New
Find
Notify
Tools

Three for Three
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has been a while since I knocked down a good-sized boar at this place, but a big sounder has been coming regularly--as many as 16 in the pictures. The "tattle-tale" (game camera) said they had arrived between 8 and 10 6 of the last 7 nights, and the moon was nearly full, so hot or not, I headed for the stand. Was gonna go last week, but triple-digit temps were just too much. I got in the seat about 8:05 and it was in shadow, with a nice breeze, so not bad. Got the rifle loaded, shooting bipod deployed, binos out, camo shirt on, and had a drink of water. I thought I heard a grunt coming from the woodline to the NW--but wasn't sure. Took another look around, just reminding myself of the yardages to known points in the pasture. Feeder wasn't gonna spin until 8:30, so I was kicked back. Looked at the feeder--there they were---lots of black bodies. Put the rifle on the rest and scoped 'em out--the big sow (150 or so) and a bunch of near-grown shoats--60 lbs and up. Had an order for a sow of 80-100 lbs for a buddy for sausage, but didn't appear to be one "right-sized" but I came to kill pigs. Put the crosshair on the largest shoat I could isolate and waited until it got in front of another, hoping for a double, and touched it off. Recovered from the recoil--saw legs waving, and another pig on the far side of the pen looking back at the one on the ground. Slowly and quietly worked the bolt and watched the pig walk back into the pen--BAM! 2 for 2. Then I looked up the powerline right of way and saw a third one looking back. Gun is empty (only a 2-shooter due to magazine length limits) so had to fish around in my pocket for another round, slip into the chamber and close the bolt. Couldn't use the bipod due to brush, so stood up, assumed a good off-hand position, breathe, exhale, hold, and squeeze. BAM, my rifle team coach would have been proud!!! 3 for 3. Friend is happy--got his sausage makings, the landowner is happy, and I'm ready to hit the sack.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good on ya there Dustoffer.

Good stuff!

I'm suffrin' from a powerful case of SDD (Shooting Deficit Disorder) myself. Hope to rememdy it reasonably soon.

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Geedubya--I understand the problems you have with "SDD" as it sometimes is overwhelming for me. All my buddies want me to take 'em pig hunting, and I tell them they can come, but have to watch.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dustoffer,

I have a friend that made what in my mind was a profound statement. He's a salt-of-the-earth kinda guy. I've known him since 1978. I met him at church shortly after my wife and I got married. Our wives got pregnant at the same time and our kids grew up together. He and I room together when we do our annual scooter rides.

The statement was to the effect that "ya know I used to think that when my kids got grown they would be out of the house and life would be simpler and my wife and I could kick back or travel etc. But that ain't the case. It seems like life just keep on getting harder and harder 'till it kills ya!"

I'm semi-retired, don't have to be anywhere, yet between taking care of my 86 year old mom, my kids, 75 tenants, 5 siblings and carrying my own water, I just don't seem to get to hunt as much as I want to.

But what the hey, life is good and the, hoglets are getting fatter and I've got a couple new rifles to blood. Anticipation!

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice pigs there dustoffer. Three for the Pit! or grinder.

GW, let us know how you like that H&H, should make short work of the pigs, large or small..

"We Don't Rent Pigs !"

Posts: 1191 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 29 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Geedubya--I'm fortunate. Retired from the Army in '99 and worked for 2 years, then said "heck with this" and retired-retired. I have a small lawn service (1 day/wk) and that pays for my hunting and fishing habits plus pays the taxes on the house. Kid is gone so we just pretty much do as we like, when we like.

And, I don't get to hunt as much as I "want" to either.

Life is good.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Nice work as usual, dustoffer! Congratulations! beer

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Went back to the 3-for-3 place last night with the bow intending to stick the big sow--but got stood up. However, as a backup plan, I baited the trap at another place--love it when a plan comes together. tu2

This makes 53 year-to-date for me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm embarassed to say how few I've killed this year.

Good for you. I'm glad you're able to have the time and opportunity.

Best

GWB

one of us
posted Hide Post
Geedubya--your time will come--

My objective is to eliminate 100 of them this year--and I'm a few behind right now as once deer season comes, I'll be otherwise occupied.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Life has its seasons. I'm entering the winter. Life changes. Although I didn't go and do a bunch of big hunts in Africa, New Zealand or the western states, I've had a ball this last 20 years or so, especially the last 13 hunting the hill country. If I were to head to the barn tomorrow I'd look back and be happy. I'll continue to hunt as often as I can, but I fear that will not be near as much as in the past or to the degree that I would prefer.
So, I'll live vicariously through ya'll's pix till I get to go again myself.

Best

GWB

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Nice work yet again, dustoffer!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
outstanding!!
only 5 for me this year.. so far!

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38602 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Back at 'em tonight, in spite of the heat. TAking too much heat from the landowner because I'm not killing enough pigs-

At any rate, in my seat at 7:40 or so, hot and gnats are a bear. Beautiful 2nd quarter moon overhead, slight breeze. Feeder spun at 8:20 and at 9:20 this boar shows and catches a 55-gr Ballistic Tip in the brain case. Estimated weight is 160-170.