

Posts: 3319 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Justin, I thought you had that Casull all dialed in! Grab whatever shoots straight and get out there tonight!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Nah Whit,

I just got the ammo in a few days ago but I had to fire someone up at work and I've been covering those shifts while I get new guys trained Smiler

If a hog shows up tonight there will definately be video once I get it uploaded! Big Grin

Justin

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Excellent! Be sure to get out there tonight. Looking forward to the video!

Semper Fidelis

posted Hide Post
Hello.
Very nice. I would love to hunt with my S/W revolver in 45 ACP or my 44 mag. But we cant do that in sweden. Mad

Seved

Posts: 19 | Location: sweden | Registered: 29 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
230 gr ball works fine

also have 45 acp carbine that works great

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Back in October 2005 I was put into a situation where I harvested a 450+ boar with a Springfield Armory Professional model 1911 in .45acp in the Brazos river bottoms near College Station, TX. I was working on an article for one of the magazines I write for and was trying to take a pig, any pig, with the pistol; I just never dreamed it would be such a big one.
My guide and I were easing along through a slough with our attention riveted on a group of pigs about 200 yards away at the other end of the little clearing. As we slowly made our way around the slough, using the brush at its edge for cover, we stopped behind a large cypress tree so that I could make sure I had chambered a round. I was using Extreme Shock ammo’s 45 ACP 185Gr. Enhanced Penetration rounds.

When we stepped out from behind the tree a small pile of brush about 15 yards in front of us exploded as a big boar rushed at us. Luckily I had not re-holstered my Springfield. All that I had time for was to spin my left leg out of the way of the boar’s swinging tusks while sticking my right hand out toward the boar and pulling the trigger. I didn’t know it at the time and could not make the shot again if I tried a million times, but my first round went right down his ear canal. When my foot settled down again and I was able to get a good solid aiming stance I sent another round into the base of his neck as he turned towards his left and I thought he was going to come around again for another pass. I didn’t know it at the time but he was actually beginning his death roll when I shot him the second time. The Extreme Shock Ammo had done its job and pulverized his brain.
I will try to remember to post a picture tonight when I get home.

We had to field dress him in the field so that 5 of us could load him into the back of my guide’s Polaris Ranger. When we got back to the barn he maxed out a 400 lb grain scale; even with his insides missing, so 450+ lbs is a very rough guess of his live weight as we had nothing else to weigh him with at the time.

So will the .45acp stop a charging boar, you bet! But jus like any other hunting situation, you just have to place your shot properly, in other words, accuracy counts.

Denvas

Posts: 21 | Location: Houston | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
CRUSHER: What kind of 45 carbin is that.

Seved

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
vz 24 bolt action
takes 1911 magazines

16 in bbl sights from a remmy in the scrap pile and scope and bases/ rings from scrap pile

used a kit for mag well but did not realy work so lowered feed ramp cut off bolt stop and ejector and moved foreward to make short throw action

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
If you brain'em just about anything will work, even 22 lr.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Lovely i would like one.
quote:
Originally posted by CRUSHER:
vz 24 bolt action
takes 1911 magazines

16 in bbl sights from a remmy in the scrap pile and scope and bases/ rings from scrap pile

used a kit for mag well but did not realy work so lowered feed ramp cut off bolt stop and ejector and moved foreward to make short throw action

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
I think you would enjoy it let me know if I can help.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

posted Hide Post
Crusher: Is it custom made.What is vz stands for.

Seved

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Crusher, how about some better pictures of your little "beast slayer".

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
Has anyone ever attempted to take a hog with their .45?

I just became the owner of a Springfield Armory XD45 and I am wanting to pack it along for some hog hunting once my Casull gets blood! Which factory loads would ya'll recommend? Any of the personal defense stuff? I am going to throw it out there that the shot will be within 20 yards as well.

For hogs in a 45 ACP with a factory load I like the Buffalo Bore 230 Jackted Flat Point. BB list them at 950 FPS i chronoed them in 2 of my guns and got 1015 fps out of one of them and 1017 fps out of the other one........ beer

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I was thinking that any load would work well if the shots were close, would you get full penetration on a hog at 10-20 yards with some 230gr fmj's?

My XD is trying to open the gun safe to chase a pig! But I guess all my guns are Big Grin

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
But none more than your SRH .454 Casull! Big Grin

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:
But none more than your SRH .454 Casull! Big Grin

Yeah I know!

I am sure if I headed to Fla to hunt with ya'll I would get off the airplane looking like Rambo with all the guns that want to come along rotflmo

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I always have trouble deciding what I should take on the next hunt too!! Big Grin

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
seved its a mauser just like the 98 if you want to build one of these I suggest you use an enfield because of the rear locking lugs it feeds better and the magazine can be made from the original mag epoxy and a 1911 magazine.

I think i have some pictures not a beautifull piece though

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
bolt fully open you can see the adaptor and mag release button on the left front mag well.

bolt closed moved the bolt stop and ejector foreward to the correct leingth for 45 acp

bolt open right hand side

you can kinda see where the feed ramp has been added on in this pic welded to add material reshaped lowering ramp

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

posted Hide Post
Is it hard to make the magasine to fit and feed. What muzzlevelocity do you get with it.

I think it looks very nice.

Seved

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
45LC and 10MM ...
bang
flop
grey hole in the head

good stuff

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38523 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
you must work the bolt briskly because the short ctg has to jump the lug raceway that is why I recomend the enfield with rear lugs. the single stack colt 1911 pistol mags from chip mcormick work great the feed problems are elsewhere.

that is why I welded up the bottom of the action to lower and lengthen the feeed ramp.

it takes some work but once you get it right it works fine.

everyone at the range loves to shoot this one kids enjoy it alot.

standard 230 gr cast lead round nose at 1000 fps drills big 45 cal holes through the top of the pigs head and exit his briskett

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

posted Hide Post
Thank you. I have to find a smith who can do it in sweden.

Seved

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
I killed hundreds of hogs with 1911s 45s .juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote