New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting hunt yesterday
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been deer hunting with my muzzleloader. I have been lucky and tagged out . I broke out a center fire and had a go at hogs yesterday afternoon

This friend of mine and myself went to a feeder . After a few minutes , I opined that we were wasting our time due to the wind . My friend agreed. Off we go to another feeder .

It was quite thick on both sides of the road. We were close but could only see one side of the feeder . I stood there for a while . My friend sat down. After several minutes I heard something. I motioned to my friend. He is deaf as hell and did not hear it .

I had stood there at least a half hour. I turned a bit thinking I would sit and attempt to shoot while sitting . As I turned , I heard a noise . I looked back and there was a big black boar hog crossing the road not 5 yards from us. No chance for a shot. Happened too quickly . Well that was exciting .

I kept watching the feeder thinking that the big black boar hog would step out at any minute. As I was waiting a large reddish brown boar hog crossed in damn near the same place . I had a shot although it was very brief. My dumb ass failed in my attempt to get the safety off . A few four letter words were spoken quietly .

I put the rifle on the sticks just knowing that one of these hogs was going to step out any second . I see a hog. It was a sow about 75 pounds . About the same time, I can barely see the reddish/brown boar. My friend thinks I am going to shoot the small one . He can’t see the big one . I barely had a shot which I took. The boar went straight down .

I walked up to him. He was bigger than I thought . After a couple of minutes , I heard a noise . This boar was breathing . Quite loudly I might add. His eyes were moving . I shot him again.

He was a very nice boar.

upload pictures free

Posts: 11955 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big old set of nuts on that boy. I love shooting hogs.

Posts: 486 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Thats a chunky pig Larry, well done. tu2

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7973 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah… he’s a stud. Nice story.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 944 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good job Larry.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2072 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
He's a big boy all right. beer
Actually love his coat, but I guess there isn't much you can do with a pig hide ...

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
that's a chonkers!

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gsganzer:

You and me both .

Posts: 11955 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Almost as big as a Nyakasanga Buff Larry Big Grin Eeker
Congrats. A fantastic boar.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2014 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done Larry. Big old hog for sure.

Posts: 352 | Location: pueblo, Co. USA | Registered: 01 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:
Originally posted by gsganzer:

You and me both .

There's been so many different ways I've killed them with various rifles over the years. Walking the warm "long grass" with a .44mag lever while they sleep during a winter day, busting a sleeping hog in the shade of a big oak, hitting 2 with one shot, coming head to head with them on a game trail, calling turkeys and have a pig making a stalk on my decoy. The variety never ends.

Now I get out with a thermal too and look for them, busting a huge boar at our deer gut pile a few years ago.

At our deer feeders, we put 50' round pens around them made of hog panels. At the 9 or 3 o'clock position, we make a spot where the panels overlap and can be open/closed, with the opening making a kind of chute that points towards the deer blind. You let all the pigs go in, then shoot one that's in the chute. They all try to come running back out the chute, but it's blocked by the dead pig. You just keep the rifle trained on the chute and keep popping them as they pile up. Eventually, they give up on the chute and start trying to jump over the pen sides.
It's a hoot!

Posts: 486 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats one hell of a hog Larry.

Are you an oyster eater?

Thats about my favorite parts of a hog.

In the Army several of us country boys got together and bought a grill and supplies.

Went to the local village and ordered 25lbs of sliced nuts. meat shop sure was happy for the business. He even breaded them for us at no charge. One weekend he, wife, dau & a helper came out to join us.

Admission was a case of beer & $5. that was so popular we did it several weekends that summer. Just the guest fee $5 more than paid for the grill and supplies.

Any idea what one like that weighs?

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George:

No oysters for me .

Our guess was 200-210.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
That's a nice one, Larry! Congrats...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9335 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats the best eating parts of hogs.

Bet you won't eat snakes either, right?

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
A fine chunker hog. Any protruding choppers (tusks) on 'im Larry?

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The whetters were fairly large. One of the cutters was broken off. The other was not particularly large.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Wish I was there. Be well.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Serious pig that ! Well done Larry!

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2259 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote