New
Find
Notify
Tools

223 on Hogs-pics
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know a lot of discussion has been said about what caliber is necessary on hogs. I have a close friend that ranches south and west of Houston, Needville,Tx. He builds his own rifles and makes a lot of his own bullets. He shoots about 100 hogs a year with rifles and about the same with his long bow.

This was this week.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butch, some questions:
Bullets used?
Range?
Hogs were shot where?
Thanks, Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a .223, but I lay a bunch of them in the dirt every year with my .22-250 and Nosler 55-gr Ballistic Tips. However, it's brain shots at 100 yds and under for a DRT event.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pat normally uses a 223AI or a 22X47 Lapua. He uses the 45grn TTSX bullets. Pat hunts on his own ranch. I have a multitude of photos and stories of his hog and coyote hunting. He goes no place on his ranch without a rifle and bow be it on his 4 wheeler, tractor, truck, or house. He has a telephone pole that is a measured 290yds. from his front porch. He loves to shoot the birds off of it. Peter, he takes what he can get on range.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butch, I was interested because there have been several threads about how tough hogs are!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know, my Grandson kills them with one shot up to 213yds with a 30BR and 125grn BT. Bear in mind that Pat is a Hall of Fame shooter and is by far the best off hand shooter that I have witnessed.
Butch

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
We use our own czbrno 223 and a 243 on hogs i our farm ,but we shoot close distance not more than 100mts generally small hogs and always brain shots .I believe that its totally inadecuated for a hog of more than 70 kilos but of course it can be done .juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a multitude of pics, but it is hard to get them on photobucket and then posted on a slow internet server.

This is a little pig. I have several other AR 15 pictures of kills.
Butch

One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Ive killed 8 or 9 with my Mini 14 shooting factory 55gr. ammo. 25-125 yards.

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
very nice rifle please post more photosjuan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zoboomafoo_dude
posted Hide Post
No doubt they are tough animals, but I've seen a couple taken down with a .223 to the boiler room. However, I prefer to use my ar-10 if I have the choice.

Posts: 93 | Location: New Orleans, LA | Registered: 08 October 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Don't discount how tough they are because some choose minimal calibers to kill them. Placement is still and always will be king. That said, any animal, and I do mean any animal shot with any caliber in the CNS is DRT -- period. This applies to elephants and chipmunks alike. Butch, your buddy is a hell-of-a-shot!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is another photo with Pat and his 22X47Lapua.

Pat's story. He says in the story that he is using the 223, but the caption shows 22x47Lapua. That was for another picture in the sequence in the email. Don't guess it matters as both are 22's.

Been working on some tax issues and started to loose my vision, looking at that crap... Decided I needed a break so I loaded up the 4 wheeler and went to the woods...

Was just riding around looking at cows and marveling at how wet it is... For the most part I was riding in several inches of water. The ground is rotten and even when walking you sink a couple of inches and for my killdee ass that's saying something!!

As I was going down a right of way I was mostly looking off into the woods. I happened to glance down the road and there were some pigs about 500 or 600 yards away. The wind was hitting me at about 5 o'clock.. I killed the buggy and cut off through the woods, trying to get out in front of the wind so I wouldn't spook them. I was paralelling the right of way about 200 yards back in the woods. When I thought I had gone far enough I started slipping back towards where I had last seen the group of pigs. I had about given up thinking they had slipped away when I happened to see them through the brush about 75 yards out. Started easing out the the left trying to find an opening and finally held my ground. In a moment the one on the right gave me a shot. Hit her in the neck and worked the bolt. The rest scattered but since I had the wind on them didn't really know which way to go. Several started circling me out to the left. They must have caught a wiff as the stopped in the high alert. The little spotted sow in the middle was broadside and in the clear. Smacked her in the neck at about 50 yards. The rest took off for higher ground. Had worked the bolt and was not moving, just looking. Then I spotted the black one off to the right. It was about 100-125 yards off and running through the woods, about broadside. I looked ahead of it and saw a small opening. Got the rifle up and was swinging on the hog as it ran through the brush. As soon as it entered the opening which was about 6' I shot. The crosshairs were out in front of its head by a few inches and I thought to myself, you missed but the pig cartwheeled... Hit it in the eye....
.223 Ackley, 55 NBT's @ 3,550...

I like Pat's stories as much as the photos.
Butch