Find
Notify
Tools

Hog helicopter fatal crash
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://www.khou.com/news/Houst...g-trip-86905967.html

You'll see more of these as time goes on. Mix the environment the type of flying and the type of helicopter and it's recipe for disaster.

It's dangerous enough in a real helicopter. The R-22 just gives you less margin for error.

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Bad situation, prayers to the families and friends of the two people that died in the crash.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
My prayers go out to the families.

This happened just south of here. These R-22's go down periodically. They are towed on flatbeds and used for stock and game surveys, hog and predator control, and stock round-ups.

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys--having a few hours in rotary wing aircraft, I got to tell you that this type of flying is just plain scary and dangerous. Low and slow is a recipe for disaster, as if something does go wrong, you have no airspeed to trade for altitude/lift, and no altitude to recover (aerodynamically we call this below the "dead man's curve" on the altitude/airspeed plot). Add to it the need of the pilot to constantly maneuver to give the shooters shots instead of maintaining a cross-check on engine/systems instruments, and it just gets worse. And, the R-22 isn't as robustly powered as some of the choppers I used to fly and I certainly wouldn't do it in them.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob in TX:
My prayers go out to the families.

This happened just south of here. These R-22's go down periodically. They are towed on flatbeds and used for stock and game surveys, hog and predator control, and stock round-ups.

Bob

I was looking pretty closely at three of them a while back on trailers in Brooks County. I wouldn't ride in a car in as bad of mechanical shape as those three birds were in.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting, I saw one go by today in hondo, and I was also mentioning to my buddy, how helicopters in general scare me, and specially small helicopters, and specially small helicopters that dont look in prime condition....

I am a pilot by the way, so it is not a general fear of flying....

I would like to try the helicopter hog hunting sometime, but it would have to be with a very experienced pilot, in a very well maintained and newer helicopter, preferably maintained by a mechanic I know, and after going over all the maintenance records myself.

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I should clarify that the three I'm refering to were for rounding up cattle and not part of any hunting operation or other passenger carrying mode. I didn't intend to associate that comment with any outfitters.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dustoffer:
Guys--having a few hours in rotary wing aircraft, I got to tell you that this type of flying is just plain scary and dangerous. Low and slow is a recipe for disaster, as if something does go wrong, you have no airspeed to trade for altitude/lift, and no altitude to recover (aerodynamically we call this below the "dead man's curve" on the altitude/airspeed plot). Add to it the need of the pilot to constantly maneuver to give the shooters shots instead of maintaining a cross-check on engine/systems instruments, and it just gets worse. And, the R-22 isn't as robustly powered as some of the choppers I used to fly and I certainly wouldn't do it in them.

Throw in some spotty maintenance and you have a recipe for a HUGE disaster. Sadly, this wil be only the first of a wave.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You only have to look at the number of crashes in Australia to see how dangerous this is.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
for the record...

The hunter shot the engine in this particular crash. Tragic and sad for all involved.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
if you served you know tha rifles are carriend with the muzzle on the floor .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah and you sat on your helmet! This is the reason almost every gun mount known to man has a limited range of motion. Don't shoot the engine, the rotors, anything that can spurt oil, and of course the pilot. You think this stuff doesn't happen? Even the professionals f up under extreme conditions. Once that adrenaline hits, no fine motor control and a bad case of tunnel vision.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not what happened at all.Check the N.T.S.B web sight. He ran out of gas. Happened 60 miles from me.

There is nothing as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Posts: 265 | Location: south texas | Registered: 30 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cropduster:
Not what happened at all.Check the N.T.S.B web sight. He ran out of gas. Happened 60 miles from me.

Was there another crash around the same time in the area? I had heard from another pilot that the hunter shot the engine with a 308. He may have been speculating though. Either way it was preventable, very sad!

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is almost as bad on the stupid list!

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Used to represent general aviation manufacturers in litigation. Never ceased to amaze me how many crashes were caused by really basic things -- like fuel management, for instance.

Posts: 10382 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote